Alternative to SMSF

Discussion in 'Superannuation, SMSF & Personal Insurance' started by roberto, 16th Sep, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. roberto

roberto Member

Hi,

I would like to have the control to invest my super in a mix of 3-4 EFTs. Nothing fancy, something like 40% ASX300, 40% S&P500 and 20% Fixed income, but I do not want to setup a SMSF for that.

I am at the moment with ANZ One Path (my employer default super), I can only switch to the funds/options they have.

Is there any low cost alternative that allow me to have more control without having to setup a SMSF?

Thanks,
    Roberto.

2. FireDragon

FireDragon Well-Known Member

3. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

4. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

You'll find that even the industry funds can getyou along the way to smsf eg CBus

5. roberto

roberto Member

Thank you. I am looking at both of them.

ING charges $180p.a + brokerage of 0.13%
    AustralianSuper charges $0p.a. + brokerage of 0.3%

They seems to have a simple fee structure, I need to read the full PDS to double check.

Thanks,
    Roberto.

6. christos

christos Active Member

Australian Super are fairly decent (using Member Direct). You can direct trade as well as switch asset classes simply enough online. Mind you regardless of platform performance is pretty dismal at the moment

http://oi60.tinypic.com/2ilbq4n.jpg

7. Greyghost

Greyghost Well-Known Member

Vanguard? Though mainly index funds.
    Fees much cheaper than other companies, thus not eroding your compounding effect of your investment.

8. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

This company seems to be mentioned by many on this forum as having great track record.

Last edited: 29th Sep, 2015
    KayTea likes this.
  9. Greyghost

Greyghost Well-Known Member

I was reading tony Robbins new book and he talks about index funds vs fund managers and how over "x" years the compounding effect of lower management fees generates a larger end lump sum. Plus he says majority of fund managers fail to beat the index funds over medium term.

From this I found the australian equivalent, vanguard. Have not really found any negative about it as yet..

MTR likes this.
  10. inspiredbyprop

inspiredbyprop Well-Known Member

I just looked at the Vanguard website. What is the main difference between their "Retail Managed Funds" (RMF) VS "Exchange Traded Funds" (ETF). It looks like the management fees on RMF is lower despite there is a fee when buying/selling.

11. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

I guess another option could be buy shares top 100 Australian companies using ComSec, more of a hands on approach

12. JohnPropChat

JohnPropChat Well-Known Member

Which one did you end up going with?

The prices seem to have increased since then.

ING Living Super - $300pa + $20/0.13%
    AustralianSuper MemberDirect - $395pa + brokerage from $15, 0.3%, 0.2%, 0.16%, 0.12% etc

eSuperfund is $799pa + $259 ATO Levy. Obviously much higher than the other two but also comes with much more flexibility in investment choices and they apparently handle all the SMSF admin.

13. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

From my understanding one of the great benefits of a SMSF is no CGT when going from accumulation to pension mode. Generally this is not the case with Retail and Industry funds. Despite rubbish put out there by pooled funds with vested interests that SMSFs in regard to this CGT issue are somehow operating under different rules to Retail and Industry Funds, this is totally untrue. The same rules apply to all. It appears to be a Trust structural issue, ie Pooled Funds vs SMSF. However this not my area of expertise so others may wish to add/correct?

It looks like QSuper is one of the first Industry Funds to try address this issue to some extent:

Financial Standard - QSuper takes industry leap with retirement incomes

Last edited: 9th Mar, 2016