Apartment layout and renovation

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by tattoo, 22nd Apr, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. tattoo

tattoo Well-Known Member

I'm considering renovating an apartment, to move into in the future. Just thinking about the layout and wanted to pick your brains. I'm willing to put some money into this as it could be PPOR for a few years, its in a fairly affluent area (low risk of big high risers or developers) and I had planned to reno at some stage when as the bathroom and kitchen is pretty dated. At same time I don't want to do things that may not be appealing for future buyers

First up, knocking down the kitchen wall and creating open kitchen with an island. Cons are, there will be even less space for pantry/kitchen storage with that side gone and cost more with wall knock down. It is possible as another apartment in same building and layout has done it. I personally prefer closed kitchens so if I could make it work with the wall, I would but it is small though

original.jpg

Then what to do with the different sections
    A - Tv and lounge is the usual set up. But this will have to change if its open kitchen. Feels like its a waste if dining table and chairs as it faces the light
    B - dining table and chairs is probably the usual, but I don't need a big one and probably won't use it often. Would like an area for books and armchairs
    C - is there room for small study/workspace ? don't want it to be sticking out from corridor though
    D - wasted space at the moment, would like this to be functional - maybe cabinet for storage or coffee machine ?

Bathroom - is small. The toilet is seperate. Any ideas on how to improve the current layout ? I think the bathtub is shallower and narrower then usual size. Would like a bathtub and shower. The counter can fit sinks but could be made smaller to make use of space
    bathroom.jpg

appreciate any thoughts or ideas

2. Pumpkin

Pumpkin Well-Known Member

Busy Monday so pardon me for short reply.

I also have an apartment (IP) and one thing I will most likely do in my next Reno would be to remove laundry tubs. Cant see where yours is, so here's my thoughts.

In our apartment we have 2 bathrooms: The ensuite is fine, with shower, toilet and basin. But the one for sharing contains shower-over-bath, toilet, basin, washing machine and a fullsize laundry tub. It becomes very crowded and at times I feel claustrophobic.... I think having two basins (hand and laundry) in such a small place is silly. Afterall, there is a bathtub if I am ever so included to soak anything. The laundry tube was never used and has become a storage spot....... So my plan is to remove the two basins and replace with one only. The challenge is to find a suitable sink, which I think I have.

Happy Reno'ing.

3. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

Our son rented a unit with this set-up. There was a bench with one larger basin set into it. It was probably the size and shape of a kitchen sink, can’t remember the material it was made from.
    Marg

4. tattoo

tattoo Well-Known Member

there is a seperate laundry (which is great) which probably will just have a biggish tub, the washing machine and still debating whether to have a dryer above it or stacked above (if super lazy) the washing machine.

5. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

It would be helpful to see the whole plan but my idea would be

A + B are plentiful for a combined living/dining. Put the dining at the balcony end and the living at the other end.

If you don't want a dining room then use that end for arm chairs and book cases.

Consider extending the kitchen to the edge of the corridor (area D) and put in some more storage that you will lose if you take out the wall to make it open plan. You can leave the fridge in it's current location and keep that small part of wall or relocate it into the extended area.

Create a study nook in C

Bathroom:
    - A floating vanity in the bathroom might make it feel bigger but there is no real obvious changes here if you still want a separate bath and a shower
    - a less deep vanity with semi recessed sinks - ie a 450mm deep vanity instead of what is probably a 600mm vanity.
    - your bath looks normal size to me and I don't think could be wider without having reduced access by it. If you changed it to a free standing 1400mm bath it could seem bigger and these baths are deeper so will be a better bath Contemporary Luna Back to Wall Bath 1400 | Caroma
    - you then might have space to make the shower a bit bigger

6. tattoo

tattoo Well-Known Member

Thanks @Westminster
    Here is the full plan
    floorplan.jpg
    In the layout attached, I was entertaining idea of turning it into galley kitchen, so that both sides of the benches can utilised and wall won't be knocked down.
    If it was to become an open plan kitchen, I think the fridge will need to be reallocated, it would like a bit weird in middle of the room . what if I just had the island big enough to be the dining table and skip a dining section all together...

if B becomes the tv and lounge, the tv will have to be up against the bottom wall as I don't the want ppl coming through corridor to look into back of the couch. But a 3 seater in the middle of the room could be making the space look smaller too.

For the bathroom, what if I switched the shower and the bath's position? The shower can be slightly longer in length, the bath can fit in that extra space on the right. The tub though is a bit hidden. The freestanding example in your link seems good idea. Here are some playing around.

bathroom1.jpg bathroom2.jpg

Bedroom 1 - is the bed better against/under the window or on the side ? I'd like a fit a bigger wardrobe in, so maybe an Lshaped one

7. housechopper2

housechopper2 Well-Known Member

For the bathroom I would remove the bath completely and replace with a large frameless shower. Where the existing shower is I would replace with storage cabinet, open shelves or consider adding a second toilet.

Consider how often you plan to use the bath - when you have limited space, I think it's important to maximise the items you will to use most often.