Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community

Airbnb in Canberra

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Lito, 26th Jul, 2016.

1. Lito

Lito New Member

Hi,
    I'm a newbie. I would like to connect with anyone who is currently hosting an Airbnb place in Canberra. Yes, I'm considering doing the same thing. Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
    Ciao.

2. Leo2413

Leo2413 Well-Known Member Premium Member

@Gockie may know someone there or have some good info on it perhaps.

3. D.T.

D.T. Adelaide Property Manager Business Member

Do you have a property already, if so where abouts?
    Or are you considering buying one for the purpose?

4. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

Have you stayed in Airbnb before? If not, try a few to see what works well and what doesn't.
    Marg

5. Gockie

Gockie I'm an ISTP-A female, so I might be a bit quirky! Premium Member

Hi Lito,
    I agree with Marge's comment. Stay at a few and see what makes a great stay and borrow some of their ideas. I have a few Airbnbs but they are in Sydney.
    I stayed in a good Airbnb in Canberra while I was visiting though, it was in a family's townhouse style home (i.e. PPOR) in suburbia in a near new estate. The rates were reasonable, my comment to them was that they should raise their rates, it just seemed too cheap for what they offered. (They were saying they also attracted people who wanted to stay 3 weeks or longer who moved to Canberra for work and they didnt like that... neither would I)!.

The fantastic thing about this stay was that the hosts were really great, spacious clean and comfortable bedroom with tea, coffee, microwave in the room if you wanted to use it. The home was clean and they liked to use the heating! (It was super cold outside!!) But in addition, we had our own full clean bathroom all for ourselves... extra kudos for that! :)

I suggest you can try staying at some and talking to the hosts.

The downsides...
    Washing! Lots of it.
    You may get very over cleaning... so get some very reliable cleaners.
    Its a bit of work but not super ardous.

Upsides...
    The money!
    Meet interesting people. :)
    If you do it in your home you're likely to keep it cleaner than if you didn't.

Absolutely consider doing full home/full private space options... you'll be able to charge more for it but obviously you need to have a space you can do that.

Also, I stayed at someone else's home and he was renting 2 rooms in the home as separate listings. That's a real option too, and quite nice for travellers to meet other travellers but in a home situation rather than in a hostel.
    More than 2 rooms in one home would feel a bit transient though imo.

Whether or not you want to do something like that is up to you though.

:)

6. Jamie Moore

Jamie Moore MORTGAGE BROKER - AUSTRALIA WIDE Business Member

Hi @Lito

Where is your airbnb pad?

I haven't tried it in Canberra but I suspect it would work well - especially if the property is close to the city or universities.

Canberra is a transient place - a lot of people would come for short work stints or to check it out before committing to a move. For those people - air bnb would be a perfect option.

Cheers

Jamie

7. S1mon

S1mon Well-Known Member

yeh im giving it a crack....need to get it listed, just doing my landscaping now..bit of a low risk gamble..

a trailer certainly helps when gumtree shopping :/