Another password question

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by wylie, 15th Jul, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I received notice early today via my iPhone settings about some password breaches and suggestions that I change some passwords that have been linked to data breaches.

Some are old emails that I've not used for years, so I cannot do anything about them. And I changed all the passwords I could find several months ago, but did save them to my devices so they autofill when I need them, and when my devices are unlocked.

I did some digging and read that if I change a password and ask my Mac to save the password on my Mac, iPhone, iPad, that these can easily be hacked.

Is this the case, or have I misunderstood the message.

If this is a risk, then I'm going to have to use one of the password generator apps I think.

2. Frenchie

Frenchie Well-Known Member

Password autofill is stored in your keychain (check what's in your keychain in settings), and it is very strong.

Password generator - different password for each service - + storage in keychain is a very good option.

wylie and Baker like this.
  3. standtall

standtall Well-Known Member

If you own a Mac and a Google account, following is the safest thing to do:

1) Use Chrome and keep it updated
    2) Change your most important passwords to ‘automatic’ password generated by Google password manger. You don’t need to remember your important passwords as they will be auto saved in your browser.
    3) Change your Google account settings requiring SMS verification if someone uses your Google account from a different device.

You would then just need to remember your Apple password and Google password. Change them every 6 months.

It would be next to impossible for anyone to break into your accounts if you are using the above set up.

wylie likes this.
  4. Frenchie

Frenchie Well-Known Member

On a side note, SMS 2-factor authentication (in Australia) is very poor as it's relatively easy to port out your phone number. I can't believe banks still rely on it, or that is hasn't been fixed by telcos.

Price Accounting provide tax services and advice to developers on issues incl GST, Tax + Structure. Our free developer toolkit covers many of the key elements and is critical to a new development tax plan. Email for your copy and our new client pack.