Apparently you need 2mil worth of IP for a comfortable retirement. Is anyone there yet?

Discussion in 'Investment Strategy' started by Otie, 11th Nov, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
?

Have you already accumulated 2 mil worth of property? If yes, is this made up of

1. 1 property

7 vote(s)
    3.6%
  2. 2 properties

12 vote(s)
    6.3%
  3. 3 properties

25 vote(s)
    13.0%
  4. 4 or more properties

88 vote(s)
    45.8%
  5. Haven't reached 2 mil yet.

60 vote(s)
    31.3%
  1. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

Of course one needs productive endeavours and / or hobbies in retirement or you would be bored stiff. But hopefully if one has saved well these will be activities that you enjoy. You’re not having to do something you don’t enjoy and / or missing out on quality time with family and friends because you need to work for the income.

Pursuing career and growing business etc even if by choice is great provided it doesn’t come at the expense of more important things in life. Many get so wrapped up in themselves in persuit of career, business, personal growth, creativeness and the like they’re oblivious to what / who they’re neglecting.

All this talk about needing personal growth and being creative as if it’s the be and end all needs to kept in perspective. What about getting back to simplicity. My wife was a partner in one of the Big 4 accounting / consulting partnerships, then a senior executive in a Top 20 company and a mentor to other women etc. But she gave it all up prior to reaching her career peak and now gets greater pleasure simply growing fruit / vegetables and doing related productive activities than she ever did when working.

I posted a little on our lifestyle here:

The Vege Garden Thread

Anyone who says that “retirement is death” must be living in a different world to us or perhaps in some cases need to reassess their priorities. Our most precious asset in life is TIME! Spend it wisely.

Last edited: 23rd Nov, 2017
  2. Xenia

Xenia Well-Known Member

I have a vege garden too and basic paleo diet relying as little as possible on supermarket packaged crap. Which is a lot of “work” to maintain.

But I don’t need to be “retired” from creating wealth to have that.

3. Al1979

Al1979 Well-Known Member

I was waiting for the "I am Paleo" or "I am Vegan".

Your idea of retirement where you insinuate that people just sit there and wait to die is a far cry from how most people on here would view retirement.

Most on here would involve themselves in developments, mentoring programs, community programs, local councils, local sports clubs, travel, kids businesses etc.

Just because you retire from work doesn't mean you retire your brain.... even if you are not a creative genius...

Gladys, skater, Kevvy7 and 7 others like this.
  4. Indifference

Indifference Well-Known Member

I don’t know how one correlates “raising kids” with “work” unless one is a paid surrogate.....o_O

The notion that “retirement” is “giving up” seems so antiquated & out of touch with contemporary lifestyles and societal norms. At least in my lifetime and I’m in my 40’s....

Gladys, skater, Al1979 and 4 others like this.
  5. Xenia

Xenia Well-Known Member

Not today, just had a double chocolate magnum ice cream, but maybe 70% of the time

If you were waiting for that you are very perceptive

6. Xenia

Xenia Well-Known Member

Retirement is putting out to pasture - to die

Everything worthwhile is work

I’m not talking about a job as I don’t have one.

7. Xenia

Xenia Well-Known Member

I like to call it a mum but have you called your paid surrogate today? She is missing you. Lol

8. Indifference

Indifference Well-Known Member

Can I have that with a side serve of Paleo fruit cake & nuts?

My family is not “work” and they are very “worthwhile”.... so to are many many other things in life.

Many of us work to live and some of us are fortunate enough to even enjoy our work. I doubt many would agree with “Everything worthwhile is work” as this is often symptomatic with.......

skater, Al1979 and wylie like this.
  9. Xenia

Xenia Well-Known Member

I have 3 children - yes worthwhile but ******** hard work and expensive.

I would die for them - the ultimate expense

10. Xenia

Xenia Well-Known Member

.... and no one has to agree or not agree, it’s a view point, a perspective and neither right nor wrong. I don’t argue on people’s perspectives I just offer mine.

Now go and eat your fruitcake and enjoy your nuts on the side. I have work to do, people on this forum just give me so much of it

Lucky for them I believe in working hard and not retiring or I would be useless to everyone.

Have a lovely day xx

11. HomePage

HomePage Well-Known Member

For someone who must have often thought outside the box to achieve your entrepreneurial outcomes, you certainly have a very bounded and antiquated definition of retirement. You can think bigger than this.

Gladys, skater, kierank and 1 other person like this.
  12. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

I give up as this is getting rediculous. You’re doing nothing more than playing a game of semantics with the words “retirement” and “work”. A reasonable person is surely capable of understanding that retirement means so much more than “being put out to pasture - to die”.

Shark, skater, Kevvy7 and 5 others like this.
  13. Xenia

Xenia Well-Known Member

Google the word “retirement”

14. Xenia

Xenia Well-Known Member

Consider it me doing something that is fun that I’m not being paid for and that I enjoy- challenging people.

Isn’t that what being financially free is about?

You’re welcome :)

15. Xenia

Xenia Well-Known Member

then have some fun with it and don’t take it so seriously.
    But that actually is a definition :)

16. HomePage

HomePage Well-Known Member

Can you not see that your ignorance and arrogance on this topic is annoying people, not challenging them? Telling us that retirement is being put out to pasture - to die - is downright insulting. Challenge yourself by broadening your definition of retirement to include the activities many others and I have mentioned in this thread.

Gladys, Wanttoretire, skater and 3 others like this.
  17. Xenia

Xenia Well-Known Member

Mate I think it’s the wrong word to use. It’s misleading and whoever came up with the term “retire on property” has mislead a lot of people into struggling with no cash flow as they try to achieve a definition that is almost unattainable.

Great if some people have gotten it to work but that is not a wealth creation strategy I would teach or be associated with.

Getting core fundamentals right and 7 streams of income is my strategy.

When people try the goal to “retire on property” Pensions are affected in old age, stable income is lost because people are following some airy fairy reirement plan in their prime working years, and they see their main source of income as not being cool - being a “property investor” is cool, retirement is cool, no job is cool - how do you afford to keep those properties? Who cares I want to retire!!! However when reality hits it hits hard.

No I do not recommend retiring on property or retiring at all!!! I’ve seen too much.

18. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

Getting even sillier. Surely as intelligent human beings we’re able to understand that words can be interpreted differently depending on the context. People aren’t a google dictionary. We use common sense when listening to others to understand the meaning of what they’re saying.

I don’t know if your RE agency does Sales also but say a couple of around 50 walk into your agency stating that they want to buy a 5 acre property to “retire” to. And you reply “oh I see, you are being put out to pasture - to die”o_O. Surely you are able to understand that what they meant by the word retire potentially included a lot of future productive activities. Even more surprising is all this is coming from someone involved in the world of marketing:eek:.

Gladys and Kevvy7 like this.
  19. Xenia

Xenia Well-Known Member

And if that makes me arrogant - so be it!

20. Xenia

Xenia Well-Known Member

You think I can’t see exactly what you mean?

Think again!