Anyone know what this algae is on my dam?

Discussion in 'Landscaping' started by Propagate, 15th Sep, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Propagate

Propagate Well-Known Member

Been in this place almost 2 years, no issue last winter but this winter our dam is choked.

Neighbour reckons it’s seasonal and will dye off when the Tempe rises. Their dam is clear, as are most of the neighbors bar one small one down the road that has the same issue.

Doesn’t bother me as such but it’s keeping the water birds away, last year we had masses of types if water bird, this year they just fly over thinking it’s grass I guess.

I’d like to know what it is and if I can eradicate it somehow.

844D739F-1E64-49F4-87DC-E63637A2193D.jpeg AB00C639-072B-4893-8A9A-95050F5E4608.jpeg

2. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

Might be Azolla? Does it have roots or flowers?

3. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

Wow they look like succulents.

4. Propagate

Don't know, I'll pull some out tonight if I get chance and have a closer look.

They sure do look like succulents up close @Lacrim quite pretty actually, but completely choking the dam.

5. Propagate

Did some Google image searches, I reckon you could be right with Azolla @Westminster says it likes warmer water too though, so might not be much chance of it dieing off any time soon!

Says it can double its own surface area in a week!

Mght have to get he pool net out and just try and rake a bit our for now so the ducks have somewhere to swim at least.

6. Depreciator

Depreciator Well-Known Member

Is it algae? Looks like a plant that someone gave me years ago for the pond in our courtyard. It provided cover for fish. Boy, it grew fast. The people who gave it to us said it was a weed and to not let it escape. Looks like it escaped. I just pulled it out and put it on the garden as mulch. Your pond is a bit bigger.

7. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

If only hedges could grow this fast and prolifically.

As others said, hopefully a blistering summer will get rid of it. It probably needs to be really cold or really hot.

Or maybe a business idea that just landed on your lap.
    https://www.thekitchn.com/is-this-the-food-of-the-future-126964

8. Propagate

From half an hour of Googling, and the Azolla suggestion from Westminster I'd say it's definitely Azolla. From what I've been reading it seems there'll be a "perishable event" where basically it gets so out of hand it chokes itself to death, but then the decaying biomass wipes out anything else in the dam. Shame, as it's full of yabbies and fish and we've had a resident cormorant as well as the regular array of ducks and waterfowls to date.

Might make a massive skimmer from some plumbing pipe, pool noodles and fruit nets, see if I can drag a good chunk of it out, should breakdown nicely in he compost heap too I'm guessing.

Terry_w likes this.
  9. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

Good size dam,I would say that it's Azolla and it quickly takes over freshwater bodies//particularly nutrient rich ones from my experience..
    It also can block pumps and filters plus reducing oxygen levels and choking out other plants and animals such as fish..
    But I could be wrong..imho..

Propagate likes this.
  10. Depreciator

Depreciator Well-Known Member

A lane rope from a swimming pool would be a good starting point for a skimmer.

Propagate likes this.
  11. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

I know a guy with a mower, dunno if he can walk on water :oops:

Never giveup and Propagate like this.
  12. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

It can be poisoned. Earlier the better to limit it spreading to other water bodies. Assume the poison will kill all in the water too. Its a plant that falls under the biosecurity duties. You are meant to kill it. Physically remove with a net and can be used in compost. (Not sure of spores ?). Looks like a challenge as it divides and doubles in 3-10 days.

NSW WeedWise.

Propagate likes this.
  13. Westminster

If it's Azolla then it actually has some rather good positives but yours is a little out of control. If you have any chickens you can feed it to them as it's nice and high in protein and all sort of good goodies

The yabbies and fish are probably having a field day eating it and being protected from the birds :)

Terry_w, Propagate and The Y-man like this.
  14. Westminster

Propagate and The Y-man like this.
  15. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

The high nitrogen and carbon dioxide wont thrill any life left in the dam. It sits on top to suck the oxygen.

My mate has a farm and say this works and doesnt seem to kill everything if you act quickly : Aquatic Technologies - Free Floating Aquatic Weed Control Not a herbicide. It forces the plant to absorb water and then die.

Propagate likes this.
  16. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

I would contact your local council to see if they have any advice.

It may not be considered a noxious weed in Vic. Though it is clearly a problem in your dam.

I notice it being sold on Gumtree for $5 a plant!

Last edited: 15th Sep, 2020
  17. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

18. spludgey

spludgey Well-Known Member

Definitely not!

19. Propagate

Looks like I know what I’m doing all weekend then! We’ve got a few chooks left, I’ll read the links properly at work tomorrow. I don’t like the idea of putting anything in there to control it so hopefully I can get on top of it manually, then like Dan says, if I can get the numbers low enough I should be able to keep on top of it

20. Westminster

Dan knows everything :) it's all about managing the increases so that the system doesn't get overloaded.