Airtasker screwed me :'(

Discussion in 'Legal Issues' started by Momentum, 25th Jul, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. datto

datto Well-Known Member

I got to admit, I have been mulling over the idea of using airtasker to fix my joint up. Yeah, nah I'd rather do it myself.

Dean Collins and Scott No Mates like this.
  2. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

@datto - so you think that if I air taskered cutting the neighbour's grass (bikes clubhouse), that they'd appreciate it?

datto likes this.
  3. datto

datto Well-Known Member

Unless you're the Terminator I'd give it a miss lol.

4. Scott No Mates

That's why you'd outsource it ;)

datto, Tom Rivera and bob shovel like this.
  5. bunkai

bunkai Well-Known Member

My 2c

I've been using some of these sites for specific tasks where I can define exactly what is needed and if I need it done quickly. Many unqualified people on these sites - many more than I have ever come across before. Need to be careful and manage your risk :)

Airtasker - I think there seems to be more unqualified bidders, good for really random things, better for unskilled tasks.
    Hipages - Only get 3 quotes - I don't think it is as effective.
    Serviceseeking - unlimited quotes, seems to get the best results.

datto and Tom Rivera like this.
  6. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

Doesn't sound like it was cheap. $450 is a lot for that kind of work (at least in Perth). My last quote from a proper stump removal company in Perth was less than $200.

Xenia likes this.
  7. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Why not claim under YOUR insurance ?

Lucky that the fool didnt cut his foot off and sue you. After all they may well be covered by YOUR workers comp if you engage them and if they are a sole trader they dont have workers comp....You dont have workers comp ? Oh crap..............

8. RichardN

RichardN Well-Known Member

Yeah, just curious what happens on this casse. AirTasker charging fee left and right and expectaion is they cover these kind of insurances or do Due Diligence on Taskers otherwise what is the point of they charging fee and platform.

9. Paul@PAS

You may be liable as the property owner for the acts of people who perform work on your property. Hard to disclaim liability by admitting they were a contractor !!

Seriously I just looked at HiPages for a small job at home. In the end I realised I had no idea if they were qualified or insured or ABN etc. Cheap is cheap for a reason.

RichardN likes this.
  10. Scott No Mates

Always ask for it before engaging them. Look them up on abnlookup and Fair Trading sites.

Dean Collins and Harry30 like this.
  11. Redwing

Redwing Well-Known Member

Go for it, a dollars a dollar

upload_2019-10-25_18-47-43.png

12. Curious2019

Curious2019 Well-Known Member

Using properly qualified tradies with insurance is worth the cost.

My partner is an electrician. He was recently doing a job installing a USB charging station for a new client. Unbeknownst to him, there was a small water piper clipped to the back of the plaster he drilled into with a hole saw. There was water gushing everywhere until he could shut it off. Got underneath the clients new bamboo flooring that they had just installed. He has $20mil public liability insurance. Called the insurer right away, had dryers in the house within 2 hrs and damaged was assessed within a few days. Client got a full cash payout to replace the floors. Cost us $500 for the excess (more than the $470 job) but the client was amazed that it all got resolved and he wasn’t out of pocket. It pays to use reputable services. He had no problem paying $90 an hour for the electrical work. My partner avoided having to fork out $10k to replace the floors out of his own pocket. First time he ever had to claim on his insurance in 5years but it’s paid for itself for another 5 years I reckon.

13. Dean Collins

Dean Collins Well-Known Member

Do that.....but also take airTasker to small claims court.......you'll win judgement and then you can recoup costs (in the mean time pay AGL).

14. Dean Collins

Dean Collins Well-Known Member

$470 to install USB charger..... FM!!!! What is wrong with this country (both in costs to do so but also someone prepared to pay that fee.

15. bmc

bmc Well-Known Member

"qualified tradies with insurance"

everything has a cost. qualifications, equipment, and........... Insurance fees.

16. RichardN

RichardN Well-Known Member

These guys are getting greedy. Until recently they used to charge Tasker 10-25% and now they also started charging poster fee. Not sure exact % but for $300 job they charged around $20.

I don't believe platform charges are this expensive. They only provide chat support at the moment.

17. Momentum

Momentum Well-Known Member

Update: I ended up paying $570 to the gas company for the damage caused by this Airtasker and claimed it on tax.

luckyone likes this.
  18. Paul@PAS

I also just found another benefit of not using HiPages.

My insurer said - How did you damage the pipe (that caused ceiling damage) ? I said. I'm a idiot. I had a calcium build up in the floor waste and used a screw driver. I should have used vinegar... She laughed and said..... Well your invoice from the plumber shows it was damaged and you admit to it and so its covered by your policy provided you didnt choose to damage it deliberately. I said no I didnt. And its within the claim value for a automatic approval too..

So the insurer will add $550 to the claim for the ceiling and that means the excess is paid by the plumbers bill I paid a while back. They will now pay me !! Apparently heaps of claims get rejected when using hipages and the like as the invoices are subpar or lack a ABN license etc.

luckyone likes this.
  19. Scott No Mates

The ATO would reject them too if it came down to an audit.

Always vet your subbies, check that they hold a required licence, insurances, training, ABN etc.