Anticipating the China problem

Discussion in 'Politics' started by timetoact, 4th Dec, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. sash

sash Well-Known Member

Are you really surprised....by Scomo..Dutton..Marise...Lind Reynolds...all sleep at the wheel.

The sooner this mob is voted out the better.

The Chinese have their own problems.....but we stuffed up big time!!

I would not worry about the Chinese military capabilites yet...they are similar to Russia...but if they are not contained now...they will be a future problem.

Time to spend the money on hypersonic missiles and drones capable of taking out ships...and aircraft from 10000 klms away. That will be the biggest deterrent.

2. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

Well to be fair, we probably couldn't match their level of bribery.

It is what it is now. We have to pivot our defence strategy to a new normal. And the world needs to stop their addiction to cheap Chinese goods.

Of course, very much a cut off of our nose to spite their face scenario, with many detrimental economic consequences.

Even with China's questionable military intellect aka Russia vs Ukraine, their sheer would result in Oz rolling over in a matter of weeks.

It's not a good spend of cash or our GDP, but the game has changed and we now need to invest billions into Defence for our own existence.

New Town likes this.
  3. sash

sash Well-Known Member

Nope...world turning on China....have a look at Pakistan....Sri Lanka...some African countries....they bribe the despots...but people are not happy.

The largest Island and ethnics group in Solomons does not like the PM and there is a view they are selling out. CIA will engineer enough trouble...to get him out...if Manaseh Songavare (PM) does not come to the US/AU/NZ way of thinking.

Anchor and Barcelona like this.
  4. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

If they are able to eject him, what would that mean for the Security Agreement with China? Isn't that now written in stone? Can they just reverse it after China sets up shop and say, clear out in 30 days...or else?

And re: turning on China, not sure about other nations but last time I checked, we're still exporting raw materials to them like crazy.

5. sash

sash Well-Known Member

What will they do send in troops...and fight...them. Just look at what happened Bouganville....Chinese would get slaughtered. Locals already don't like them

This is good...because the rest of Pacific will probably unite to keep the Chinese out. No offence.. I do not like the neither the Chinese/Russia leadership...they are the new axis of evil similar to Japan/Germany in WW2. I feel sorry for the people are they are being silenced and treated badly. Already 80 of the 100 largest cities in China have some sort of Covid lockdown. This zero covid policy is nuts..just so Xi Jiping can save face.

I believe the free allies and like minded countries are engineering for a financial war on China. One to watch is how the Fed hikes will further demolish the Chinese economy. This is what they really afraid.

The Americans are masters of the game... they are now waging a financial war with not only Russia but also China. Both are very vulnerable on this front.

6. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

Whatever the remedy is, hope you're right and that's how it'll play out.

Australia (and NZ) were always sheltered via distance from belligerent countries and its unsettling this is no longer the case.

7. sash

sash Well-Known Member

Watch it .... I saw it happen in Sri Lanka... look what happened there...look at Pakistan.

Chinese are not well liked as they do nothing for the locals only the dictators in power. They never go into countries where the govt is elected and well like by the people....

8. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

When the immediate is your people are starving, your country is affected by rising oceans, when the quality of life is going backwards and you are offered and economic lifeline (and some serious backhanded government bribery) I suspect a could/maybe/possible/unlikely future enters into the equation

9. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

So not surprised - and cannot believe they're trying to spin it as "we didn't know" ... sheesh ... even a dumbarsed lay person, like myself, knew this was on way back in January

However, I don't believe a "my missile is bigger than your missile" solution is the best way forward either ... and the Chinese base isn't carved in stone until it's actually built and functional. A lot can happen in the meantime

10. sash

sash Well-Known Member

It is ....just look at lessons learned from Ukraine.

Don't for one minute think that playing nice will work with the Chinese....the only thing which will work is a country which can offer fierce resistance including striking targets in Beijing...Shanghai etc.

We have time...as the Chinese military is just as corrupt as the Russian one...they don't have the capability to take even Taiwan. The US special forces, NATO and CIA have been training Taiwanese troops just like they did with Ukraine. Short of nuclear weapons ..it will be very hard to take the Island.

Having said that the Ukrainians have a track record as fierce and brave fighters. But Taiwan has the tech and have build bunkers on the island.

New Town likes this.
  11. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

Australia is in danger then. Yes, elected, but ...

12. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

This is the key. Not many nations have the heart.

I wonder how we would fare if we were invaded....whether we'd all take up arms - doctors, teachers, IT workers etc to defend the homeland.

13. sash

sash Well-Known Member

They might get shot out of the sky and sea before they got here.....then out croc/shark friends would take care of the rest.

They would have to have brilliant logistics to make it work. ...which they don't because like Russia ..it might not work....

14. New Town

New Town Well-Known Member

Solomon Islands must have checked out south china sea on google maps and thought we want some of that infrastructure

15. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

16. paulF

paulF Well-Known Member

Lizzie likes this.
  17. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

18. Traveller99

Traveller99 Well-Known Member

I wonder what it will take for the world to genuinely acknowledge and act on what is happening in China's Xinjiang region.

The Xinjiang Police Files

You might want to check if your solar panels were made by people interned in 'reeducation' facilities.

Serious concerns about forced labour in solar industry raised by Australian senators

The BBC has released a report here.

The BBC report is majorly distressing. Reminds me of my readings about how the CCP operated during the Cultural Revolution and how North Korea is today.

The faces from China’s Uyghur detention camps

Last edited: 25th May, 2022
    Lizzie likes this.
  19. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

Like an earthquake?

20. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

China’s Huawei signs $100 million deal with Solomon Islands

It's too late now I think - the Chinese are setting up on our doorstep. Their presence in the Solomons will just ramp up from here - ports, telecomms, roads, infrastructure, a military grade airport etc The only viable strategic option we have now is deterrence (Nuke capability).

It's sad that its come down to an arms race. Humans are so stupid.

Last edited: 19th Aug, 2022