Another newbie!

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Caz jj, 18th Oct, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Caz jj

Caz jj Member

Hi all! I'm currently on Maternity leave with my 2nd child & am looking for a new venture. Something that will eventually replace my income & allow me to do so by sourcing a passive income. I'm interested in call/put options (short). Has anybody got any advice big or small? I have never touched a thing in real estate investment to date. My only experience has been in the 4 owner occupied properties I have had from 2003-current. I have had a few conversations with a consultant that promotes Mark Rolton's Massland company, specifically the Options agreement course available. I understand it is expensive ($5k) but the process has my attention as I have no capital. Have any of you been able to start out without any? I'm not generally looking to mortgage my home to access the equity. Can it be done doing an options agreement, apart from the options fee,legal fees etc???

2. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

I would not be getting mixed up with Mark Rolton and Massland. Be very careful there, It is unlikely you will be a happy camper at the end. You said you've "never touched a thing in real estate to date". If I were you, I would be starting to educate myself on the basics of RE investing from some solid books and the forum to build up your knowledge and develop a BS meter.

Massland is definitely not the answer imo.

Jess Peletier and Brady like this.
  3. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

Have a search in this forum for him.

There is a link to the old forum, the predecessor of this one: Massland seminar - Mark Rolton

Opinions seem to range from mildly bad to scam.

One interesting comment - "easy to teach but hard to implement".

Even if it was good, I'd question getting into advanced property investment techniques without some good experience of the basics.

4. Caz jj

Caz jj Member

Thank u. I am 'wary' of these schemes. I just keep coming back to the same thought that, I have no capital, unable to get an equity loan (due to being in Maternity leave) & figure that the $5k you'd put up for the course would be at least a tenth of what I'd have to come up with your a IP purchase. Naive?? Don't know. Probably...lol! Any suggestions for good publications/DVD's/online vids?

5. Lindsay_W

Lindsay_W Well-Known Member

Hi there,
    I've had a few family relatives that have completed multiple 'Options Trading Courses & Forex trading' and none of them have made any money, even after a few years of sticking to the 'strategy'.
    I think it's important to ask "if they could make money so easily by trading Options then why would they need to charge Thousands of Dollars upfront for the course?' They make their money selling the training course and materials with the disclaimer of 'there is no guarantee you will make money'
    In my opinion the $5k you were going to spend on a course would be better spent with a reputable Financial Planner who can show you how to build real wealth over time, not promise quick returns based on your own understanding of trading.
    Professional traders take years to learn how to earn consistent profits via trading.

6. Jess Peletier

Jess Peletier Mortgage Broker & Finance Strategy, Aus Wide! Business Member

You sound like me - I had a fling with options trading in 2008 when I was home with 2 little ones. :)

Before you do anything, read everything by Louise Bedford and Chris Tate. Learn about trends and risk management, and once you have a bit of a basis, buy/sell an option and see how it goes.

Just so you know - I sold a Macq put option in 2008 and lost half my savings in a day. Be wise. ;)

7. geoffw

AFAIK, Mark Rolton is into property options, rather than the stock exchange.

Caz, you're only on maternity leave, you're not permanently retired. Take the opportunity to read up and learn. Search the forum for books and podcasts. Read and learn what you can. And when you're back at work, you will be able to proceed with much more knowledge.

You're young. Patience grasshopper ;-)

Caz jj likes this.
  8. Peter_Tersteeg

Peter_Tersteeg Mortgage Broker Business Member

If you have an owner occupied property, odds are you do have some capital.

You do need to educate yourself and investing is incredibly difficult whilst on maternity leave as your income is restricted. Take the time to educate yourself as geoffw suggests.

9. Caz jj

Caz jj Member

I appreciate your feed back. There must be some people out there who have? I don't see it as a get rich quick option but yes, all these webinars lead to a phone call lead to a $5000 cousre....but there are some that have good reputations and no bad review
    I am sorry you lost half your savings! That would have been a kick in the guts after all the hard work you would have put in. In my example, the student wouldn't be using their own capita for the 1st 'deal'l. I think that's the attractive part. I would love to go out & do it on my own but getting finance & educating myself are the hard parts. Podcasts & literature are all well & good, but finding good recommendations for either of these is is a mystery. Even knowing which recommendation specifically for a good book to educate myself further is proving difficult. How do you know it's even legitimate itself, without being recommended by someone who has used it's information and been successful with it. There doesn't seem to be any of these around?

I appreciate all the feed back indeed!! :)

Lindsay_W likes this.
  10. Caz jj

Caz jj Member

Yes I do have some capital but unable to access at the moment as I'm on maternity leave. Also looked into SMSF, but again combined with my partners Super, it's not enough for the 'suggested' amount of at least $200k

Do you have any suggestions in the 'education' for options agreements/selling that you suggest? I'm aware I need to do this in a thorough manner before diving in, but where to start?

Cheers :)

11. Caz jj

Caz jj Member

Thanks for the info, I think it would be a difficult section of the Industry to master as I've been advised. I'm ok with hard work, just need to find recommendations for great resources to begin educating myself :)

Lindsay_W likes this.
  12. Caz jj

Caz jj Member

Thank you, as I have replied to most who have posted comments, I am after ANY reliable sources of educating material...podcasts/videos/books. :)

13. geoffw

I'd start by learning a lot more about property in general. Starting at options is starting at the top and working down - it's one of the most complex areas, and one most people never get into. I'd suggest that you don't try to bite off so much. Before owning an investment property or doing a development, you're wanting to get into a complex and potentially risky area. That rings some bells for me.

There are threads here on books, with posts by people who have a lot more recent knowledge than me. Check them out. Jan Somers, who with her husband hosted the predecessor forum to this one, wrote one of the first- "Building Wealth Through Investment Property". This was a good one for the basics, and its principles still apply, but it may well be out of date now.

14. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

You may be interested in some of these:

Michael Yardney, How to build a multi million dollar property portfolio

Jan Somers More Wealth from Residential Property

Margaret Lomas How to achieve property success

Margaret Lomas How to Create an Income for Life

I buy Houses, Paul Do

20 must ask questions, Margaret Lomas

geoffw likes this.
  15. geoffw

Some of these are available cheaply second hand or on Kindle.

16. Peter_Tersteeg

Peter_Tersteeg Mortgage Broker Business Member

Reading this forum is probably not particularly structured, but it is one of the best resources out there for property investment. education.

The books suggested are particularly good, but also keep in mind that many of the finance and tax examples they cite may no longer be relevant.

Caz jj likes this.
  17. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Yep. Biggest bang for buck I reckon. Even new shouldnt break the bank .

geoffw likes this.
  18. Caz jj

Caz jj Member

That's awesome, thank u so much. I really appreciate it! :)

19. Caz jj

Caz jj Member

Thanks Geoff, I'll take any advice I can! ;)

20. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

NP. One more book pdf you can read on line you may like. It's around success attitudes/habits/mindsets. It was one of the books that was instrumental in changing my life.

http://4motivi.com/books/jim/seasons.pdf