Education & Work Any uber drivers out there?

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by bob shovel, 15th Nov, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

Alright... next idea to make some cashola!

Any drivers out there? How is it? Seems straight forward. Anything to look out for.

What do they expect from drivers, what cars are suitable? I heard they take a large %cut - 30%??

Where I am there are no taxis so straight up business sounds great! There are few b&b's around and the city folk come up for weekends away, which they'll likely need/want a taxi after a few drinks. The locals also want a taxi service in town so could be onto a winner!

My hours of operation would be varied and not consistent but I was thinking I could let the restaurant in town know I'm around and to call me then I flick on the uber signal to ferry the damsels in distress back to their chalet

2. Biz

Biz Well-Known Member

Hasn't your wife got enough to do already? :p

Terry_w, HUGH72, Bran and 2 others like this.
  3. bob shovel

I'm a hard task master!

4. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

I am not one but I have used them quite a lot - though not as much as @sanj
    I say go for it. The problem might be that you have to have a car that is only a few years old - not that I have any idea what you drive!

Doing picks up from the local pub/restaurant etc is a great idea.

bob shovel likes this.
  5. bob shovel

I'll have to teach my wife to drive manual but she'll work it out! ;) 2005 Landcruiser, I won't take the kids seats out so they'll be riding up front on the bench seat! It will be romantic to day the least

Speaking of task mastering @Biz we were setup at 7 at the local markets selling my wife's jewellery, then after that I dropped her at work! ... Dennis Leary summed it up best!

EN710, inertia and Biz like this.
  6. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Didn't he have a hit with "I'm an @rtshole"?

7. bob shovel

What a terrible name for a song! :p

8. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

I better not let the kids see that one :)

9. Phantom

Phantom Well-Known Member

I drive really slow in the ultra fast lane,
    while the people behind me are going insane...

inertia likes this.
  10. Kesse

Kesse Well-Known Member

You're an arse hole! :p :D

Phantom likes this.
  11. sanj

sanj Well-Known Member Premium Member

I know a couple of uber drivers personally and have 2 mates who work for uber, one in perth and one in asia at a pretty high level. Ive hears predominantly positive things about it. Ive also taken well over 200 uber rides and am a big fan. Just give it a go, it's a pretty low cost entry to have a go, if yoi dont end up liking it then you arent bpund by anything. The flexible hours are a big drawcard for parents

12. sanj

I think your car will be too old, if im not wrong it has to be no more than either 5 or 7 years old for uber x

13. inertia

inertia Well-Known Member

What is the legality of being an Uber driver in Aus? I thought I read in ACT they were starting to embrace it, but in other states they were essentially illegal...

Cheers,
    Inertia.

14. neK

neK Well-Known Member

@sanj What's uber like in Hong Kong? Is it reliable and non dodgy. Also are they available at HK airport?

15. sanj

No idea about hk airport.

Ive used it in new york, kl, penang and 3 cities in australia and havent found it to be dodgy so im sure youll be fine.

The train is the easiest way into town from hk airport though

16. sanj

Still a grey area. In WA our premier has indicated he supports uber though but it still hasnt been fully legalised like in ACT

17. Ed Barton

Ed Barton Well-Known Member

Car must be 2006 or later model. Driver must be 21+. Car has to pass safety inspections etc. Ridesharing with Uber: a safe, reliable and affordable transport option | Sydney

Sanj, as an 'uber' Uber user can you answer a few questions from a user POV (their website doesn't seem too helpful)?...

• I requested an estimate on a trip. It's $28, vs ~$40-60 in a cab, depending on trafic and time of day. Is that a fixed rate, or is it like a cab where it's a mix of time and distance to arrive at the fare?
    • How long do they take to turn up? Quicker, or slower than a cab?
    • Does the quote vary depending on supply/demand/ time of the day etc?
    • Can I request a specific car/driver - they seem big on online feedback?
    • Can I request a luxury/'maxi taxi'?
    • I know their preferred method of payment is online/CC, but will they take cash?
    • Some cabbies negotiate a fixed price, off meter deal with regulars. They don't pay tax, fuel, or the cut to the cab company and the passenger pays less. Yes, dodgy - but is there potential for Uber drivers to do the same? I.E calls for pick up rather than through the app.
    Ta in advance.

bob shovel likes this.
  18. Ed Barton

All from the Courier Fail, so take it with a pinch of rubber...
    Uber is illegal in QLD and the govt has been handing out fines, but held back a bit lately - the govt seems to be whipping Uber with a wet lettuce leaf - Uber have paid all the drivers fines. Uber maintains that it is not illegal as it hasn't been tested in court (although their willingness to pay fines indicates they know it's illegal). There is an investigation/report/royal enquiry/whatever underway into whether Uber should become legal.

Govts will be reluctant to forgo their juicy taxi licencing fees..

19. sanj

1) mix if time and distance
    2) depends on location, time and day. When you open the app up you will be able to see the locations of cars in the area etc and an estimate of time to pick u up. Once booked a specific car will be assigned to you and tou can then follow it on gps to your destination. Youre given the type of car; drivers name, photo and phone numver in case u need to call. Also it will send a msg to u when driver is about to pull up
    3) price per km/minute is fixed based on rype of uber but there is surge pricing during peak periods. You are warned twice during surge procing and have to type in the level of pricing in order to accept it. It can be a ludicrous 4x surge but at desperate times eg NYE im glad the option exists as ive used it.
    4)luxury yes, vua uber black or uber lux in some cities. Maxi taxis are more common in asia not in australia
    5)no cash
    6) no option to select driver
    7) calling i suppose could be done as a side deal but driver would be booted if caught and ultimately saving will be small. Eg they only pay uber i think 20% so a win win would be 10% saving each. Hardly worth the risk to them but im sure therw are a minority who would consider it

20. Ed Barton

Thanks Sanj.

So basically the same as a cab. So the 'estimate' is just that, not a fixed price?

So basically the same as a cab. You continue to use Uber, so you must find them timely.

Capitalism at it's best! You want, you pay! The market will supply! The traditional taxi system has x number of cabs regardless of demand. The Uber system will have some very casual drivers providing their cars at ultra peak periods - the cab system simply can't do that.

Ok. I know someone who is a cabbie and says maxi's are in high demand on Friday and Saturday nights when party groups want transporting. Rest of the week useless.

Not a big deal now that you don't have to pass credit checks to get a credit card - eg no credit master/visa cards.

I would have thought that was central to feedback system.

Probably a similar risk to cabbies. Uber says they GPS track, but I'm sure cabs do too. I guess as an Uber you can always say you were driving gran to the airport, harder to do as a cabbie. As an ubber you're only denying the company of their cuts - as a cabbie you're denying the cab company their cut and fuel etc.