Anyone lived , spent time in San Francisco , what did you think?

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by random, 16th Jul, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. random

random Well-Known Member

Gday people.

Got a friend wants to move over to Oz from SanFran, but l dunno, San Fran looks fantastic to me.
    She says looks can be very deceiving and she spent 6mths traveling Oz and absolutely loved it and wants to move over.

What do you think of SanFran , US in fact, verses Oz or pretty well anything you have to say , thoughts, appreciated.

Cheers

2. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

I've never lived in San Francisco, but I did fall in love, and got married there (not both at the same time). Does that count? I love it to visit, but I don't know what it's like to live there.

One particular problem with San Francisco is the fog, which does occur fairly frequently at some times of the year - San Francisco fog - Wikipedia

But many people just like a change from their home turf. People especially who like to travel like to experience something different from their own home. I'm not especially interested now to see parts of Australia I haven't seen ,or New Zealand, as I'd prefer to experience a bit of a different culture. I have lived in the US and England. So your friend probably just wants a change of scenery.

I really enjoyed my time in the US at high school, but that was a long time ago (my old school class is having a significant reunion today), but I was perhaps a little disappointed that culturally we were so much alike. I'd prefer to live in Latin America now- but then, my wife is Latin American and she has no great desire to live in a culture so similar again.

SOULFLY3 likes this.
  3. datto

datto Well-Known Member

"If you're going to San Francisco
    Be sure to wear some flowers in your hair
    If you're going to San Francisco
    You're gonna meet some gentle people there"....Scott McKenzie

Watched a few docos on San Fran. Interesting place. The hippies turned the place around in the 1960's giving free food away and smoking pot.

The establishment didn't like this and apparently introduced heroin to the weed smokers and that was the end of them.

The other doco was about the first gay mayor candidate who was murdered by a fireman (who got off very lightly).

4. geoffw

Milk (2008) - IMDb

Harvey Milk was murdered in the place we were married (SF City Hall).

Now back on topic... anyone?

datto likes this.
  5. Bayview

Bayview Well-Known Member

I lived for 12 months an hour north of San Fran at a place called Santa Rosa - innthe Napa Valley.....we went to San Fran for day trips on a few ocasions...very beautiful, very interesting and vibrant City.

As with all big cities; can be problematic to get around if you want to try and drive, and like Sydney; there is also the added issue of getting around the Bay.

They do have ferries which go back and forth from various points though.

The region is beautiful; south back towards Santa Cruz, Carmel, Monterey Bay, and then north to where we were; wineries, Forest of the Giants, National Parks, bushwalks, mountains and so on.

Unfortunately; the beaches up north are not really swimming beaches; water is freezing and lots of fog even in summer, but glorious scenery everywhere

I could live there without any hesitation I reckon.

Last edited: 16th Jul, 2017
    wylie and vbplease like this.
  6. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

One thing to consider is health cover, make sure you have this sorted if you moved to SF or anywhere in USA

Bayview likes this.
  7. Bayview

good point.

It was crap when we were there back in 2005-08...pre-dated Obamacare.

8. vbplease

vbplease Well-Known Member

Are you trying to convince your friend not to come to Aus because SanFran seems better? Living abroad for a few years is one of the best experiences you can do in life, imo.

i love SanFran.. in fact the whole west coast (except for LA, bit too big for me).

Although the beaches aren't that pretty and water freezing, the surf is great in some places. A good wetsuit helps.

I'd happily live in Seattle too.. or Montana - the whole state looks like a postcard and the activities are unreal.

wylie and geoffw like this.
  9. geoffw

I spent a few days in Santa Rosa. Charles Schulz (Peanuts comic strip) used to live and work there- I met him, and spent 20 minutes chatting with him, in the ice skating rink which his wife had built out of her pocket money.

I lived out of Seattle for a year, way back before it was famous. The state is beautiful. A highlight was hiking for a week in the Cascades. It's a nice place to live, but the rain (snow not so often) can get a bit much. People don't tan in Seattle, they rust.

SOULFLY3, MTR and Bayview like this.
  10. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Right, not surprising.

I am currently in US, we took out medical cover/insurance for one year, cost us around $1000.

Not taking any chances, as we will be spending around 8 months of the year in US. Just keep renewing this. I don't trust the credit cards that provide medical cover

SOULFLY3 likes this.
  11. geoffw

From a previous post, this is travel insurance rather than US based insurance.

Some companies don't cover for more than 12 months on a single go, and you have to go with a different company after that.

12. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Really, thanks, did not realise this... damn. I used travelcover

13. geoffw

I don't know how they work, but it's worth while knowing beforehand if it does affect you.

I've had two daughters on very extensive overseas trips, trying to organise these things when the internet was much more patchy.

MTR likes this.
  14. random

random Well-Known Member

Nope she just often asks me different stuff and l just say ****, l just think oz would be a very very boring nanny state after San Fran. Not to mention our cost of living, over tax over lawed and over everything else.
    Although cost wise l was told San Fran is the second dearest state in the US , but hell , looks like fun and has so much.
    l know her rent, she sold her house in Jersey and moved over to Cali and renting now, for just a tiny little unit , tiny, it is really nice though , has an open fire and all, is about 1900 a mth and that was the cheapest thing she could find in San fran. ahh , that would allow 2 cats.

15. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Just a side issue........Tell your friend to use the funds from the sale of her property and buy another property because USA property market is generally booming and it wont get any easier.

Also, rents are increasing, I keep putting up the rents on my properties in USA, I am assuming this is happening everywhere

16. Jamie Moore

Jamie Moore MORTGAGE BROKER - AUSTRALIA WIDE Business Member

I've only spent a short amount of time there but it seems like a great city. Having said that - money from the tech industry probably drives up the cost of living so no doubt it's an expensive place to live.

There seems to be plenty of stuff to do outside of the city as someones touched on above.

I could think of worse places to live! But I can also understand the appeal of Oz too :) We've got it pretty sweet here.

Cheers

Jamie

17. random

random Well-Known Member

So just what is iy exactly that makes Oz sweet in any way or anything special as compared with other countries, the good ones l mean of course.
    l dunno , l've really lost it for Australia last 10 yrs or so with things mentioned above.
    We've lost all the things this last decade or two l use to like about oz.
    l do still love the land itself though, the country as such, even it's shape.

18. Bayview

WOW! You met him?!!

Yeah; Amazing life he had...and did you see all the Peanuts statues dotted all over Santa Rosa? Literally dozens of them...I went to his Museum; fantastic...they even named the Windsor airport after him...
    charles schultz airport - Google Search

19. Bayview

I suggest change where you live...move to another part of Aus - it is still great in most areas.

Toon, MTR and vbplease like this.
  20. Captain Tuttle

Captain Tuttle New Member

As someone that spends a lot of time travelling throughout the US, including SF, I'd always recommend to Americans that they would enjoy Australia. SF is a great place to visit but it has it's own issues. SF is broken up into districts and you can walk two blocks and be in a completely different area and in some cases you can walk one block and be lucky to get out with your wallet. Tenderloin and Mission districts are an example where if you take a wrong turn you'll be in trouble. Likewise, go across the bay to Oakland and see how you fair. They also have a fairly large homeless population although this is true of pretty much every US city.

Australia has a lot of positives over the US. We don't have issues with gun violence, our weather is more stable, our public education and health systems are better, and our cities generally have less pollution. Plus we are culturally similar and speak the same language (sort of) so it makes the transition fairly painless.