Airless Sprayers - Any tips for a newbie?

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by hematite, 26th Jan, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. hematite

hematite Well-Known Member

I'm needing to do a paint job in a new house later this year, and thus have been researching more efficient ways of painting the place.

I will need to do the undercoat and then 2 top coats.

I have seen some videos on youtube of airless sprayers, and they are incredibly fast (Im aware you need to cut in and also mask a lot of switches, door frames etc up).

Does anyone have any resources or tips they can share on painting using an airless sprayer?

Usually I roller everything, but that will take too much time, so I'd like to try to use an airless sprayer.

I have read a heap of the safety aspects around airless sprayers (given the high pressure they use)

2. 158

158 Well-Known Member

3. hematite

hematite Well-Known Member

Thanks Pinkboy, just had a good read of the thread.

Any other personal experiences would be great to hear about.

I'm hoping to do the ceilings also. Does anyone know what are the minimum specs that one would require for the sprayer to be able to do the ceilings (i.e. flow rate or ability to add an extension wand?)

I'm looking at Graco or Wagner - anyone had any experiences (good or bad) with either?

Last edited: 26th Jan, 2016
  4. 4point5million

4point5million Well-Known Member

I'm amateur but I have done 4 houses, by the 3rd it was starting to look good!

Seriously though I think it was one of my best renovation buys. I just bought a cheap orzito from bunnings. Get a good mask and glasses and practise first in maybe the garage.

The last house I did was a 6 bedroom double storey, I pulled the doors off and taped up the windows and switches etc. I then sprayed the ceiling, ( the paint shop lent me a wand) then the walls, then the doors. I then untapped and went 2 coats over the trim and the ceiling cornices. I then ripped up the floor and tiled and carpeted. Later I sprayed the lower outside half of the house, and rolled the top half and sprayed the deck, shed and garage. Did it all fairly quick. It is quite messy, I think that if I wasn't going to replace the floor I may of rolled.

I love spraying and would never roll unless I had to but then again most people prefer to roll, I'm not sure why but I'm sure there is a good reason.

I think I paid about 250 for the sprayer and I get a very cheap rate on paint, so the whole exercise has been really profitable over a few houses

Sorry none of this probably helps but I do enjoy writing about it!

5. Redwing

Redwing Well-Known Member

I was trying to convince the BIL to use one on his reno, just so that I could have a crack with it :)

6. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

Actually was looking into buying one, the guy at Bunnings said don't waste your time, he siad paint spray goes everywhere and a big mess, he uses them, but only on new places, otherwise roller only.

I said I roller in my home and would do it that way, but want to save time doing other jobs, he did not convince me, but the boss was there, so that killed that stone dead ....for now at least.

I hate painting :(

We provide our clients with the opportunity to select their own investments from a wide range of ASX listed securities. We provide the research to ensure your selections will achieve the goals. This is the value of advice.