Sports & Fitness Any surfers out there?

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by robbie_p, 31st Dec, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. robbie_p

robbie_p Well-Known Member

Hi All,

In my early teens I surfed for a year or so, was never really that good.. 20 years later Im looking to give it another go and still consider myself a begginer.

I’m not looking at getting too serious about it, perhaps just taking a board along every time we go for a day out to the beach or go camping.

I’m 75kg and 179cm in height. Any suggestions for a board size / type which would suit my needs? I’m looking for something preowned, under $200.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,
    Robbie

2. Jamie Moore

Jamie Moore MORTGAGE BROKER - AUSTRALIA WIDE Business Member

Yep :)

Where do you surf?

Start off with a long board - get the fundamentals sorted and then you can start trying out smaller/different boards.

Don’t pay too much for boards either - suss out gumtree/Facebook market place for second hand.

Otherwise - surfboard warehouse always has decent deals.

Cheers

Jamie

3. robbie_p

I grew up in Cape Town and surfed there as a teenager for a few years.

I'm currently in Brisbane, so not far from Sunshine and the Gold Coast.

Where do you surf and hows your surfing coming along? I think i read an old post of yours that you were also starting out?

4. Jamie Moore

I surf up in Noosa - it’s very addictive :)

I feel like I’m getting better each session. I catch a lot more waves then I wipe out on now :) The spot I go to is ideal for long boards - which are also the easiest to learn/begin on. I grabbed my board the from surfboard warehouse - it’s a swell bandit.

I’ve also got a smaller fish - but the conditions are usually best for the longer board.

Might be best to hire a long board/mal whenever you head to the beach next. Try out a few options before committing to one.

Or just find a cheap one on gumtree - there’s usually plenty for sale in Brisbane.

I’m in Canberra at the moment.....counting down the days until I’m back in qld :)

Cheers

Jamie

5. robbie_p

We actually planning weekend in noosa in the next 6 weeks. Any recommendations for good surf spots in noosa for a beginner?

How much time do you get to spend in QLD?

6. WestOz

WestOz Well-Known Member

I'd get a soft plank for now, lighter to handle, can take a bit more punishment in & out of the waves (for both of you, incl your head) while learning. If it becomes a passion rather than a dust collector in the shed, upgrade.

8 Footer would be good, however as your light you (& kids if any, cause there gunna wanna go) could get away with a 7 footer.

New & Second hand markets are a bit tight atm, people either using them over break, retailers light on stock due to xmas presents etc.

Options;
    For New -
    Rebel 7' $120 - Tahwalhi 7’ Surfboard - rebel

Sideways (down on the GC) -
    7' $180 - http://www.sideways.com.au/maddog-malibu-soft-surfboard-blue-70/
    8' $200 - Maddog 'Malibu' Soft surfboard - Blue 8ft

Surfboard Warehouse had a sale on ($100 off) but only have 6 footers left on their website - Buy Soft Surfboards Online | The Surfboard Warehouse
    Maybe give them a call and see if they have bigger in one of their stores, maybe haven't updated their site yet.

2nd Hand -
    7'2" - 7'2 sunset foam surfboard | Surfing | Gumtree Australia Caboolture Area - Narangba | 1169250879
    9' - Surfboard, 9' Softboard | Surfing | Gumtree Australia Brisbane South West - West End | 1167471596

7. TAJ

TAJ Well-Known Member

I try and surf most days (conditions permitting). I have several boards ranging from 8ft (Bennett custom Mal to short board, Perry surfboards 6ft 3in thruster).
    I would suggest if starting out to try a soft top Mal of around 8ft. This way if you come off, which will be a regular occurrence when starting out, you are less likely to injure yourself, others, and will prevent dinging boards of other surfers.
    Noosa point is a long board break. Very accommodating for beginners. There are numerous breaks within the National Park, but some are more challenging than others. Stick to sand breaks while learning and leave the reefs to more accomplished riders.
    The best tip I can give you is : Never underestimate the Ocean!

8. robbie_p

Looking to buy this 7'4'' mal.

Thoughts?

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      73.4 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      71.2 KB
      Views:
    • 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      File size:
      63.9 KB
      Views:
    • 4.jpg
      4.jpg
      File size:
      55.9 KB
      Views:
  9. Ben_j

Ben_j Well-Known Member

I’d agree with the others, 7”4 - 8ft for an initial board then go down from there. Key would be not spending too much initially if it does end up being a dust collector!

10. robbie_p

I'm going to look at 2 boards today, a 7'4 and 7'8 mal, $75 each.

Cant really go wrong?

11. WestOz

WestOz Well-Known Member

Initial thoughts when seeing the pic, heavy fiberglass, if it hits someone (me & my kid) or their (my) board because you really don't know what your doing out here yet, when foamies are available for that reason, it could get ugly. But that's your call to deal with.

An old Sojo, well made boards from the Central Coast, possibly custom made for original purchaser, height, weight, experience etc. With the Incredibles on it (animated kids movie, odd choice) likely made around 2005.

From the pic it looks a little narrow, but in good nick, no patches from what I can see, check for cracks/fatigue especially around fins, give it the tap-tap sound test.

12. Beelzebub

Beelzebub Well-Known Member

I was once a surf instructor. My tips for starting out:

1. Hire a 9ft G-board for the first couple of times.
    2. Find a good place to learn, light onshore winds with crumbly waves are the best to learn to stand up.
    3. Once you have mastered this hunt around for an 8ft fibreglass minimal (not a performance one, something with volume. NSP make some good beginner mini mals)
    4. Now you're looking for small, clean, offshore conditions: protected point breaks etc. Avoid the crowds (may not be possible up north)

13. John_S

John_S Mortgage Broker

Agree with the above. If you're not going to the beach with surfing as a primary focus then a foamie would serve well. Unless you are getting out there multiple times a week it will take a good while to outgrow the board. Also a lot safer than a glassed/epoxy board.

14. Jamie Moore

All great tips!

It's best to start of with a bigger board rather than getting frustrated on a smaller one.

I'd aim for 9+ foot when beginning - and if it's a busy break then go with a foamie.

Cheers

Jamie

15. vbplease

vbplease Well-Known Member

I'll buck the trend and recommend staying away from a mal.. they're a nuisance to control. Too much energy wasted trying to paddle out. Master the duckdive early and you'll spend more time catching waves.

I'm pretty sure the board I learnt on (when I was 12) was no longer than 5'11. Heaps of volume under the chest so you have paddle power and never miss a wave. The volume and width is key for stability and paddle power, but the length is just a nuisance.

The board I currently ride is only 5'10 (I'm 180cm and 70kg). Can't remember the width, but the thickness is something like 2+5/8, squash tail and reverse v bottom. Turns on a 50c piece if required :cool:, but I'd happily lend it to a beginner who would do well learning on it because it is so stable.

WattleIdo and Jimmy D like this.
  16. Beelzebub

Beelzebub Well-Known Member

The key is that you learn't when you were 12. As someone with experience with teaching people to surf I can guarantee that a short board, even a high volume fish, will not go well. He needs to hire a 9ft G-board for the first 4-5 times and then buy an 8ft fibreglass mini mal.

17. robbie_p

Thanks for all the tips! I ended up buy 2 x mals in really good condition and a bag (for the bigger board) for $100 for everything! At that price i couldnt go wrong! They were 7'4 and 7'8.

Also, thanks for all your concerns about safety. Keep in mind that i surfed for about 2 years (almost everyday) when i was a teenager, so i have some idea when it comes to safety, etiquette etc.

vbplease likes this.
  18. Jamie Moore

Damn that's cheap!

You could make your money back in two hours hiring them out at First Point in Noosa.

Cheers

Jamie

19. vbplease

vbplease Well-Known Member

oh no, you went with long boards.. they look like a 57 Chevy I used to have.

Hope you stick with it. Surfing's the source man. Change your life. Swear to god. :)

John_S and Jamie Moore like this.
  20. 92dyl

92dyl Member

Try the surfboard warehouse (.com.au). Bought a 6ft fish and they posted it to me no problems on the central coast. Its now probably my favourite board

Might be a bit more expensive then 200 but sometimes they have good sales, quick skim wont hurt haha ;)