Apparently Everyone Here Is To Blame

Discussion in 'Property Market Economics' started by Rixter, 22nd Jun, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. sandyfeet

sandyfeet Well-Known Member

I know the coffee analogy is probably just a generalisation, but If one thinks a couple of coffees a week is stopping them from getting ahead you probably need to look to other areas of your life to save a $$. Eg - We looked at how we shop for groceries, made a few small changes and this saves us the equivalent of 20 cups of coffee a week :)

Darren A likes this.
  2. Pistonbroke

Pistonbroke Well-Known Member

You've nailed it Sandy. Peeps have to look at their overall spending habits a coffee/day might only be $800-900 over the year but buying the premium brands each week at the supermarket or nipping off to the 7-11 for bibs & bobs would cost an arm and a leg.

I choose to catch a bus rather than paying $4 bridge toll and $25/day parking. Rarely seen in a cab.

Negotiate on anything you can whether it's a new appliance or a bank loan - you don't know if you don't ask.

I didn't flinch at paying $400 odd for a ski jacket and pants for a kid but we self cater for our annual holiday (singular as you don't need several each year). I did buy our lift passes at the early bird rate of 40% of the full amount.

3. Hanison

Hanison Well-Known Member

Spiraling property prices got you down ? ( yeh )
    Searching for cost effective alternative means to get your daily fix of Double shot, skinny, soy, mocha, frappe, extra chocolate sprinkle, caramel syrup, 2 x sugars ( splenda or stevia cause I"m conscious of my looks and health), decaf coffee ? ( nods )

Why not try caffeine pills.

100 tabs for $14
    That's 14 cents each.
    200mg of pure caffeine ( P,P Power ! ) per tab. The equivalent of 2.5 cups of espresso ! ( Wow! )
    That equates to 5.6 cents a cup.

FHB's come on down.

Flip a couple of these into your jam jar fruit juice with the over sized straw and next thing you'll be saying to your boss is.
    Your fired ! I'm running this company now.

Can't manage to save for your first home deposit ?
    Don't worry !
    After dropping a few of these little bad boys you'll want to do nothing but work.
    Everyday, for the next 6 years, Straight !

Disclaimer - Please read the label and use only as directed, seek medical advise if your incompetence still exists.

freyja, Toon, Francesco and 1 other person like this.
  4. Pistonbroke

coffee, when needed is short black at $2.50 (or less) vs any of the above at $4+

5. swanqueen

swanqueen Well-Known Member

7 dollars for a coffee? :eek:

Forget property investing; I'm gonna start investing in coffee shops in Perth. Gonna be raking it in for sure!

6. Sonamic

Sonamic Well-Known Member

If rents soften FHB's will just rent bigger, more expensive properties. To win in the "look at me" stakes.

Cactus and Darren A like this.
  7. sanj

sanj Well-Known Member Premium Member

Those prices aren't typical. $7 would be an exception and for the largest size. Our coffee is more expensive here but not to the extent often claimed. Independents are around the 50c more per coffee mark on a very broad scale

8. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Stuff that, buy some well located retail site and lease it to a coffee shop ;)

chylld likes this.
  9. Brazen

Brazen Member

There are still reasonably affordable suburbs in Sydney - try Campbelltown and the outer western suburbs, not to mention Liverpool and surround?

10. Francesco

Francesco Well-Known Member

I like your lateral thinking! :p

11. Pistonbroke

Campbelltown & Liverpool aren't in Sydney they're outer suburbs (yes they're still in the metropolitan area).

12. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

I work with young people, so I dragged around to all the lastest hipster joints where the coffee is probably more expensive. I am just used to Country Road, where a standard take away is $3 or with an extra shot, $3.5.

I might be remembering prices from a few years ago:

http://www.perthnow.com.au/news/wes...ve-coffee-at-725/story-fnhocxo3-1226612560368

before the coffee price war:

http://www.perthnow.com.au/news/wes...coffee-price-war/story-fnhocxo3-1226625364440

Either way, Perth is more expensive for a Cappuccino than other capital cities... according to the Cappuccino Price Index :)

http://www.coffee-prices.com/

13. devank

devank Well-Known Member

Not frugal enough :)

Perthguy, wylie and Bran like this.
  14. aussieB

aussieB Well-Known Member

Ahh well - if you take your investigation further, another post will show my mattress cost more than 2k. Surprising how much I have divulged. Nothing wrong in living well, saving a little and complaining :)

Last edited: 30th Jun, 2016
    devank, Perthguy, wylie and 1 other person like this.