AMAZING questions to ask an agent

Discussion in 'The Buying & Selling Process' started by Scotty3, 18th Mar, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Frazz

Frazz Well-Known Member

Yep, I generally ask after I've built rapport.

It indicates levels of motivation of the seller - a highly motivated seller may be more inclined to negotiate on price. While the answer may not always be particularly helpful (i.e generic 'downsizing', 'upgrading'), I've had instances where the agent has told me that the vendors have bought elsewhere, and as mentioned earlier even had an agent tell me that the vendors were going through a divorce (with the property sitting there un-tenanted, costing them money). Unfortunately not a great situation for them :(, but it helps me gauge their willingness to sell.

2. LifesGood

LifesGood Well-Known Member

Definitely is a legitimate question, but it's no ones business except the sellers!

3. monty

monty Well-Known Member

Not directly but every now and then you get a hint or a response that makes you curious.

Only once have I found a serious problem with a property that I was planning on buying. The agents never told me directly about the problem but after talking with them at a couple of the opens I did have a suspicion that something might be wrong. This suspicion turned out to be correct.

Is it no one's business if the vendor is an owner occupier or investor, how much the vendor paid for the property and when, how much the neighors paid and when, if the vendor has already bought somewhere else etc? If I'm spending hundreds of thoudsands or even millions then I believe it is my business as a buyer.

4. Inov8ive

Inov8ive Well-Known Member

Yeah that's totally cool. To be honest I think you are coming at it from a different perspective from most of us, you being a BA. To me, I'm really not worried about building a rapport with agents as I have better ways to spend my time. If I was going to be buying lots of properties in one region over a sustained period of time then yes, there would definitely be a purpose. When I am buying properties in general I take no prisoners. I push the agent to places they don't like to go, I make lowball offers and I will only buy under market value. If I don't get the deal for the price I want then I move on and get the next one.

5. monty

monty Well-Known Member

I don't see the same agents over and over again so I'm not really worried about building a relationship either. I just make sure I'm polite like I do in all aspects of life.

I've never considered asking "why are the vendors selling" a confrontational or invasive question. I always looked at it as innocuous and easy for the agent to answer which is why it's generally my lead when we start talking business. Another lead I use from time-to-time is "so what's the story with this place?". Very opened ended.

wylie and legallyblonde like this.
  6. proper_noobie

proper_noobie Well-Known Member

I think knowing if the house was owner occupied or rented out matters since I feel an OO house may be in better condition since an OO may take better care of their own place.

7. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

A lot of the things raised can be of use to know, some things may matter more than others, but it is the way you find this out that makes a difference, I think this was the main point a few of us made.

If it is a buyers market you may even be able to get away with more than datto does :)

8. tilt10

tilt10 Well-Known Member

The bleeding obvious. "what will the owners take". There are thousands of vendor crunching agents out there that will tell you straight away. Easy.

Azazel likes this.
  9. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Yeah, pretty close to "what do you think it will sell for?"
    If they hum and haw about what it's on for, move on to the next one.

10. Mogwai

Mogwai Member

I was at an auction two weeks ago, the house was a deceased estate. A lady asked the agent a few minutes before auction started 'did the owner die in the house'.... there were a few strange looks towards her.

11. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Woah, that's up there with dropping a deuce in the bathroom during an open house.
    @Leo2413 may or may not approve if it achieved the desired outcome ;)

12. Zeehan

Zeehan Well-Known Member

My daughter viewed a property in Newcastle for me a couple of weeks ago. She asked the agent whether the permit parking in the street would apply to this unit block which has no parking. His response was "I don't know. You would need to check with the Council."

But I was surprised the agent (a) didn't know about the permit parking, and (b) did not endeavour to find out from the Council himself.

legallyblonde likes this.
  13. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

They probably know/knew, but this is for you to find out, they are not going to point out negatives.

14. Zeehan

Zeehan Well-Known Member

Exactly!
    If he was honest, he should have just said "No. The parking permit does not apply."
    Needless to say, I have not pursued this property with this particular agent.

15. Patamea

Patamea Well-Known Member

Is there enough space in the backyard to build a temple?

Azazel likes this.