Anyone raised a house in Brisbane lately?

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by Biz, 23rd Jul, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Tim86

Tim86 Well-Known Member

No need for that. Just ring someone like Matt Cain and they sort the whole job out for you.

I guess I could charge 5-10% for giving Matt a ring for people :)

Honestly though, I'm ridiculously busy with my own projects, any time I think of doing something extra I'm just kidding myself.

RetireRich101 likes this.
  2. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

Maybe also look at the plumbing-elecs- and study where the power pole entry point is because just those three items can blow the budget out of the water real quick..

RetireRich101 likes this.
  3. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

That sounds pretty reasonable, I might be looking at this one day.
    Did you need a special licence/approval to do the stumping yourself?

4. Tim86

Tim86 Well-Known Member

No special license etc.. just have to do them according to what the certifier specifies. Height, depth, width, thickness of metal, etc....

Faavae Avia likes this.
  5. Luke C

Luke C Member

I backed out of a potential subdivision project just last week as I could not get a clear understanding on the cost to slide and lift the house!
    If i could have slide the house 5m and lift the deal would have stacked up well but if it blew out past 50 I would be start to be very tight! I ended up crashing the deal as I could not get comfortable with the figures!! it did my head in!

6. Elives

Elives Well-Known Member

Hi Tim,

i'm currently looking at a queenslander that would seem good to build underneath, working of your figures do you mind me asking how much it cost to to put slab down and how many m2? etc the property i'm looking at is about 160m2 with a slope of about 1m from 1 end to the other. i've heard 200k thrown around a lot which seems to expensive to make it worth it.

Cheers, Elives

7. Tim86

Tim86 Well-Known Member

Fyi cain house removers arent doing houses any more. But Ive used black and white house raising a couple of times and they are really good.

They were about 8k to raise. And I stumped the house myself for about $10k for my 10m by 10m house.

I didnt do a slab so I cant tell u that price.

I did bearers and joists. Forget exact price to do that. Maybe $30 m2 for the timber floors and $1500 to 2k for the joists and about the same for the steel bearers.

Wouldnt surprise me if to build in under as well someone would charge you 200k total.

Elives likes this.
  8. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I think about $20k to raise and the same again for the slab and connecting up. Another $10k to batten in. Actually, that comes to $50k but I've allowed $100k as a "worst case scenario". The draftsman who drew up the houses we need to lift said building under would be a $300k job, but that would be total reno of the existing house (ie. new bathroom and kitchen upstairs), cutting in new stairs, new front entry and adding a second bathroom plus powder room.

When we need to price this more accurately, I certainly will be getting in touch with Black and White as per Tim's post. We've used Budget several times over the years and will get them to quote too.

It is hard to get ballpark figures, because the basic lift is just the tip of the iceberg, but I did call one of the big house lifters and they were very helpful in giving ballpark figures for the lift, plus estimates for the slab, utilities hook up etc.

chindonly, Tim86 and Elives like this.
  9. Elives

Elives Well-Known Member

cost u 10k for stumps no labour included? also did you use bearers and joists because of the slope / soil? the property i'm looking at is sloping i'd say at least a 1m slope from 1 end to another end of the building.

Tim86 likes this.
  10. wylie

Do you mean the floor slopes by one metre from one end of the house to the other? :eek:

11. Whitecat

Whitecat Well-Known Member

I got 2 quotes for a place on sloping block.
    $80k estimate from 2 different guys to raise and slab under (retained due to slope) and cladded

12. Elives

Elives Well-Known Member

yes, maybe it's less then a metre just going by eye.

13. wylie

Did that include some retaining wall outside and separate to the slab? What is "cladding" (weatherboard or battens)?
    And does that price include reconnection of services?

14. Tim86

Tim86 Well-Known Member

My sisters last project had a sloping block so they did what I did with my house. Raised and then did bearers and joists. It really is a pretty cheap and effective way of doing it. If you want carpet or tiles or laminate you can use yellow tongue on top of the joists instead of laying hardwood floors. But I do really like the hardwood floors.

15. Tim86

Tim86 Well-Known Member

Actually one caveat. Although bearers and joists is cheaper it is also something a lot of builders arent accustomed to. So they may charge more just because of that.

16. Tim86

Tim86 Well-Known Member

Yeah my own lavour so 10k for stumps doesnt include labour.

17. Whitecat

It was about a property I was looking to buy at auction.
    I spoke to two guys on the phone only but asked to talk at a time when they could have a proper chat. I believe they were sincere.
    I cannot remember exactly exactly but it was to get it so you could drive under it and shut it all up. I am pretty sure it would have included reconnection of services. Because it was to be phase 1 (create the car space). Then phase 2 would be build beds bath etc under. The figures were about 80 to 90k. I believe one included steps up to the now higher door.
    what I needed to know was how much to make an off street parking (none existing). Sorry I don't know if weatherboards or battens but you could estimate the difference, they are similar in some aspects, still timber, still need install, but weatherboards more expensive, maybe more install time too to watertight.

18. wylie

Thanks @Whitecat. We are pondering whether to pay for new external stairs and battens when it is possible we will build under at some stage. I'd hate to pay for two sets of news stairs that will be removed (on two houses too - so four sets of new stairs).

And battening in for one house was quoted by our fencer at about $5k (from memory). But I'd rather put that $5k towards weatherboarding it out, installing windows and leaving it at that stage until we are ready to put plasterboard in and make it liveable downstairs.

I also prefer to create a new downstairs entry now and install stairs where they will end up being in the finished two level house. That might mean enclosing the stairwell for now until we build actual rooms under.

The dilemma is that we can get the houses lifted, shifted, reconnected and they are "as is" except higher for between $50k and $100k and leave the rest for potential buyers (if we decide to sell), or spend another $150k to make them two storey upgraded, upmarket houses. They will rent for more, but it will cost a lot more to do that, and it is money we then don't have to build the townhouses at the back.

So, for me the best of both worlds is to lift, shift, reconnect, weatherboards, windows, new front door and internal stairs and rent them again while we decide what to do next. It will be a bit strange, but means we are not wasting money on four sets of stairs and battens we will possibly remove down the track.

The downside is that if we decide to sell, potential buyers will then see the houses as "unfinished" so we could be shooting ourselves in the foot.

We have plenty of time to make these decisions though and thinking it through keeps my mind busy.

Elives likes this.
  19. Whitecat

A good agent will get buyers to see incredible value and opportunity in an unfinished house

20. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

I've sent them about 15 messages, no reply...
    Hope they're still in business. Maybe lots of work on - which would make it more expensive I guess.

PFI can assist you with your investment strategies for your SMSF, Life Cover for your members and assistance with compliance. We provide the research to ensure your investment selections achieve the goals. This is the value of advice