Advice on how to find information on long term drivers of market performance?

Discussion in 'Property Market Economics' started by Anthony Brew, 5th Mar, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Anthony Brew

Anthony Brew Well-Known Member

Reading one of the great articles on the website of @Andrew Hancock, which mentions long term drivers of market performance such as "income growth, infrastructure, population growth, etc."
    Just wondering where one would go about finding this information?

Also mentions shorter term drivers such as "days on market, number of sales, median price", and also wondering where one would get this information also?

Thanks for any info.
    And thanks to @Andrew Hancock - lots of well written articles there.

Last edited by a moderator: 14th May, 2018
  2. wombat777

wombat777 Well-Known Member

Councils and the state governments publish plans that include population projections and economic forecasts. Council websites are a good source for targeted information. Remember google is your friend.

Each state has planning departments that produce regional plans.

Days on market, median and other suburb-level info is easily found at the suburb level on the major real estate websites. Quickest way is google ...

LMGTFY

Last edited by a moderator: 14th May, 2018
    ashish1137 and trinity168 like this.
  3. MyPropertyPro

MyPropertyPro REBAA Buyer's Agents Sutherland Shire & Surrounds Business Member

Hi @Anthony Brew

Firstly, thank you for the kind words! I write the articles to help everyone at all different stages of their investment journey and as I very much appreciate reading other people's perspectives and insight from different areas of expertise, it's great to share it all around to everyone can benefit.

Regarding your question, I've established a 'useful links' page on our website under the 'Resources' drop-down menu where much of that information can be found.

Found in a slightly more obscure location, if you go to Resources > Tenants > Emergency Numbers you'll find links to all the councils in and around South East Queensland. This page is to assist tenants predominantly but it'll save you searching for council's websites if you're looking in those areas and as has already been mentioned above, you'll find plenty of great information with regard to infrastructure planning etc. (the profile.id link on the 'useful links' page is absolutely fantastic and one of my favourites).

Based on this post, I think that 'Useful links' page might be better placed under the 'For investors' drop-down menu as you probably would have seen it! I might get that moved...

Thanks! :)

p.s. if you're wondering why I haven't linked you directly to those pages, PropertyChat rules prevent business members from directly linking to their own sites

Last edited: 5th Mar, 2017
    paulF and Anthony Brew like this.
  4. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

The Australian Bureau of Statistics has a tonne of data incl population, migration, human population movements between states, incomes, sales and census often broken down by state sometimes regions.

State regional planning agencies publish and produce data councils use. Councils dont produce data - They just spend money. The danger with state and regional planning is its self published self fulfilling reporting to support political decisions.
    eg More people want to live in NW Sydney so lets build a metro railway. Then real estate demand rises in the corridor, so lets fill that demand and flood the market with apartments and changed LEPs to a higher density etc. Final conclusion is the crush of people in apartments need ways to get to work...So lets build more toll roads. (when the railway was the original motivator). They then realise they need a hospital and so Rouse Hill will be home to a new public hospital. Now its called creating jobs. But the public transport and toll road was for the jobs for these people wasnt it ? And new schools etc...

The fox runs the hen house.

Anthony Brew likes this.
  5. Ted Varrick

Ted Varrick Well-Known Member

Are you saying that it sounds like Transurban and Ramsey Health Care stock might be worth consideration?

Perthguy likes this.
  6. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

All info is out there but is fragmented and requires you to filter and decide etc as well.

BuyersAgent likes this.
  7. BuyersAgent

BuyersAgent Well-Known Member Business Member

^ this. you need to decide what you are hoping to achieve and what metrics are likely to correlate with that. Many long termers on the forums have been developing their own special blends for decades and no one site contains everything. Even when you have the bits you need to think about how much weighting to give them.

8. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Random brain shart ?

9. Ted Varrick

Ted Varrick Well-Known Member

So you want to go short on them instead?

You could have just said so.

And what's this "random" thing?

10. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

I phone lots of re agents many can provide critical information, seems too simple, but it keeps them honest and I really only interested in the main in 2 factors number if properties on market abd sakes