Aggregated concrete removal options

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by westbound, 17th Jun, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. westbound

westbound Member

I have aggregated concrete flooring in my pergola. I don't like and want to replace the same. Some options I have considered are below:

Area approx - 40 m2

1) Decking --> The concrete is already too high. So decking over it will take the height above the ground level of the house. Cost approx - 9k

2) Grinding --> I have been told that the aggregate is too rough to be grinded.Some have suggested around 4k for grinding.

3) Tiling --> This is the option I am tilting towards as it can be laid over the aggregate. The cost will be around 4-5k including installation. The only issue I have with this is, it will make the are really cold for bare feet.

Can you please suggest if I have other options? Also add pros and cons to the options above.

2. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Why would tiles be colder than aggregate concrete?

It is external, isn't it? Probably used mostly in summer?

3. vbplease

vbplease Well-Known Member

I think it would be difficult to make it look nice.. having the deck too high above natural ground and the internal floor height.. and the edges of the deck will require some clever finishing, so it doesn't look unfinished..
    Moisture will get trapped in the decking joists and rot out.. this would be my least preferred option.
    It may look quite nice once sealed and would be very low maintenance.. This would be my preferred option.
    Tiling over exposed aggregate even with rubberized adhesive and regular expansion joints will still end up with drummy tiles in a year or so.. If it were my pergola I wouldn't do this..

4. vbplease

On second thoughts.. sealing a concrete slab in an exposed environment will likely end up with a cloudy finish as dampness will get trapped under the sealer.. not the end of the world.. but worth keeping in mind.

5. Mark F

Mark F Well-Known Member

Similar to tiling, how about paving the area with a relatively thin stone paver.

6. westbound

westbound Member

will it be cheaper than tiling or look better ?

7. Antoni0

Antoni0 Well-Known Member

What about epoxy floor coating with like flake colours in it.

Stoffo likes this.
  8. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Is it exposed aggregate or prebblecrete?

Prebblecrete is an applied topping with 5mm aggregate/pebbles whereas exposed aggregate is integral with the slab.

9. westbound

westbound Member

apparently the exposure is too big(i.e. pebble sizes too much) to do it.

I think it is exposes aggregate. It was done before we moved in, so unsure. Picture attached

Attached Files:

10. Antoni0

Antoni0 Well-Known Member

I wonder if they can use levelling grout on it ?

11. wylie

That photo shows what looks to be exposed aggregate (isn't that the same as pebblecrete anyway) in very good condition. What about buying a big outdoor carpet and place it over the top?

12. westbound

westbound Member

will that be able to handle rain? This are is exposed area

13. wylie

I'm sure you can get something like an outdoor carpet that is weatherproof. Is the whole are in such good condition? Do you just not like the finish?

Just googled and found this...

Outdoor Rugs

AxeLy likes this.
  14. westbound

westbound Member

Yep I hate the finish. Neither us nor any of the friends can walk barefeet on it.

15. Scott No Mates

Not the same, this is pebblecrete (5mm coloured pebbles) laid as a topping over the concrete.

[​IMG]

16. Mark F

Mark F Well-Known Member

If it is loose laid on a thin sand bed then it may well be cheaper than tiles. I reckon that half the cost of tiles is the glue.

As to looking better, that is in the eye of the beholder.

17. wylie

We've had three driveways done recently and the finish looked like concrete, but next day they acid washed to expose the stones.

I just googled "difference between pebblecrete and exposed aggregate" and google tells me they are one and the same.

I'm not wanting to prove anything, but I'm curious now.

I do know I had to choose the colour of the stones (majority anyway, because they are a mixture like the photo shows), but we wanted "black" majority.

18. vbplease

Exposed aggregate and pebblecrete are slightly different.. as far as I know

Exposed aggregate, most commonly used for driveway/patio slabs, is poured as a regular slab with the desired aggregate mixed in, or the pebbles can be placed onto the green concrete (if you want a particular pattern).. the slab is then abrasive washed to expose the aggregate before the concrete is cured and then sealed.

Pebblecrete is more commonly used in pools (or dodgy bathrooms). It’s trowelled on as a pebble/mortar mix onto a concrete substrate then cleaned and sealed.

The main difference would be pebblecrete is trowelled on vs aggregate mixed in to concrete mix with exposed aggregate.

craigc and Stoffo like this.
  19. Scott No Mates

Prebblecrete uses a selection of pebbles (includes quartz, rounded coloured glass, browns, blacks, creams etc all about 5mm max), this is applied in a sand/cement granolithic topping which is about 25mm thick on top of a rough screended slab. As the concrete goes 'off' the surface is washed and the cement matrix is washed off leaving the pebbles (aggregate) exposed. Marblesheen is another variation If this finish.

Exposed aggregate uses concrete with 20mm round river gravel in lieu of random crushed blue metal. This is poured as the slab and the cement matrix is also washed off leaving rounded stones exposed.

AxeLy and vbplease like this.
  20. Scott No Mates

AxeLy and westbound like this.