Another curly subdivision query!!! AGHHH

Discussion in 'Development' started by JKWS, 22nd Jan, 2022.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. JKWS

JKWS Well-Known Member

Brains trust please help!

Council isn't returning calls and I can't for the life of me find the planning rules to suit in the local guidelines.

The vacant land i'm looking at in regional VIC is 1200sqm and looks to have been subdivided from the street facing property. All the surrounding properties are around the 500sqm mark all zoned the same res.

Looking at the contract its a community title subdivision, shared driveway.

Would I be able to further subdivide this property providing we meet car turning circles etc?

2. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

I'd engage an independant town planner for advice on this - and perhaps a surveyor if it's community title to see how that affects the ability to subdivide it further.

I'd say the shared driveway might be a sticking point as you would need all owners to give permission for it to be shared further or allow a Right of Carriage over it under the current ownership.

Last edited: 22nd Jan, 2022
  3. JKWS

JKWS Well-Known Member

Thanks for your input :)

I've seen you have a heap of experience so ill take your advice there! Ive actually just gone through this process, subdivided in an existing community title subdivision, bloody nightmare.

Ill chat to the planner and get his report, along side this ill have to have a special condition in the contract that the road be shared for xyz preference to the rear. Looks to be a mum and dad subdivision so id say its them selling.

4. lixas4

lixas4 Well-Known Member

Based on the limited info in your question, you can potentially subdivide this land, and if you dont need to change the common property dimensions (for access or turning circles etc), then you may not need consent from the other member of the owners corporation. It really will depend on what you are planning on doing and the situation on the ground.

The question isnt really for council, and they will prob not fully understand the subdivision act and the particulars of section 32 which relates to what you are doing. If this is a land subdivision you should be talking to a land surveyor (to confirm the subdivision and consent requirements), planner (zoning overlays etc) and engineer (services and upgrades req'd) for this one. If you plan on building as well, then also discuss with a designer.

If you are regional, most larger towns have firms that are all in one (surveying/planning/engineering and sometimes designers as well).

5. Tufan Chakir

Tufan Chakir Well-Known Member

Great advice from lira
    Also check the zoning and overlay for (current) minimum lot size - don't assume what has happened in the surrounding area now applies. Is there a sewer or septic system in place? If septic system check land area required for effluent disposal - could be a factor. Shape and dimensions of the land will affect development opportunity (ie locating houses/access etc)

craigc, JKWS and lixas4 like this.