Annoying neighbors

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by jins13, 11th Jul, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. jins13

jins13 Well-Known Member

Hi,

Currently renovating a place at the moment and after a hard day of renovations with my folks (bless them), I decided to take it easy and have a nap. Cannot believe that in a space of 30 mins, that the neighbor next door illegally entered my property to have a sticky beak and either the neighbor or one of their relative temporarily parked their car on my driveway!!! Seriously, I know the house has been vacant for a number of years, but still!!! Well I did scare their grandchildren because they thought they saw a ghost!!! ha ha.

Anyone else have neighbors like those or should I just ignore it for the time being due to nothing being stolen or taken?

2. Vicki S

Vicki S Well-Known Member

They may have been looking for something they could turn into cash, depends on the area a bit.

3. Bran

Bran Well-Known Member

I'd ignore it... once. I'd sticky beak too if it had been vacant that long with sudden activity.

4. jins13

jins13 Well-Known Member

one good thing is when my friend dropped off some items they actually questioned him and said "You are not the owner" lol.

Normally prefer to keep a low profile and when they also asked my builder if l was of a Chinese background ethnicity, my builder having my type of sense of humour informed them "Nah mate, he is irish"

Last edited: 11th Jul, 2015
  5. Heinz57

Heinz57 Well-Known Member

Hmm, when you are renovating some people feel free to wander in. The hard part may be re-establishing boundaries once you move in - we had some elderly neighbours who never worked out that distinction.

6. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

Walking straight in is not on! But the car thing could let slide, they may have been using it as their own while the place was empty.
    Good they questioned your friend, and actually took note of you
    Just keep an eye out for bikie colours

7. SeafordSunshine

SeafordSunshine Well-Known Member

Hi Jins 13,
    I have returned to find the neighbours have erected an antenna , damaging my roof, 'over the dividing line,' erected electrical inverters on a boundary balcony, (by son, heavily tattooed former licensed electrician) . Are using my garbage bin. They Forgot to ask... sorry for the rant... 'save up street parking spaces for their own vehicles'... I need to confront them, ... I need to set boundaries...:eek: Please please don't let it get to this situation,
    for your sake, I do hope its just a bit of boundary setting that needs to be demarcated.
    Please don't park here.. etc.
    on a brighter side, they may have been doing you a favour, keeping other types out?

8. jins13

jins13 Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear about your misfortune! I was concerned about something like this, so that's why I stayed back after my folks went home. At least the good thing is I know where they live so if anything happened, at least I can return the favor with interest ;).
    For now I constantly have tradies coming in to do work and also my friend also has a project on the next street so can rely on him as well because he took some time off work to stay in the area. I told the tradies to continue on with the line of the owner being Irish ha ha. Across the road do have a bogan couple who loves doing burnouts but they seem harmless enough.

9. Property Twins

Property Twins Mortgage Brokers & Buyers Agents Business Member

A few years ago we were tidying up one of our Mounty villas - neigbours felt free to walk in ; with one particular annoying neighbour was adamant on renting out to his family. We told him to go talk to the PM - the application never came!

10. C-mac

C-mac Well-Known Member

I've only renovated units. Apart from neighbours directly across the hall, popping their head in to have a sticky beak, I've been pretty good. Once I was clearing out a filthy LUG and some neighbours were giving me strange looks, that's about it.

Sometimes it can be a good thing if the neighbours in question are owner occupiers, I guess it might demonstrate a level of neighbourhood spirit/concern? I ended up having a good chin-wag with the owner-occupier neighbour who as it happens was very vocal on the strata committee so it was good to get an update from an owner-occupier on issues with the block.

11. jins13

jins13 Well-Known Member

thas right Cmac because a friend found out from his neighbor that they have a former/registered sex offender living on his street. Who knows if that neighbor was just trying to scare my friend off or not.

12. C-mac

C-mac Well-Known Member

Yikes! Definitely good to find out things like that, about a street or town!

13. Darlinghurst Boy

Darlinghurst Boy Well-Known Member

your perception maybe wrong.
    Just because people talk to you or try to make a conversation it doesnt mean they are up to no good.
    Many times I look at properties in the Country areas where people actually say hello.
    Its been vacant that long and no one broke in probaly because the neighbours parked their car in your driveway.
    I imagine they have been watching over the property.

I guess if you treat people rudely they may just return the favour eventually.

I always try to introduce myself to neighbours or say hello in case they need to call you or you go away along time someone can look over the property.
    I guess its up to you if you wish to be sarcastic to your neighbours,because your the one living next door to them not us.

Last edited: 11th Jul, 2015
    WattleIdo likes this.
  14. thatbum

thatbum Well-Known Member

Yeah to be honest, I didn't see what the issue was exactly. It didn't really seem like something worth getting annoyed about to me?

The neighbours popped over to see what was going on, and also used a parking spot they had noticed was empty for years?

15. rhinsor

rhinsor Well-Known Member

Tell your neighbors to pick up a tool and start helping.

I wouldn't have a problem with them parking their car if my property was empty.

16. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I think I would go over, introduce myself and ask them if they want to see what you are doing. If they are unfriendly at least you know you have made an effort.

S.T likes this.
  17. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Hand them a piece of fibro and ask "Do you think this is asbestos?"

The Y-man

diverbryson, Kael, CU@THETOP and 3 others like this.
  18. Bayview

Bayview Well-Known Member

Our 2nd IP was a 1991 2x1 villa unit in a complex of 12..mostly older O/O's and a couple of younger renters.

I did a fairly substantial interior reno on it, and I had the neighbors wandering up and knocking on the door, or peering through the window quite often.

Human nature really.

I ended up getting a decent amount of repair work from some of these other residents from their sticky-beaking!

19. jins13

jins13 Well-Known Member

The parking is not so much the issue at the moment, but entering someone's property without consent from the owner is unlawful. Maybe you are comfortable with neighbors entering your property (inside the house) but I am not, so that's the issue. I have no problems if they asked to have a look around when I am there, but the fact they thought there was no one there makes it worse.

20. jins13

jins13 Well-Known Member

Yes, that's my normal style with dealing with neighbors. That way can suss the area out for any potential issues or concerns.