Another question about power metering and gas

Discussion in 'Granny Flats' started by Jobeki, 20th Aug, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Jobeki

Jobeki Well-Known Member

Hi guys
    We have a 5 bedroom house with upstairs downstairs that we would like to rent out seperately. I would like to install2 seperate meters so that the tenants can get individual bills. They are wired separately aside from the laundry which is wired for both (eg light switches both up and downstairs) and will be used by both tenants. How do I go about doing this? Electrician or energy company (from previous posts it seems electrician?).

I am thinking about doing this for gas too which would mean installation of a second gas (or electric I guess) hot water system. In any case when both upstairs and downstairs are showering the water becomes lukewarm (we have an older continuous flow gas that does both. Upstairs also has gas stove but downstairs is electric only.

Any recommendations for electricians in Brisbane who could do this?
    Thanks

2. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

If you are in the BCC area what you propose is illegal.
    Entire property must be rented on a single lease.

3. Jobeki

Jobeki Well-Known Member

It Has been certified as a type 1b property

4. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

The shared water and shared power seems to indicate the property may not comply with what is the potential approval and cant be metered. Even sewerage would be joint and cant have separate service fees. Has the building been modified to code for 1B ? incl fire etc. Then given building and rooming approval ?

1b is boarding within a single dwelling. You are provided meals too ?? A kitchen seems contrary to this. Sounds illegal to me. Are you confusing what may be permitted in the area (with approval) v's what you have. Property may be uninsurable as a consequence. You may even face personal liability for some issues eg fire.

May need to seek legal advice from a solicitor - certus legal is a good source for this local knowledge.

Rooming accommodation | Brisbane City Council

5. Jobeki

Jobeki Well-Known Member

Paul we have had it certified as a type 1b property including fire!! We both have access to the laundry thus meeting the shared rooms requirement. I agree that I am not sure that seperate meters would meet compliance and is something I am in the process of investigating. We are insured with EBM and they are aware of the setup. Two kitchens are not illegal, I was worried about this too initially but there is nowhere that I could find that it says this and the certified signed off on it (I think I can probably thank strict Jewish people for this as they will often have 2 seperate kitchens). We do not provide food but provide internet and garden services

Last edited: 24th Aug, 2019
  6. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Man shall not live on the garden alone but on everything that may be downloaded from internet as well. :p

Reddy and Property Guts like this.