Apparently you need 2mil worth of IP for a comfortable retirement. Is anyone there yet?

Discussion in 'Investment Strategy' started by Otie, 11th Nov, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
?

Have you already accumulated 2 mil worth of property? If yes, is this made up of

1. 1 property

7 vote(s)
    3.6%
  2. 2 properties

12 vote(s)
    6.3%
  3. 3 properties

25 vote(s)
    13.0%
  4. 4 or more properties

88 vote(s)
    45.8%
  5. Haven't reached 2 mil yet.

60 vote(s)
    31.3%
  1. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

I think the heading of the thread is a little ambiguous.

wombat777 likes this.
  2. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

It is worse - to the tune of rates, utilities, insurance but the kicker is the land tax just on this double block. It doubled from last year.

However, this is our development block and we will start the process soon, so things will change significantly once we create a townhouse block. Some would say we have a "free" block, but of course, it is far from free. But it is better than a poke in the eye.

Once we have three new titles, the land tax will be lower on the blocks holding the houses. It will initially be higher, of course, until we continue through the process and decide what to build, what to sell, what to hold.

There are too many variables so we are tackling the first bits first and then will regroup.

3. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Yes, your primary residence would not be included, purely assets that generate income

MTR:)

4. sash

sash Well-Known Member

Reading this thread...and having a grin....:)...as I discussed this exact topic only this weekend...

There is a simple formula of what you need...that I developed using the 4% rule and other factors.

Here is how you can work out what you need and the key rules:

1. You need your PPOR paid off for the formula to be . This will not form any part of your asset base for generating income

2. To work out what you need as an asset base. Use the formula: desired income divided by .04 (4%). So if you need $50k annum to live comfortably...then you need $1.25m in investable assets.

3. The above formula assumes these assets are invested in assets like shares generating 5-7% per annum. If you are reliant solely on property add 20% to the asset based. So the $1.25m you will need $1.5m in fully paid property generating about 4.5-5% per annum gross.

4. If you are under 50 then you need to add another 20% to the asset base for every 10 years to ensure that you don't eat into the capital. So at 40-50 years of age...you need 20%...30-40 40%...etc.

5. Super is a bonus...if you have 500k in super and under 50...you can reduce the premium on point 4 by 20%

NB: The above assumes 2 people splitting income for tax purposes...

Gypsyblood, wombat777, lowIQ and 3 others like this.
  5. Chris Au

Chris Au Well-Known Member

Great stuff Sash.

So this is assuming that the ongoing expenses are taken out of your pension/income? Or is this 20% premium added to the IP step?

(So step 1 would be - determine all your living and investment costs, including maintenance costs of IPs etc to determine passive income required)??

6. sash

sash Well-Known Member

Yep...step one is correct....assume that you need 35-40% income for property just for maintenance and other expenses.....

Chris Au likes this.
  7. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

very very few people retire early on property income only

ta
    rolf

Kassy, MTR and TAJ like this.
  8. icic

icic Well-Known Member

I am wondering if retiring on partial equity withdraw combine with rental income is still an option this day and age. for example, say if I need 100k pa and I only have 50k of rent so I extend my loan for another 50k pa.

9. KinG3o0o

KinG3o0o Well-Known Member

10. icic

icic Well-Known Member

11. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

5 Living Off Equity Strategies to Speed up Retirement 5 Living Off Equity Strategies to Speed up Retirement

icic likes this.
  12. KinG3o0o

KinG3o0o Well-Known Member

he did say in south east asia or south america, i agree with you in a cheaper country yes he can do it.. but developing country does not equal cheaper than australia.

13. icic

icic Well-Known Member

Thanks fresh reminder Terry, I have read through it before and good to read it again. Still got a long while to go for me and lots can happen between now and then. Hopefully I will remember revisit this subject a much closer date.

14. icic

icic Well-Known Member

Developing country does generally equal to cheaper. I am struggling to found a developing country that has higher cost compare to Australia, this means also included big cities in China as almost everything is cheaper except coffee, realestates(buying, renting is cheap) and dairy products.

15. icic

icic Well-Known Member

16. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

Seen anyone adequately and sustainably LOE?

17. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

I haven't. I have seen some who have use a temporary LOE for retiring early or even a mini retirement, but not long term. I don't think it is really possible now.

18. Snowball

Snowball Well-Known Member

LOE was my plan initially. But it became pretty obvious it was not going to work in the modern finance environment, unless you're incredibly low lvr, leading to large positive cashflow.

But if lvr is that low, returns are quite poor for capital city property - so decided that selling down slowly and building dividend income from shares would be a much more sustainable and higher, long term retirement income.

End result is a simple approach not reliant on banking policies, no debt (eventually), strong income and no unexpected expenses and income increasing faster than inflation.

Jaik2012, Terry_w and willair like this.
  19. kierank

kierank Well-Known Member

He’s not a lad, he is a kid with no real life experiences.

I wouldn’t be modelling myself on his strategy. He will be on welfare in years to come.

My apologies for being so B&B (blunt and brutal).

20. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

with only 50 k rental as primary income , it will be very tough

Subject to other things it may be possible though

ta

rolf