Any logistics experts here, reducing duty/customs/gst etc

Discussion in 'Starting & Running a Business' started by TMNT, 14th Apr, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

ok, so ive been getting my relatives to send me some stuff from overseas,

if it comes in under $1000 the gst and duty payable is at a fine level, im happy to pay it

once it goes over $1000, the gst, duty, excise, processing fees, 10 folds! yes 10 fold!!

im trying to legally get more in without paying the high duty rates, without breaking the law or appear n the FBIs most wanted.

so far ive come up with these possibilities
    - get relatives/freinds to bring it over on the plane when they come, this works fine, however no one likes me, so this is going to work once per year
    - I could fly over there and bring it back under the $1000 limit , and the savings might pay for most of my flights which is better then nothing, but I dont need to go there for any reason
    - buy a container and bring in a lot more, which will reduce shipping but I still have to pay high taxes
    - a friend suggested I ship to his country and then to here, and insist it works, however I think he might be wrong as taxes are calculated upon goods entering the country
    - put it on a private jet and them to bring it in.........I dont know anyone with a private jet!

any genious' out there?

2. teetotal

teetotal Well-Known Member

What is the stuff you trying to bring in and from which country?

3. Cbrgirl

Cbrgirl Well-Known Member

How many friends do you have? Get every order under $1000 shipped to some of your friends here in Oz?

Or maybe get it shipped to a closer country - somewhere that is cheaper for you to fly to and collect it, thus saving yourself on airfares? Would the airfare for you to fly and get it be cheaper than the shipping cost?

Consider a cheaper courier company and try to save on your shipping costs?

Last edited: 14th Apr, 2016
  4. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

^^
    the product is similar to ancient perfumes,

I do have a few friends however, when items go through aust post customs, if they see $1000 x 5 all from the same sender, they probably will pick up on it eventually, and then it looks dodgy, the only thing I could think of is to send it to friends in different states and then it might not get picked up,

getting it shipped to a closer country is fine however even if I picked them up, I am also subject to the $1000 limit, so I cant simply put $5000 worth in my luggage and stroll through

5. Cbrgirl

Cbrgirl Well-Known Member

I PM'd you...

6. DaveM

DaveM Well-Known Member

@Ace in the Hole imports gym equipment, I am sure he would know a thing or two