Advice on Selling

Discussion in 'Property Experts' started by LouLou22, 29th Oct, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. LouLou22

LouLou22 New Member

Hi. I purchased my house 12 months ago. This house sits on a corner block about 5 metres across the road from a Catholic school. Recently I have been told that the school is buying as much surrounding property as they can and offering above market prices. Does anyone have any advice on how to approach them to get the best price or is there a professional I can go to for advice?

2. Phill74

Phill74 Well-Known Member

Talk to someone at the school (principal / board) and see if they are actually interested

If so 1. Talk to 3-4 real estate agents who are active in your area, tell them you are thinking of selling and would like a price guide
    2. Also get your own independent valuation from an accredited valued (not an RE agent)

With one & two you should be well placed to negotiate with the school

If you don’t want to negotiate directly you can appoint one of the agents above to do so, which comes with their fee, but it may be worthwhile if your not confident / lack experience with negotiating

An alternative may be to put it on the market, see if the school is the only interested party or if better offers (including the schools) are available when there is competition

3. Dan Wood

Dan Wood Well-Known Member

All of this and put it on the market if you're serious about selling not just to the school, if you get offers it also gives you more negotiation power..

4. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

No school will consider land across the road without very serious issues arising for safety. If the property was in a closed street eg a cul de sac etc that may assist but ordinarily schools wont want students crossing roads. Neighbouring property or those that back on to it maybe.

The Catholic Education Diocese will handle property issues for its schools. Schools have no involvement at all unless its a private catholic college. The principal may have a contact but also may be uninvolved.

5. 738

738 Well-Known Member

I’ve sold many properties to schools that have been across roads. Not sure what you have based this comment on as it is incorrect.

6. LouLou22

LouLou22 New Member

Thank you to everyone for your advice, it is very much appreciated and gives me a starting point. The street is tiny, only 4 houses and the road is only about 4 metres wide. The school uses it as drop off/pick up and parking so is always congested to the point of not being able to move.

7. Brady

Brady Well-Known Member

@LouLou22 care to share the school? I recall a while ago there was an article about a school that was buying property nearby.
    Reckon the article had a picture of the properties the school purchased.
    Do you know if the school has bought nearby? Are you between a couple they own already?

8. Jockosaurus

Jockosaurus Well-Known Member

That assumes they want the land for classrooms or sporting facilities, but there are other possible uses.

Price Accounting provide tax services and advice to developers on issues incl GST, Tax + Structure. Our free developer toolkit covers many of the key elements and is critical to a new development tax plan. Email for your copy and our new client pack.