Anything and Everything about Superannuation

Discussion in 'Superannuation, SMSF & Personal Insurance' started by trinity168, 15th Feb, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. BunnyXiao

BunnyXiao Well-Known Member

Yeah can play around with the options allocations in the investment mixes available. Maybe all cash for a bit then look at balanced, growth, ETFs and move it back out overseas again for better returns.

BillyN likes this.
  2. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

I've chosen to have some in government bond ETFs (like VGB) and gold (QAU) as a way of diversifying from purely share related assets. There are other sectors available like commercial property trust ETFs and infrastructure - as well as international shares. These haven't formed a major part of my portfolio, they've just provided some peace of mind as a backup. I've gone largely cash since the pandemic, with just a small share allocation.

3. BunnyXiao

BunnyXiao Well-Known Member

Thanks for sharing. I think many of you are a bit more clued up than me so I will set up my superannuation allocations switch this week for SANF. Thanks all

4. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

I'm not particularly clued up. But I don't have the size of portfolio necessary to set and forget, and I'm past retirement age, so I sacrifice some better returns in exchange for a little capital preservation.

The gold performance has helped offset some losses from the share market to a small extent. Most of my shares I sold a few days into the covid collapse, and I'm still holding a reasonable portion in cash ATM.

BunnyXiao likes this.
  5. Redwing

Redwing Well-Known Member

Westpac and its super arm BT gouge $8 billion from unsuspecting public

The super funds run by banks and financial institutions – many of them major Coalition donors – have been fleecing the public’s super on an industrial scale for at least a decade. This is the story Westpac and News Corp Australia didn’t want you to see in mid-2018 – even in the middle of a royal commission into banking illegality. Investigative reporter Anthony Klan reports.

Westpac has gouged more than $8 billion from the savings of its almost 1 million superannuation fund members over the past decade, including by operating a complex web of obscure paper companies, many of which generate huge fees despite having no employees and doing no work.

The opaque, almost impenetrable structure has enabled Westpac, through its “funds management” arm BT Financial Group, to charge vast fees.

Massive fees and charges are the key reason why, on average, the 950,000 members of Westpac’s Retirement Wrap, which holds $62 billion of retirement savings, has seen overall returns of roughly half actual market rates over the decade to June 30 2017.

The return is even below the return on risk-free “cash” investments and barely above inflation.

cont..

geoffw and Anne11 like this.
  6. SatayKing

SatayKing Well-Known Member

An oldie but a goodie in more ways than one.

21-167MR ASIC and Dixon Advisory enter conditional agreement to resolve ASIC civil penalty action | ASIC - Australian Securities and Investments Commission

"The heads of agreement follow Court-ordered mediation and propose that Dixon Advisory pay a $7.2 million penalty for breaches of the Corporations Act as well as $1 million to pay ASIC’s costs of its investigation and legal proceedings. The in-principle resolution between the two parties is subject to approval from the Court.

An ASX announcement outlining the agreement was made by E&P Financial Group Limited on 9 July 2021."

7. Never giveup

Never giveup Well-Known Member

From this FY I have decided to do Salary Sacrufice on 15% tax but won't exceed 25K.

I will have to work out with my Accountant on the previous year contribution if I can bring back etc.

8. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

Happy-Old-People.jpg

SatayKing likes this.
  9. ChrisP73

ChrisP73 Well-Known Member

Note from this FY concessional contribution cap has been increased from 25K p/a to 27.5K p/a

10. ChrisP73

Information is available via ATO online portal accessed via mygov. Refer to the 'balance' under the red start below :)

upload_2021-7-11_19-36-18.png

11. Never giveup

12. Never giveup

Could I just confirm that the amount showing under Unused Concessional Contribution Cap Available is the amount I can pay into my super with 15% tax as lump sump or regular deduction from my pay?

13. ChrisP73

I *believe* that's the case, but I havn't done it as I've always used my cap, so I can't be sure. Maybe call your super fund and the ATO to confirm.

Also note that the unused CCC doesn't include the current FY year, just previous FTs.

Never giveup likes this.
  14. Redwing

Redwing Well-Known Member

Australia's wealthiest are exploiting a superannuation tax loophole, and it's costing ordinary people

15. Baker

Baker Well-Known Member

16. ChrisP73

Wouldn't you just love to see the names of the trustees :eek:

SatayKing likes this.
  17. SatayKing

SatayKing Well-Known Member

Stop being so shy about it. C'mon fess up. :)

18. ChrisP73

To be honest I'm surprised there's only 27 funds with more that 100m. I thought it would be at least hundreds.

Would be curious to see the asset allocation / holding of the top 27. My guess is a fair wack of business really property. Total guess though.

19. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Just remember that the June 21 balances are not yet updated so a person could contribute $25,001 - $75K now and find in a month they were ineligible as their total super balances were > $500,000.

ChrisP73 likes this.
  20. qak

qak Well-Known Member

Can't really imagine that sort of growth in property in that year.
    I'd be more inclined to think it's shares myself; and probably a high weighting to something in particular.

I'd be more interested to know what the costs of running that fund were for a year!

ChrisP73 likes this.