Sports & Fitness Anybody into Bodybuilding, Weight Training and Fitness, Get in Here!

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Ace in the Hole, 21st Jun, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Ace in the Hole

Ace in the Hole Well-Known Member

Just did 5 x 100m repeat sprints with 60s rest between reps, 5 min break then another 5 x 100m with 60s rest.
    The most difficult workout I've done in 8 years.
    At the end of each set, It was so difficult to breath and couldn't move for a couple of minutes.
    It's hard to explain the feeling, but have only experienced this type of breathless feeling less than a handful of times in my lifetime.

I don't know how endurance athletes handle the pain.

charttv, KJB and paulF like this.
  2. Ace in the Hole

Did a somewhat type of cardio workout this afternoon for a change because I think it would be good to build some fitness into my strength routine.
    Hit the rower for the first time in about 18 months after 5 x 2min rounds on the speedball.
    Just did some 100m sprints, really easing into it:
    20.5,18.3, 17.5, 17.1 and 16.9 for a new PB - Old Man Strength...
    1 min rests between reps.
    Then did a 500 to cool down in a 1:37.1s, but it was much harder than expected and the last 150m hurt, burnt my quads, technique is probably bad as I've only ever used a rower a few times before.

chindonly, 158 and KJB like this.
  3. KJB

KJB Well-Known Member

Just going to jump in here - just started back on strong lift 5 x 5 again (went on holiday last time I was doing it and never seemed to pick it back up) been doing freeletics and a bit of running in the meantime - much prefer progressive strength/weight training.... away at work for a few more weeks so should be back to where I was last year soon.

Goal is to be on the weights below by xmas
    - 5x5 squat bodyweight
    - 5x1 deadlift 100kg
    - with bench, O/H press & barbell row all 5x5 and between 50-80% bodyweight

wish me luck :)

Mavis likes this.
  4. chindonly

chindonly Well-Known Member

Nice. Do you know about the Old Man Strength site?

5. Ace in the Hole

Good luck, post up your progress.

KJB likes this.
  6. KJB

KJB Well-Known Member

n
    no, but ill check it out, going to re read simple science fitness to, that's what got me into it last time

thanks

7. Ace in the Hole

I've seen it.
    Seems they are into BJJ, but a bit of strength stuff too.
    Might buy a shirt or singlet to represent the old lifters...

I've just resumed barbell strength training 2 weeks ago, trying to get as strong as possible in deadlift and bench press while keeping body weight low for sprinting.
    Hit 105kg for a double on bench and 170kg for 5 x 2 sets for deadlifts at 78kg, should be at a 200kg 1 rep max.
    Seems much easier to get stronger when older.
    Eating very little as I'm going for neural adaption and myofibrillar hypertrophy rather than sarcoplasmic hypertrophy, so I lift low reps with long rest quite infrequently, so far so good.

chindonly likes this.
  8. chindonly

Yeah, lucky I do BJJ as well as wts. I have a couple of their shirts. Just like the philosophy, strength - physical and mental - with age and experience.

9. Ace in the Hole

Hit 200kg deadlift for a single 1 week later which took all my effort.
    Also doubled 107.5kg on the bench press.

1 year goal is a 3xBW deadlift for 240kg at 80kg.
    It would be easy if I put on bodyweight, but really don't want to as it will really hurt my power to weight ratio for sprinting.

paulF likes this.
  10. chindonly

Are you doing any other power work, Ace? Olympic lifts, plyos etc?
    I coached a few sprinters back in the day for strength and conditioning, and always found these effective.

11. Mavis

Mavis Well-Known Member

I have been following 5x5 stronglift for a few months now and really enjoying it. Unfortunately I'm pretty much edging onto 90% and beyond of my 1RM efforts so I've started to slow down in my progress. I've also just signed up for a novice comp in a month's time so I'll be using that as my baseline - I don't think I will be attempting any PBs there as all I want is to successfully lift all 9 attempts at 80-90% and soak in the atmosphere!
    I'm loving the strength sessions at the moment! :)

My BW hovers between 52.5 - 54Kg.
    My goals by end of this year is to
    - 5x5: squat 80kg, bench 45kg
    - 5x1 deadlift 95kg

My OHP is woeful so it'll be nice to get to 5x5 for 35kg without looking like a floppy fish when i do the lifts!

KJB likes this.
  12. Ace in the Hole

Doing various forms of plyos, but nothing extreme and no bounding as it have me really bad shin splints on the last few attempts.
    No Oly lifts at this stage, but might bring some power cleans in once I get my deadlift up.
    I'm trying out some creative variations of split stance explosive lifts with both barbell and Smith machine. The Smith is good for stability for single leg stuff.

chindonly likes this.
  13. Ace in the Hole

Keep the updates coming.
    Strength training is so good for you.

Mavis likes this.
  14. KJB

KJB Well-Known Member

Nice one, I downloaded 'Starting Strength' by Mark Rippetoe and have been watching a lot of alan thrall/Medhi from stronglifts on youtube too - check them out if you haven't already. I thought my form was good for most things until I made a recording of myself (which they recommend). I think I've corrected everything apart from my squat form which is still a little off ---- still have a bit of lower back flexion -- frustrating as hell, I feel im doing everything right but its still there arrghhhh!! let us know how your camp goes :)

Mavis likes this.
  15. Mavis

Mavis Well-Known Member

Ahh i'll look them up. I know of Medhi as he wrote the stronglift 5x5 app but not of the others. thank you! i recently had a session at a powerlift gym and it turns out I wasn't breathing and bracing properly and with learning how to do it better, I managed to DL 90KG beltless at 53kg BW so I'm stoked!

I also popped my ribs recently so have been told no lifting for at least a week and the comp is in 2 weeks.. ERGH!! How's that for a forced deload week(s)? In anycase, I've decided today that I'll still compete even if I come dead last (which I probably will anyway with my weight class :D)

16. Ace in the Hole

Deadlifted 190kg x 5 for 2 sets today, still 78kg.
    Decent jump on my 180kg for 5 x 2 sets 8 days ago.
    Previous DL workout was 8 days prior to this too.
    Very happy with this progress since starting 6 weeks ago with 140kg x 3 for 3 sets.
    That’s less than 10 reps per week for DL.
    You don’t got to kill yourself with lots of volume to get strong.
    Don’t need any special diets or need to gain muscle mass. Neural adaption via myofibrillar hypertrophy is awesomeness.

Might get my goal of 1 rep max of 3 x BW in much less than 1 year as today’s effort should put me at 218kg 1RM, and 3 x BW would be 234kg, as I don’t plan to gain any weight.

KJB and chindonly like this.
  17. chindonly

Nice work Ace. Yes, you don't really have to train deads a lot to get gains. I never used to do them until just a few weeks before comps, but I mixed in a lot of olympic lifting into my standard sessions. How are you going with squats and bench?

18. Ace in the Hole

Thanks.
    Not doing any full squatting apart from warm ups for 1/4 squats, never been a good squatter and once the weight starts to get heavy, for me, I get SI joint issues.
    Been doing 1/4 squats recently with 180kg for 5 reps and slowly lowering the height progressively over time, might try and get it down to as low as a half squat.
    I’m concentrating more on weighted lunges to carry over to sprinting, as well as variations of resisted split jump squats.
    I’ve only started benching again 6 weeks ago and it’s been hard every session.
    Started at 90kg x 3 and was at 110kg for a single and 100kg x 4 one week ago.
    It’s hard for me with long levers over 200cm arm span at only 78kg. When I weighed 90kg about 6 years ago my max bench was 125kg so based on my current weight so my relative strength would be higher now.
    Still happy with the recent strength gains as I’ve managed this at 8.5% body fat and continuing to slowly lose weight as my goal is relative strength for performance.
    Not getting any younger either, will be 42 next week, planning on hitting my absolute potential peak at 45.

KJB likes this.
  19. Foxdan

Foxdan Well-Known Member

We just don't do it at that intensity

20. Mavis

Mavis Well-Known Member

So my comp has come and gone.
    I weighed in at 52.4kg the morning
    Back squat was 65/72.5/77.5
    Paused Bench was 35/42.5/47.5 (47.5 was my PB)
    Deadlift 85/92.5/100 (100 was my PB)

I went into this comp with what we suspect an intercostal muscle strain around the ribs/back so I was really cautious with my back squats. So stoked.. can't wait to get onto another comp!

It's now a quiet week for me.. before I start light next week for the next cycle :)

KJB, Kat, chindonly and 2 others like this.