Airbnb property near hospitals for self isolating healthcare workers?

Discussion in 'Airbnb & Short Term Letting' started by Simon Hampel, 2nd Apr, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

I read this article: 'Nowhere else to go': Healthcare workers struggle to keep their families safe from COVID-19

Frontline healthcare workers in Sydney are having to turn to Facebook to find places to live away from their families to protect them from coronavirus.

Rose Ybanez is a nurse at Sydney Adventist Hospital with an eight-month-old baby and her 72-year-old mother with pre-existing medical conditions at home.

She shares a room with her husband and baby and said she wouldn't be able to go elsewhere to self-isolate should she contract coronavirus.

"If I did get infected I have nowhere else to go, we don't have a spare room," Ms Ybanez said.

"It's $100 a night for places accepting self-isolating individuals, but I can't pay that every night."

... read more

I'm wondering if there is an opportunity for people with vacant Airbnb or furnished properties in close proximity to hospitals to offer to house a front-line health care worker cheaply (or for free!) ??

I think the government should also come to the party here and offer to subsidise medical staff housing - but that doesn't mean those of us with the ability to help can't do their bit.

Phineas, Eric Wu and wylie like this.
  2. bumskins

bumskins Well-Known Member

Government should pay for it. No way the healthcare worker should have to pay twice.

3. Simon Hampel

I was more talking about those people in high risk professions (healthcare) who choose to stay away from their families because they don't want to put them at risk - especially if they have elderly or immunocompromised family living with them.

It's a choice rather than something mandated.

Eric Wu likes this.
  4. S1mon

S1mon Well-Known Member

air bnb already has that set up. i thought about it but not sure how it works in regards to tax deductibility if it is not available for rent / not at market rate

"We encourage you to host COVID-19 medical professionals for free if you’re able. We also understand that this year has been incredibly challenging for hosts. If you still want to help and choose to opt in and make your space available at a cost, Airbnb is currently waiving all fees for the stays."

Simon Hampel and Perthguy like this.
  5. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

6. Simon Hampel