... another money owed

Discussion in 'Starting & Running a Business' started by Lizzie, 1st Jul, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Thanks for the support guys - I dislike confrontation, especially about money, and find it hard to understand people who think they can just get away without paying their debts.

He's promised to pay more next week (see it when I believe it) ... only problem is that if he gets under the $2,000 owing, I can't take him to small claims ... might have to consider the bikie friend of my neighbour ;)

EN710 likes this.
  2. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

Keep away from those grubs it's better to lose a few k then deal with them

Lizzie likes this.
  3. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Yes - it was tongue in cheek ... I've lost more on re-selling my horses once daughters outgrown them

bob shovel likes this.
  4. skater

skater Well-Known Member

Don't leave it until August! The amount isn't all that much, if he can afford to go on Holidays, he can afford to pay it.
    I'm not liking this. It seems he knows this as well. Reduce the amount payable down to under $2k & you're screwed. I'd go to small claims and get a judgement ASAP. He can then pay it back in small amounts, but you won't end up out of pocket by $2k.

5. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

I'm with Skater.

Lodge the claim now. You can always negotiate a payment plan.
    Marg

markson, wylie and EN710 like this.
  6. DaveM

DaveM Well-Known Member

If they were good friends they would have paid you. Small claims or solicitors letter and statement of liquidated claim. Personally I would commence winding up proceedings against their company even if it cost me more than the debt, I cant tolerate people who abuse other peoples businesses through non payment while living the high life... I see it as paying it forward for every other business they are screwing over.

7. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Yeah - agree with you all. He's working the system. Have just sent an email saying that:

... due to the long string of broken payment promises, we are not prepared to wait until August. Please have the money in our bank account by Monday morning or we will be proceeding with small claims. If you can afford to be "away with the family for a week" then you can afford to pay this small debt ...

Speaking to other growers - he does have a reputation for not paying ... well ... he picked on the wrong one here.

8. larrylarry

larrylarry Well-Known Member

Ensure your correspondences are clear about your demand on payment and their replies refer to your demand for payment. 3 strikes are good enough for you to commence a small claim in the local court.

In your statement of claim, ensure you refer to the services rendered and payments requested and further demands on chronological order. Once filed, serve it via the Court. (cheaper).

Hopefully they will pay immediately upon being served. Include interests payable. You can seek further assistance from the court house.

9. Bran

Bran Well-Known Member

You have nothing to feel bad for here. I'm pretty bad with bills (not deliberate, just forget/overlooked), and always feel exceptionally guilty when I'm reminded.

10. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Good on you Lizzie. No prisoners. He is taking advantage of your good nature. Time to be tough.

And Bran... you've not paid my last invoice. You must have forgotten. I think is was $15k. :D:p

Bran and bob shovel like this.
  11. Bran

Bran Well-Known Member

Wasn't I buying you a house?

Marg4000 likes this.
  12. wylie

Oh yeah! I forgot. I'll adjust the invoice a little upwards. :D

Marg4000 likes this.
  13. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

I know that is the case sometimes - which is why I was lenient with so many reminders ... all with a copy of the original invoice attached.

I hate it how people like that try to turn it back onto you being a "b***h", rather than accepting they are in the wrong and being humble that you are notifying them rather than just slapping them with a court order

Bran likes this.
  14. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

To submit online I didn't need to include any of the correspondence, other than the original unpaid invoice ... will need to get it in order if end up going to court. Thankfully most of it was via email and I'm really slack at cleaning out my emails ... hopefully it simply gets paid.

skater likes this.
  15. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

... apparently I'm ignorant, arrogant and bullying because I wouldn't accept their "end of August" payment offer. Copped a real email spray - ending with a threat never to do business with me again - to which I politely and calmly replied that I don't expect to.

I really hate it when people get all attacking, try and blame you for their own poor decisions, and the situations those decisions have gotten themselves in.

I strongly suspect - being in a farming community where (I now find out) he has a reputation for not paying but farmers are not renowned for chasing debts - I am the first that's stood up to him.

Very reminiscent for dealing with my ex husband (an emotional bully) and hubby's ex wife's arrogance, who he had never stood up to before I came along ... ah ... happy memories :cool:

16. wylie

Lizzie, he clearly doesn't like that you recognise his delaying tactics and have called him on his bad business behaviour. He is a bully as you already know. Don't let his email spray put you off. You need to stand your ground with this and don't back down. Nothing has changed except he knows he has tried to call your bluff and you aren't falling for his lame excuses.

He knows you know that he could afford to go away with his family but haven't paid his debts. He doesn't like it. Too bad, so sad. I'd keep pushing. Don't let him get away with this.

17. skater

skater Well-Known Member

No, don't let him get away, then once it's done & you've got your money, when his name comes up in a bad light, you can let others know how to deal with him. Maybe next time, it's a case of paying up front when people want your goods.

18. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

This was for the grapes - and traditionally payment is spread over several months so that it's not onerous on the winemaker ... missed first payment ... missed second payment ... promised to pay it all on third (after dozens of other promises broken) ... missed third payment.

Have no fear - I feel no scruples or hesitation in letting everyone know if someone is unscrupulous in business

skater and Marg4000 like this.
  19. Phar Lap

Phar Lap Well-Known Member

Its a case of sour grapes…?

LoL, sorry, couldnt help myself.

Go get em Lizzie, dont let up.

20. skater

skater Well-Known Member

Grapes are still goods, and the amount so small, that I would think that the winemaker would be able to pay up front.

As a Business, I buy from several different suppliers. Some are happy to offer an account, but only once you have established yourself with them, and then there's paperwork involved, but my largest one ONLY does payment up front, and the payments are often over $30k.

The winemaker is operating a Business. He's using those grapes to make a profit. If he can't afford to buy the grapes, he has no business being in Business, go it's well & truly time he was taught a lesson.

wylie, DaveM, Gockie and 2 others like this.