Technology & Social Media Advice on an Android tablet

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by geoffw, 17th May, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

I am needing an Android tablet- for the right one I may be needing a quantity.

Requirements:
    .10 inch screen (down to 7 inch at a pinch)
    .Processing speed or power not a consideration. They will be running a very light application.
    .Sturdy. Needs to withstand drops and rough handling.
    .Wifi only required
    .Second hand is fine
    .Screen may get damp
    .I'm very cost sensitive

I have been using iPad 2 tablets, which have been very good. They withstand dropping quite well, one meter drops don't seem to cause them a problem. But even second hand ones cost $160 to $200 and cheaper alternatives would be better.

I have previously had a cheap Android which gave up the ghost completely when dropped 15cm onto a hard floor- I need something much better lasting than that.

2. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

I know very little about these gizmos but do know not get the $100 jobs from big w

Sounds like you need to invest in a super duper case

3. Jess Peletier

Jess Peletier Mortgage Broker & Finance Strategy, Aus Wide! Business Member

Super dooper cases cost as much as the second hand iPad.

4. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

I read pretty good reviews about the Lenovo Tab 2 A7 ... for $97 it's a decent little tablet (only 7" though)

Lenovo Tab 2 A7-10 7" Tablet | Officeworks

I was considering getting one for the kids to replace the old ASUS Transformer TF201 we've had for years and is on its last legs.

5. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

If you need something truly rugged, you're going to be paying $$$ for it. Cases are expensive too.

6. Dan Donoghue

Dan Donoghue Well-Known Member

Can I ask what the app you are running is?

A Pi or Arduino with a battery and touch screen may be a good option for you if there is a Linux version of your app.

I have an Xperia Z2 table which is awesome (and waterproof) but even second hand I think they may be out of your budget.

7. Mumbai

Mumbai Well-Known Member

8. geoffw

The app is a custom app for use in restaurants. We are spending on Android development mostly to try to get cheaper hardware. I don't see getting a Linux version as well as an option at this stage.

9. Guest

Guest Guest

Last edited by a moderator: 17th May, 2016
  10. bob shovel

There's a reason they're 30% off. ... they're rubbish!

Wish i knew about these vovo's a week ago before i bought a Samsung tablet!

Last edited by a moderator: 10th Oct, 2021
  11. Dan Donoghue

Yeah unfortunately Android is a broad statement.

For example, Kodi (one of the most portable media players in the world) will play on my tablet flawlessly and will stream across the network.

My Mother in laws tablet (cheap Aldi job) will play any video file on the device but flatly refuses to stream. I have no idea why and I have spent hours trying to troubleshoot it, all to no avail.

I think your best option is going to be to segment your requirements, remove the need for shock proof and get some shock proofing cases for them.

How water resistant do they need to be? Is it likely that liquid will be spilled on them?

12. geoffw

I don't need it big scale shock proof. But I don't want to have a device that dies with a very small drop- it will obviously turn out to be far more expensive than alternatives if that's the case. I've dropped my iPad2 from 1-2 meters more times than I want to remember, and it's going well.

They don't need to be really water resistant. Water and dirty fingers on the screen are likely to be the worst that happens (I would hope).

13. Dan Donoghue

You could possibly combat this with a decent screen protector, one that can be wiped clean. On of those Target jobbies quoted above might actually suffice :)

14. geoffw

Definitely thanks Dan.

Normally I would not have thought it would be a problem- unless the device wasn't constructed well or had some sort of fault. They are supposed to withstand sticky children's fingers I would have guessed.

15. geoffw

Thanks for all the hints so far.

I am happy with second hand. That's how we have bought all our iPad 2 tablets so far, and we've done OK. The Lenovos which have been mentioned so far don't appear to be available second hand- with the price of new 10 inch tablets being above the price for second hand iPad 2 tablets ($180-$200) it's not quite worth it to go to Android.

It will be stuck to the wall with velcro pads- so the Lenovo Yoga, which are 2 in 1 devices which Grays Online are selling, won't be suitable, as they have a bulge at the back for batteries.

16. bob shovel

I wouldn't get the 100 target ones. I have gone through 2 pro tab type ones for kids.
    Minimal storage space and very slow. Plus broke very easily twice. Would not get it for work!

17. hammer

hammer Well-Known Member

Cases are expensive...only if you buy them retail.

Whatever tablet you buy, you'll be able to get a rugged case for $2-$7 on eBay. That should help immensely with durability.

I've heard good things about those lonovos at office works too.... I reckon you could get one of those and a rugged case for 110 all up.

Don't buy second hand. The chances of it giving you trouble are just too high.

18. Mumbai

Mumbai Well-Known Member

19. Mumbai

Mumbai Well-Known Member

20. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Hi Geoff

Where do you get your second hand iPads from?

I have a first gen Air, but crashes on Gumtree so have to upgrade