Anyone here ever moved for property?

Discussion in 'Investment Strategy' started by hammer, 26th Jun, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. hammer

hammer Well-Known Member

I am thinking about taking a job in Townsville....for a whole host of reasons...but mostly because I'd end up with another property.

If I took the job, my wife and I could move to Townsville and the rent from our current Darwin PPOR (we bought well) even in the current market would pay for the repayments on a cheap PPOR in Townsville. Essentialy we'd have the same outgoings but 2 properties instead of one?

Apart from some risk this seems like a no-brainer? Surely I have I missed something?

Can anyone see any flaws in my logic?

WattleIdo likes this.
  2. Jess Peletier

Jess Peletier Mortgage Broker & Finance Strategy, Aus Wide! Business Member

Townsville is beautiful - do it! :) Oh - check your insurance costs there, they'll be pretty high due to cyclones and so on.

WattleIdo, hammer and legallyblonde like this.
  3. Darwin55

Darwin55 Well-Known Member

Half considering a move there after inpex finishes too. So cheap compared to Darwin. Looks like it will pick up too.

4. Jamie Moore

Jamie Moore MORTGAGE BROKER - AUSTRALIA WIDE Business Member

I'd rent for a while before committing to a purchase. Get a feel for where you'd like to live first. Much easier to do when you've been on the ground for a while.

Cheers

Jamie

jim1964, goodtimes and WattleIdo like this.
  5. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

I have moved to a Sydney suburb I didnt previously consider for the sake of its expected performance. But if it was an uncertain and unsure financial performance interstate or a region I dont know I would probably avoid purchase like Jamie says and rent for a while. Esp up north.

All the horrid stories of people getting dusted seem to be in coastal areas and north of the centreline of the country on either coast. Resources, tourism and resources prop them up. And storms, commodity prices and the economy seem to smash them. That said if I lived in Townsville and was thinking of moving & buying in Sydney or Melbourne I see no reason to race to buy either

6. Cimbom

Cimbom Well-Known Member

We moved from Canberra to Sydney for work and thought we'd like to stay. We couldn't buy anywhere we'd want to live so we are moving back into our house in Canberra.

I don't mind the idea of renting but it was a combination of factors such as high rents compared to the quality of what we were renting and how much this cost compared to our mortgage that ultimately lead to the decision. I certainly don't think there's anything wrong with moving to get a property but I agree with the others and wouldn't do it without at least living there for a few months first.

MikeyBallarat likes this.
  7. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

I do it all the time!

freyja and hammer like this.
  8. goodtimes

goodtimes Well-Known Member

Yep. I spent ages priced out of the market for the types of properties I like, so I moved to a place where I could afford them. Working for me.