Apartment flooring

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by significance, 7th Sep, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. significance

significance Well-Known Member

I am in the process of buying an upper level apartment. In the short term, it’s to live in, but I have an eye on the possibility of renting it out after a couple of years (it’s well-positioned for short-term or long-term rental). The carpet is worn, so I would like to replace it and would like to get opinions on the options.:
    • My aesthetic favourite is floorboards, but I have heard that floorboards can have problems with warping in the tropics. Is that true? I am also concerned about noise for the downstairs neighbours - can that be mitigated with some sort of underlay?
    • Tiles and slate can also look good and be easy to care for, but noise seems even more likely to be an issue.
    • Carpet would be the default option. Any tips on what type of carpet?
    • Cork can look and feel nice and would be quiet, but I would guess it would be easily damaged or stained?
    • Lino is ugly - not considering it.

2. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Pretty scant on information....

Tropics - Thursday island? Cairns? Magnetic Island? Mackay? Gladstone? Sunshine coast? Brisbane? Goldie? Assuming that you're looking at Qld.

Are there any bylaws affecting the type of flooring that you can use?

What is the rental market you're aiming at? Lower/middle/high/premium?

3. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

You say not looking at Lino but what about Vinyl planks? It's going to do well with acoustics and is very easy for a rental

As @Scott No Mates says there may be guidelines and bylaws you need to adher to for the unit.

This is 6mm commercial vinyl planks in a residential install:

IMG_1570.jpeg IMG_1590.jpeg

This is Vtech hybrid vinyl planks in a residential install Woodpecker Flooring — V-Tech HyBRid Series IMG_1389.jpeg

craigc and bmc like this.
  4. significance

significance Well-Known Member

Townsville. Anything south of Rockhampton is subtropical :)

Towards the higher end of the range — the type of apartment that’s advertised as for executive couples. But not tippy-top premium. Short-term or long-term rental are both options. There’s an on-site property manager for short-term rentals in the building, though the building is 65% owner-occupied.

Bylaws are not specific, but do require me to get approval from the body corporate. Some other flats in the building look as though they do have floorboards, but most are carpeted.

@Westminster, perhaps I should take a look at vinyl. Those pics look quite good. How long does it last?

5. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

@significance - vinyl lasts a long time, check out how many shops use vinyl flooring (you probably won't pick it).

significance likes this.
  6. cherayzie

cherayzie Member

We replaced ours with laminate floorboards. It was also an apartment on the 15th floor. It requires an acoustic underlay and strata needed to approve what we’re installing to ensure there won’t be issues with noise. Your installer will provide a certificate that will be used for the review.

significance likes this.
  7. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

It lasts a very long time. You still need to go for quality and not the cheapest - look for good warranty, good acoustic rating and thickness. The stuff I use is about $55-65 per square metre supply and installed so is more expensive than carpet but much cheaper than hardwood floors.
    The ranges that I use are also fine if they get wet - so if someone leaves open a window and rain gets in, dishwasher floods, drink of water spilled it's AOK.

significance likes this.
  8. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Anytime you wish to change the flooring in a unit it needs to pass their sound proof standards. If it's wood then will need to pass a minimum standard noise proof underlay. Tiling ( besides wet areas) is tricky and some bylaws won't let you tile unless you sign waivers that you agree to pay for any damage to the subfloor.

Best to talk to the strata management of your plans to see what you need to satisfy for your specific flooring plans.