WA Any new suburb in Perth for a young family?

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by Prisun, 4th Jun, 2022.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Prisun

Prisun Member

I’ve been perusing these threads but it seems I have not quite arrived at what I’m looking for.

I currently live in Sydney but looking to buy in Perth for PPOR as prices here are ridiculous. I’m about to start a family and really looking to get an easy start, pay off my mortgage early and hopefully do other things with my money. Things that matter to me:

1) preferably a new estate/suburb where there are possible future planned development. I know population is a factor but I have seen some new areas transform massively here in Sydney in the last 10 years so I’m willing to go to a place where there will be construction around in the next 7 years.

2) Budget of up to 500k

3) Area with titled or untitled land where I can personally build what I want although I have read cost of new build have gone up a lot in WA

I’m open to any PPOR suggestions too. I’m baby to all this. Thanks

2. Karlos1234

Karlos1234 Well-Known Member

Check Treeby, Forrestfield, Brabham, Aveley, Landsdale, Success, Beeliar

Make sure the land is in a private estate and no lot allocated to public housing in the neighbourhood.

The builders are struggling these days so be careful.

Prisun likes this.
  3. Prisun

Prisun Member

Much appreciated. I had Brabham and Treeby on my list but will definitely add those as well. Are contractors usually open about who the land have been allocated to?

I certainly wasn’t thinking about the private estate part but it seems like an option that will partially guarantee the laid back/safe neighbourhood lifestyle that I’m after for my family.

4. Prisun

Prisun Member

If anyone else has more options, currently building or plan to build in a new suburb/estate, pls drop a comment. It would be helpful to hear people’s experience.

5. gach2

gach2 Well-Known Member

Why new estate?

Perth has new estates but also a lot of smaller scale land subdivision developments unlike in Sydney. If your looking for established infrastructure

Prisun and thatbum like this.
  6. thatbum

thatbum Well-Known Member

If I was looking for a family home and area with a budget of $500k, it wouldn't be in any of the new estates. Why does it have to be a new estate?

7. Prisun

Prisun Member

Although I might be totally be wrong but the new estates seem to offer more value for money in terms of buying a land then building on it. I guess this could be due to developing infrastructure.

Another advantage from what I’ve read is most of the new estates are relatively safe plus usually full of young families which might be ideal for what I’m looking for.

I’m open to more suggestions tbh, other areas with great community, houses built in the last 8 years within 500k budget etc.

8. Prisun

Prisun Member

tbh I’m open to more suggestions. My first impression is that newer estate are cheaper and safer. I also think neighbours are likely to be young families too.

what areas would you consider and what kind of house would you go for? Thanks

9. thatbum

thatbum Well-Known Member

Where are you getting that impression from? It hasn't really been what I've seen. Personally I think the more established areas have a more settled demographic and character and you can rely on.

There's been plenty of examples in Perth of new development areas turning into a bit of a colloquial ghetto after not very long at all (probably partly because it was the cheap).

I'd do my research into Perth first - possibly even rent over here a bit and get a feel for the a different areas.

38215, samiam and boeman like this.
  10. Propin

Propin Well-Known Member

Do you have a minimum block size? It’s a pretty small budget for a new home - I think you wouldn’t get bigger then a 300sqm block. Hocking, Pearsall, Madeley and Darch are worth a look, but you get more house and land the higher your budget is and as block sizes are getting smaller the bigger blocks have still modernish but older houses. You would be 10-15 min drive to the new Ocean Reef Marina

I’m not sure if this is the sort of property you are after?

https://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-wa-pearsall-139311763

Example comparison of what a higher budget will give you

https://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-wa-pearsall-139116267

11. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

It's not a great budget for land + construction. Any reason why your budget is massively under what anything costs in Sydney?

If I was looking at estates with good schooling then I'd probably look at Harrisdale/Southern River and pick up something already built but you would be getting a first home buyer type product which is pretty basic like https://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-wa-harrisdale-136882318 or https://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-wa-harrisdale-139169911

VICPER and Shogun like this.
  12. Propin

Propin Well-Known Member

Oops, my first link I posted the wrong property link. For budget under $500,000 - 300sqm block
    https://m.realestate.com.au/property-house-wa-pearsall-139274443

Shogun likes this.
  13. gach2

gach2 Well-Known Member

You can buy small lot land in established areas too in Perth

As mentioned planning and development in WA is very different to NSW. So there are a lot more small scale land divisions in existing suburbs

I cant talk about all estates - but just because its all new houses and young families it doesn't = safe. Lot of them sold to investors at mass rates who then rent to whoever is willing to pay the rent they were quoted by the marketing sales team at purchase. Sometimes end being low quality tenants (yes low quality tenants can have kids making them young families). In saying that since Perth has a rental shortage this issue may not be as major.

I think the estates around Cockburn have some infrastructure within 5 kms of it and easy commute to city/beaches.

Low level development might include Cannington region - Has good infrastructure, Notsure about schools but popular within the subcontinent community who put schools as a priority

But at 500k your going to be getting closer to Campbelltown/Macarthur estate V Hills area estate if comparing to Sydney

14. Prisun

Prisun Member

Thanks everyone, I will check out the options you guys have suggested. The Perth idea started dominating other ones when I stumbled on house prices in Armadale, but with a tiny research, I have realised it’s definitely not the area I want to be.

Probably not the best approach, but I hate the idea of having to pay a huge monthly mortgage so I’m thinking of buying a 500k house with a 120k deposit then probably pay it off in the next 6 years or reduce my mortgage to a level where the remaining bit is negligible. At that point, my wife and I will probably start looking into IPs, however we want a baseline of a fully paid or almost paid off house.

Having said that, I’ve been insisting on a new/semi-new estate because I would like a neighbourhood that still looks good in 10-12 years and not mostly full of run-down houses. We are all hoping for the best but who knows what the economy will be like in the future too.

15. Trainee

Trainee Well-Known Member

Though, what would that Sydney house with the huge mortgage sell for in 20 years? People who stretched to buy in Sydney 10 years ago, and paid the big mortgage (for back then), have seen prices triple. Just another way of looking at it. I think Perth will have good growth too (though new estates......), but if your family etc are in Sydney, that's a big decision. Understand the 'I just want an affordable ppor and not stretch myself thing', but if you want to live in the biggest and most expensive city, you'll need to make sacrifices.

You do it, you probably can't afford to come back.

otoh 500k isn't much of a budget for Sydney, and if that's what your income supports, a cheaper city makes sense.

Last edited: 5th Jun, 2022
    38215 likes this.
  16. Spring_sun

Spring_sun Active Member

I’m new to Perth market as well, but had exactly the same thoughts and plans in the end of last year.

Our family realised that we can’t afford to live in Sydney areas where we want to live, so started to look at alternatives.
    It was either move to the south west/west of Sydney, close to my husband’s family
    OR
    Move to Perth and have a lifestyle PPOR

I don’t like my partner’s family THAT much :rolleyes: so now we are heading west!

Our initial budget was around 600-700k as we had the same ideas: didn’t want to stretch ourselves, just pay off the mortgage quick(er than 30 years ) and live a careless life.

Well, after some research on school catchments (I’m a firm believer in government schools, so might not be applicable for you :oops:) we realised that we need to increase our budget to get into a good catchment area. In the end, we had to double our initial range to get what we wanted, where we wanted. Yep, “even” in Perth.

$500k is not much, I would definitely increase it if you can. As people above recommended, look for established areas and then check the police reports for the suburbs. Less crime = better neighbours.
    Also check websites like Microburbs to see the SOV of families with young kids, that way you have a better chance to pick the suburb that aligns with demo you want to have around.

38215, Citycat88, Propin and 2 others like this.
  17. Bwinny

Bwinny Well-Known Member

All good feedback and interested in what suburb you ended up in for double the budget on your initial plan?

18. Spring_sun

Spring_sun Active Member

Sorrento. But there are cheaper options (Duncraig, Padbury) for the same high school
    Initially looked at areas like Heathridge and Ocean Reef, if that’s of interest

Bwinny likes this.
  19. Karlos1234

Karlos1234 Well-Known Member

The Land Developer can answer this question and other questions about their lots when you go to their sales office

20. Sam123456

Sam123456 Well-Known Member

You are quite right that if you don't have strong family or jobs reasons to stay in Sydney, then you can get a better lifestyle per $ elsewhere.

My younger self rushed into a market I hadn't lived in. I could have avoided a lot of hassle and had fewer moves and stresses at that time, if I'd taken my time and paid a little more.

I would agree with other posters who said that in Perth the established suburbs will probably retain their character, whereas a newer suburb is more of a risk for the simple fact that there will be more renters and more young families who upgrade homes within 10 years. This means there are more people moving in and out, leading to a greater chance that the character of the suburb will change (this may be for better or for worse). So, even though a bit bigger mortgage is a risk, so too is a new cheap development that may put your capital at risk.

An extra 150k would probably AVERAGE out at no more than 7.5k extra interest per year. This is real money but moving, stamp duty, agents fees will also be a lot, if the place turns into something you don't like. Secondly, established suburbs have more chance of being in a good public school's catchment.

It is always frustrating to have one's plans dashed by others but I thought I'd put my 2c in, just in case I help you avoid my younger self's mistake.