Another Interest Rate Drop?? What will happen

Discussion in 'Property Market Economics' started by MTR, 20th Sep, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

Sydney is special because of land constraints. And people still want to move here, there are jobs.
    Land constraints = higher prices. Think Hong Kong. Anybody who owns land there is mega rich.
    That's why we have $1 million home medians. It may go up or down, but the underlying demand means it will always command a premium. At the moment prices are still heading north because of low interest rates and jobs. I don't see interest rates increasing anytime soon. People are still moving here for jobs as the market is still so robust.

Plus it's just a beautiful city. The weather's great 9-10 months of the year. Sometimes there are weird weather events but we don't tend to have 4 seasons in a day and we didn't have the 2011 floods.... :)

2. JDP1

JDP1 Well-Known Member

True. As long as jobs leads the nation and rates are low, Sydney will be ok. The main detractor is that salary growth in Sydney is almost non existent( pretty much a national thing) and house price growth has and continues to outpace salary growth leading to unaffordability.
    Lots of smaller factors such as questionably sourced money from Asia fuelling Sydney etc also contribute but these are secondary.
    If Sydney loses the jobs advantage or if other cities make headway in this regard, the money may well flow into thosr areas rather than Sydney. Jobs is going to be the key. Interest rates apply equally to all markets so that's a non differentiator.. As you rightly mentioned geographic constraints limits supply in Sydney as well and is a differentiator...the combo of geographic supply constraints and jobs on the demand side is what is keeping Sydney strong.

3. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

I suppose if you can't afford a full blown house and Blacktown/Mt Druitt/Penrith/Liverpool/Campbelltown/Illawarra/Central Coast don't appeal, then it's either a townhouse or unit. Sydney has scope to add units. Once those owners get a bit more money/equity/owe less and grow a family then they might be able buy a reasonably well located house...
    Of course if you already have the family then it's a harder decision. Commute or squeeze (or migrate elsewhere?)

4. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Toon likes this.
  5. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Sydney never slows down... ever! ;)
    Keep an eye on the state deficit, things will get interesting.

6. Magnet

Magnet Well-Known Member

7. hash_investor

hash_investor Well-Known Member

Both eyes are committed elsewhere at the moment but I will put a camera to it to go through later on ;)

8. JDP1

JDP1 Well-Known Member

I like your new avatar @MTR ...who cares what happens to the sydney market when we keep getting such avatars :)

Player and MTR like this.
  9. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Good, stay focused :p

10. Player

Player Well-Known Member

It's a bit blurry. I still prefer witchy poo in lingerie. If interest rates drop we can definitely expect @MTR to change her avatar. Actually, we can safely expect her to change her avatar even if interest rates don't drop any further. :D

MTR and Stoffo like this.
  11. Kangabanga

Kangabanga Well-Known Member

is that the new Moaning Lisa? lol...

drg86 likes this.
  12. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

No moaning today, very serious work today..... :p

13. Ald

Ald Well-Known Member

People are generally too scared to sell their house and upgrade in Sydney. They sell their place and then by the following week property prices in their desired suburb run away from their affordability.
    There is simply low housing stock in Sydney at a time when the Goverment is developing education as an income stream. Chinese people want to live in Chinese suburbs and send their kids to good school. Enclaves form. It's great, a Chinatown is exotic.

Chinese people are pulling massive amounts of money from China into other countries. It's crazy but China is nearly more expensive than most countries now, so we should expect manufacturing to return eventually.

14. Kangabanga

Kangabanga Well-Known Member

Not gonna happen, in asia the new factories are moving to places like Vietnam and Thailand. Toyotas are coming from Thailand now for example...

Cheap credit back home is what's providing them the capital to buy up assets overseas. Once that stops it's game over.

15. Barny

Barny Well-Known Member

Cheap credit won't stop for years, it can't stop. Raise rates and the rest of the world including us will be in recession. Asset bubbling will not stop until something collapses. For now, if rates continue to drop, houses will continue to rise in Australia.

Cactus likes this.
  16. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Sounds like a boom... they could always buy first and then sell.
    Markets do cool down they dont keep growing indefinitely. Sydney growth has been spectacular, whats the median now??