Anyone Buying Overseas?

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by Alex123711, 2nd Mar, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Alex123711

Alex123711 Well-Known Member

How many people are buying overseas? Don't see much value in Australia at the moment, where are you buying/ looking at buying and why and how hard is it to do this as an international citizen?

2. Trainee

Trainee Well-Known Member

Depends how good you at finding value. When was the last time you saw value in a australian city?

Sackie likes this.
  3. spoon

spoon Well-Known Member

The overseas markets are a totally new ballgame for those who never invested beyond Australia let alone their states or cities. Imagine you have to learn all the wisdom onPC but without something like PC. Plus not being a local or citizen your financial options are limited. If you think some of our PM are hopeless in managing your IP? Be ready for some big surprises! That’s my experience. Plus not seeing value sometimes is still better than being scammed.

4. MyPropertyPro

MyPropertyPro REBAA Buyer's Agents Sutherland Shire & Surrounds Business Member

A few people on here, myself included, have bought in the US. It's a different market and rental protections are tougher particularly from afar. You pay PMs more and you have to take currency fluctuations into account until you're cash flow positive in local currency and have savings there also.

I have friends who have bought in HK, the UK and Japan but again, it's much more difficult unless you have cash, access to local finance and are prepared to take more risk.

- Andrew

5. K974

K974 Well-Known Member

I did in ireland but the ship has sailed local prices have recovered and the euro has regained strength against the aud .

6. RyanB

RyanB Well-Known Member

anyone ever looked/bought somewhere like argentina?

Our dollar is incredibly strong there at the moment

7. Trainee

Trainee Well-Known Member

Venezuela too.

8. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

I had a look around Manly, caught the ferry from Circular Quay. Not too far from Sydney, a bit of an itenerant population base, lots of back packers. There's a bit of a price correction going on in the area so do your research.

9. Bonz

Bonz Well-Known Member

Have a look around Thailand, heaps happening up around Non Kai/Udon Thani.

10. JohnPropChat

JohnPropChat Well-Known Member

Some friends are brave enough to invest in emerging countries. Russia, China and India. CG can be ridiculously high but so are the risks.

11. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

I've invested in Asia and have done very well, specifically China and Taiwan however even at the best of times you know in the back of your mind that the gov can literally do anything and your assets can lose massive value instantly. No exaggeration .

JohnPropChat likes this.
  12. KinG3o0o

KinG3o0o Well-Known Member

literally, LoL

in thailand i like bangkok allot, price have risen allot last few years so handle with care, big economy, big population, love jakarta but its abit difficult

same as makati and manila,

Kuala lumpur and singapore ship have well and truly sailed, also these countries commercial trumps residential.

one more thing i'll add for china is their "style" of recognising you as a owner of the property, land title dont really exist they way they are here in australia. so you need to have multiple prove of ownership if there is any dispute, buy is easy sell is difficult. china is so so expensive for 60 years lease hold properties.

also this government can take back your property because communist law only exist in china,at the moment

taiwan is democratic and they wont/cant do that unless they "return" to china, this is another story for another day.

i would add another blanket rule for purchasing in asia,

most have a non foreign ownership law on land and land based property

Then there is question of freehold vs leasehold,

many asian countries have no capital gain tax so that is awesome if you flip shares or properties. but for the same reason yield is poor.

Good luck.

Sackie likes this.