Any chance of fixing the pool filter tank?

Discussion in 'Repairs & Maintenance' started by James H, 16th Apr, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. James H

James H Well-Known Member

Hi, the pool filter tank is spitting out water (see photo) when it functions.

I just wonder if there is any way to ‘fix’ the leak before going to final resort to replace it (the pool shop quoted me 800 for a replacement). Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. TheRayTracer

TheRayTracer Well-Known Member

As a short term fix, dry it off and apply a thick bead of (outdoor) silicon to the crack. It's worth a try.

James H likes this.
  3. hammer

hammer Well-Known Member

Have you tried online? Or even secondhand ? Pool shops are notoriously expensive.

4. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

A bit of plumber's tape might hold on the thread but if the collar has split, it's a different story.

James H likes this.
  5. Cadbury99

Cadbury99 Well-Known Member

Not sure how old that Poolrite filter is but poolrite offer a ten year warranty on the tank. Might be worth contacting them.

For a new one - Poolrite S6000 MK2 25" (Media) Sand Filter

Don’t forget the cost of the filter sand.

6. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

The ring and collar are old and probably the "head" too and likely need to be replaced as a start and finding some older ones can be problematic. The filter sand probably older than the recommended 8-10 years too. A full replacement may be $600 + install. $800 seems about right. Unless the filter bowl is split no warranty - Its often still OK but you add new sand and a new filter head it then goes. Easier to replace it all at once

I recently had same issue with mine and the filter head had worn with tiny leaks to waste even when closed. Replacing that + sand its same cost as a whole kit. Amazing how well it cleans now.

I used pool and spa warehouse who can discuss various price points if you want budget, good or gold plated options

James H likes this.