Health & Family Anyone else drink green smoothies?

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by JenW, 25th Oct, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Jess Peletier

Jess Peletier Mortgage Broker & Finance Strategy, Aus Wide! Business Member

We drink something similar to that most mornings - we call it 'pond scum' - especially if we're out of beetroot!

mouseburger and JenW like this.
  2. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

Any recipes without banana? I'm drinking fruit smoothies for now, but would be great to branch to the healthier veggie half :confused:

Blender - get Froothie Optimum range, pretty good for the price

JenW likes this.
  3. JenW

JenW Well-Known Member

Just tried a new one. 200g celery and 200g cucumber, with a little bit of water - maybe a couple of teaspoons? Note: not recommended if you're not a cucumber fan.... my husband recoiled in disgust when he smelt it!! But it is nice and refreshing, and very, very healthy :D

EN710 likes this.
  4. BKRinvesting

BKRinvesting Well-Known Member

This is exactly what I was going to recommend - Kale chips are surprisingly good. Except I don't bother with the cheese.

I went through a period of having a smoothie every breaky (post-gym),
    Frozen fruit, banana or oats, double scoop of whey protein, water.
    Would add spirulina or spinach if I felt like I needed a few more greens in my diet.

Have moved back to weetbx for the moment though due to renos. (less time in the kitchen = either more sleep or more renos :) )

JenW likes this.
  5. JenW

JenW Well-Known Member

Discovered a new combo this morning. 135g whole strawberries (about 2/3 small punnet), 220g pineapple and 50g spinach. No yoghurt added because it didn't need it - the strawberries seemed to make it thick enough. Not amazing in terms of the amount of vegies involved - but nice and low in calories - only 146 cals. And yummy :D

I'm also looking into adding rolled oats or teff (small Ethiopian grain which is similar to wheat, but gluten free) - teff especially is supposed to be really high in protein. Anyone else used grains in their smoothies? Apart from pre-soaking in water, is there anything else I should consider doing with the grains?

EN710 likes this.
  6. JenW

JenW Well-Known Member

Trying something new for my breakfast smoothie tomorrow. Husband cooked dinner tonight, which included baby carrots. Thinking ahead (for once ;) ) I snaffled the carrot tops before they went in the compost. Tomorrow I'll be having a smoothie with them, as follows: 55g carrot tops, 90g celery, 160g mango, 125g no-fat, no-added-sugar vanilla yoghurt. The carrot tops are a direct substitute for my usual choice of baby spinach leaves.
    Just thought I'd clarify - when I say 'carrot tops' I mean just the leaves - no actual root of the carrot involved.

EN710 likes this.
  7. Jamie Moore

Jamie Moore MORTGAGE BROKER - AUSTRALIA WIDE Business Member

lol - beetroot makes all the difference. It's my fav thing to put in the juicer.

8. JenW

JenW Well-Known Member

When you say 'beetroot', I'm guessing you're talking about fresh beetroot? Can't imagine the tinned stuff going in. But maybe I'm turning into a food snob.

Redwing likes this.
  9. Chris Au

Chris Au Well-Known Member

The kale and fruit blend is the same as mine. I have milk kefir (yep, I'm trying some of that..., fish oil (omega 3's), kale, berries, banana, chia seeds, rolled oats, vanilla protein powder and cocoa powder (makes it soooo chocolately - hides any awful tastes! :D

I haven't heard anything about making nutrients more accessible, but I have heard credible sources say that your digestion system doesn't have to work as hard as the digestion has already started as everything is pulped (so could do the opposite in making your system lazier and therefore the food passing through faster?? - a guess)

10. euro73

euro73 Well-Known Member Business Member

The beautiful Hills District, Sydney Australia
    Spinach, Kale and Banana in the Vitamix every morning .

11. Chris Au

Chris Au Well-Known Member

Does this have a bitter note to it?? What liquid do you have with this mix?

I have spinach, banana, tumeric powder and collagen powder with milk. Add berries when in season.

12. balwoges

balwoges Well-Known Member

You are not getting enough fibre from a smoothie ... fibre is essential for your gut to work properly :eek:

13. euro73

euro73 Well-Known Member Business Member

The beautiful Hills District, Sydney Australia

Just some ice and water. The Banana takes the bitterness out

14. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

My favourite smoothie. Soy milk, home made milk kefir, natural whey protein powder, Super greens powder, frozen blueberries and banana, agave syrup, ice cubes and a heap of fresh mint leaves. The mint flavour is fantastic.

The Super Greens powder packs a lot of great stuff: Spirulina (33%), Barley Grass Leaf Powder (25%), Wheat Grass Leaf Powder (25%), Chlorella (16%).

I tried kale etc but I go for taste first. If it doesn’t taste great I won’t enjoy it and hence it won’t get digested well.

Anne11 likes this.
  15. Blacky

Blacky Well-Known Member

My mrs forces a large glass of “shrek spew” into me each morning.

Mostly I don’t really like the flavor, however the discomfort of 45seconds sculling one is far less than the 4days of grief mrs blacky gives me if I don’t drink it.

In saying that the more fruit based ones are better than the pure veg based ones.
    Being in Bali is good as we fill them up with various tropical ones.

Blacky

Nodrog likes this.