any suggestions on bathroom layout

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by Mat82, 17th Oct, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Mat82

Mat82 New Member

Hi my name is Mat
    We have just started to renovate our investment property, but we are struggling to figure out what to do with the bathroom, it is a fairly small area and it is a jack and jill type setup, and the toilet is separate with no vanity, the image I have drawn is how it is currently set up, we have thought about closing the door off from the main bedroom and taking the wall out of the middle of the bathroom to make it bigger, but then the people in the main bedroom have to walk around the house to get to the bathroom, other option was to remove the middle wall in the bathroom and keep both entrys from either end, but then you have the issue of remembering to lock both doors and unlock both doors at the end, which would be annoying. So we are unsure what to do, does anyone have any suggestions on what would work best, or is the current layout the best way to go with it? Thanks. ps this is only part of the house. If you want to know anything else then let me know upload_2018-10-17_20-13-24.png

2. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Do you have to walk past a vanity to get to your bedroom? Is there another bathroom in the house? How big is your bedroom? Looks to be about 3m x 3m. That seems small. Is the plan to scale?

First thought is make two bathrooms but you lose the WIR. Our family bathroom is 3m x 2.1m and we fit bath, shower, loo and basin and it doesn't feel cramped. You have that size plus the other side of the "corridor". If you remove the linen, or make it shallower, you could have two bathrooms.

3. wylie

Just re-read and this is a rental. What about ditching the WIR and toilet, make that a hallway with storage on the bump out part. Then you have a large family bathroom.

Do you need to do anything at all if this is a rental?

4. Mat82

Mat82 New Member

Hi Wylie

Thanks for your reply
    Here is the layout of the whole house, there is a door at the entry for the main bedroom, so you only walk past the vanity if your coming from the other side of the house, only one bathroom, bedroom is 3.4x3.5 (my picture is definitely not to scale). The house needs to be freshened up, it has had the same tenant for 12yrs and we are getting $60/week below what we can get because it needs work, the bathroom is leaking, and has different colour tiles from a previous attempt at fixing it ( I am a wall and floor tiler by trade so not a big problem) We could leave the layout how it is if that is the best option, but we are wanting to 1. get the rent it is worth and 2. create more equity in the house so that we can buy another house at some stage.
    Our other option was to turn the laundry into a second bathroom, turn the current bathroom into an ensuite with toilet and have a small laundry area where the current toilet is( pretty well a cupboard with sliding doors) if that make sense. But we do want to minimise costs aswell, so trying to work with the current layout.
    upload_2018-10-18_7-6-14.png

5. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

When you redo the bathroom, I would like to leave a section where the current bath is to be a built-in wardrobe for main Bedroom. Turn the current WIR into an ensuite. Put a toilet into the main bathroom and turn the current toilet room into a full-sized linen closet.

Leave space in the laundry for a second fridge or freezer and shelving. (Think butler pantry) We have $150 worth of free-standing Ikea chrome shelves, none of this modern expense, and a spare fridge in my laundry. It adds a world of storage.

Can you remove any of the wall between the living room and the long hallway, and open the kitchen up a bit as the kitchen functions will spill over into the laundry.

(I'm dreaming about spending your money)

wylie likes this.
  6. wylie

I also would remove the entry hallway. This just sucks up space. It hides the bedroom door, but everything is a compromise when you are working with existing layouts.

Is the kitchen open to the dining of is that a wall. If it is a wall, I'd open it up. and I like the ideas from @Angel.

That laundry is huge and you could make one end of the other a powder room (if you need or want one). You could put laundry behind doors along one side and have a powder room at the end. That means visitors walk past laundry behind doors, and also means you don't have a toilet opening onto a living area.

7. Mat82

Mat82 New Member

Thankyou Angel and Wylie, definitely some good ideas, Yes we plan on removing the wall in the entry to open it up. The kitchen is open to the dining area, there is a wall on the kitchen that meets with the lounge room which we plan on removing to open it up.

We will have to work out a rough costing of your suggestions and see if they are feasible.

Thanks again for your input :)

8. Brady

Brady Well-Known Member

WIR > Ensuite keeping existing toilet there just remove the wall.

Put new toilet where current linen is and add vanity into main bathroom.

Put linen in with Laundry it's big enough.

Perthguy and Angel like this.
  9. Zimplestiltskin

Zimplestiltskin Well-Known Member

Are you sure those measurements are right?

The bathroom is 2.8 wide and the WIR is 1.9 wide. If they lineup then the WIR and hallway can only be 0.9m together... I think you're missing a metre somewhere.

10. Zimplestiltskin

Zimplestiltskin Well-Known Member

I'd use that hallway for a new WIR and ensuite for master with the nice window outside. Extend shower out to flush with vanity.

I'd make the internal WC and existing WIR into the main bathroom, knock out the wall between WC and WIR. Big space to do what you want.

plan123.png

Perthguy likes this.
  11. craigc

craigc Well-Known Member

The passage between master & bed 1 appears wasted space. Iā€™d suggest leave WiR & current wc in place, use passage and existing bathroom to split into en-suite (where bath currently is & add wc), remove bath for en-suite & add oversized shower. Main bath still with no wc (leave in current for guests & in case someone is using main bathroom) & add shower/bath if required.
    Also open up entry hallway.
    Should work the floor plan effectively without massive (expensive) floor plan changes.
    Laundry would turn into butlers pantry with laundry at far end & maybe outside door if there is one. Effectively a walk-through butlers pantry with laundry behind.
    Good luck!