Airbnb to move into long term rentals?

Discussion in 'Airbnb & Short Term Letting' started by geoffw, 15th Mar, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

2. teetotal

teetotal Well-Known Member

Don't say that @geoffw
    Every new idea looks that way in the beginning. I'm sure there will be a lot of ways to make it work.
    And, i think it'll come down to who's desperate to do what.
    If someone's property is not getting rented the normal way, they'll want to give it a go.
    Similarly if someone's been out of luck trying to find a place, they'll want to give it a go too.
    So it may work.

3. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

It may work as a service to find tenants. But it would be very difficult to provide the full local service which a hands on local PM provided here in Australia.

However PMs in other countries may well have a lower service level. I was extremely disappointed when I let out a property years ago. A lack of good inspections meant that the property had deteriorated- I don't know if that is normal.

The business model superficially appears similar, but there's a huge difference in the implementation.

4. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

LOve to see how tenants accept the lack of support and how arrears get managed. Airbnb cant manage ongoing rental income. Its geared for paying for a specific stay. Its like saying Uber are getting into national truck freight

5. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

At this point in time I don't think it will work either.
    Btw, if any guests stay longer than 1 month as a host you get paid for 1 month of stay (the day after checkin) and you get the next instalment a month later.

6. teetotal

That's a good idea actually.
    There are thousands of truckies/contractors who own 1-2 trucks and still have to work for big courier companies. They'd love to uber their trucks.
    And having worked in Supply chain for much of my life, i can tell there is rarely a day when a truck is not required on a short notice.
    It can work too.

7. teetotal

I'm sure if they do it, they'll optimise their structure to suit what they plan to do.
    Hence they are conducting a study only at this stage (to get same findings what we are discussing here anyway).