AirCon: Ducted vs Split system

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by James H, 16th Feb, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. James H

James H Well-Known Member

Got a quote for 12k for ducted solution and 8k for split system for my house. I am looking for advice on whether it's worth the extra money to install ducted AirCon. I've been told that the zoned ducted aircon can save on your energy bill compared to split system, when they are all turned on. Is this true?

But when I only need to use it on 1 or 2 zones (rooms) out of 6 for example, would ducted aircon actually cost more? I was told the smart zoning technology like MyAir can help save electricity cost. Does anyone have experience on this? Thanks

Last edited: 16th Feb, 2017
  2. Digitalism

Digitalism Active Member

I have the MyAir app and can say that it doesn't help with electricity.

It really is dependent on use. I would think that split system would be cheaper to run if not all the units are on.

A ducted system is much neater install, just one larger outdoor unit versus 6 or however many units for splits.

3. hammer

hammer Well-Known Member

I'd go splits any day if the week for the simple reason that it's so much easier to fix.

Also if one unit goes down, the splits in the other rooms continue to work....Ducted on the other hand. ...

4. HomePage

HomePage Well-Known Member

Ducted systems lose energy through the duct work, which makes them have to work harder to deliver the same performance as a split system.

I have 3 split systems in my house, one in the lounge room which rarely gets used, one in the family room/kitchen are which gets used daily, and one in the master bedroom which is extremely economical to run on hot nights (like < 10 cents for the entire night). As our house is very well insulated (R6-7) and our windows are tinted, if we open all the internal doors between the master bedroom, family room/kitchen and lounge room, our one 7kW unit in the family room/kitchen can cool the lot, even on a warm 34C day like today here in Canberra, operating at about 50% capacity or less.

5. neK

neK Well-Known Member

Can't comment about electricity costs, but i do have both.
    I only use ducted to cover the rooms that don't have splits.

This autumn / winter I'm going to get another split installed.
    The ducted is simply too loud to run (outdoor noise).

6. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

We have a ducted system that is about 18 years old, less efficient obviously than one installed these days. The bedrooms never really got a good dose of air through the day as the living areas seemed to take most of it. At night, having just the bedrooms on was great, but through a very hot day, they felt like they had no cooling at all. We had the option of switching bedrooms (all switched together) or living areas on or off.

About three years ago, we put small splits into each bedroom and don't ever use the ducted now for the bedrooms.

My parents' house had ducted installed say 12 or so years ago, and they had the same problem, though each bedroom was able to be turned on or off. But still bedrooms suffered when the whole house was running.

I don't know if this is a common problem or just that we managed to cop two houses that it was a problem with.

The thing is that I much prefer the sleek "almost unseen" look of ducted against the bulky and ugly wall mounts of the splits. I'm guessing possibly a split these days might be able to be hidden within a bulkhead like a ducted can be, but we have the ugly wall mounts. But I'd prefer that than living through a heatwave which we all did before air-con became so affordable.

7. alexm

alexm Well-Known Member

For an extra $4k, why would you muck around with a bulky split system?

A current generation ducted system is my preference especially for high end homes, units etc. Also I think a ducted system will be more appealing to purchasers when you eventually sell.

datto likes this.
  8. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

For the minimal extra cost of ducting, the power savings can be substantial especially when running the lot. The key is getting the zones right ie bedrooms may be on one zone (even if you are conditioning some extra space).

Noise: I have found that 3 x 1.5kw units makes much more noise than 1 x 3K/W unit for a ducted system. @neK - your system may be an old one which tend to be noisier.

datto likes this.
  9. neK

neK Well-Known Member

@Scott No Mates you are definitely right... it's probably about 10 years old. Keeps cutting out on heat mode and last weekend at 40 degrees it couldn't cope, but the following day which was 35 it was ok.

I would change it, except I am planning on renovating in the near future and the place where the outdoor unit sits is where I want to change.

10. hammer

hammer Well-Known Member

We have modern Fujitsu splits here in Darwin.

These would have to be the best splits I've ever seen. They are whisper quiet and our power bill is minimal.

I'm pretty sure that not all splits were created equal....

Is your quote for flash splits or just average ones?

11. James H

James H Well-Known Member

It's Daikin brand

12. kierank

kierank Well-Known Member

We have ducted air-con in our PPOR and split systems in our IPs.

Ducted air-con might need 3 phase power.

13. hash_investor

hash_investor Well-Known Member

I would prefer split systems. The maintenance seems so easy while ducted can become a nightmare.

14. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Yes much more difficult -

Ducted system:
    1 fcu (in ceiling space)
    1 condensor/compressor (odu)
    1 return air grille & filter
    Safe tray
    Condensate line
    Duct
    Electric dampers for zoning

Split system :
    1 fcu (indoor console)
    1 condensor/compressor (odu)
    1 filter
    Condensate line
    Repeat servicing costs for each split system

15. hash_investor

hash_investor Well-Known Member

still easier if you don't have to touch the duct.