Advice needed

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by Mumbai, 28th Apr, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Mumbai

Mumbai Well-Known Member

Can someone shed light on what kind of celing is this called?
    Any Pros and Cons buying a house with this kind of ceiling and flat roof across the house?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Propertunity

Propertunity Well-Known Member

It looks to be T&G - tongue & groove ceiling which is more period style, with exposed beams beneath.
    Ceiling is fine as is or you could gyprock over it for a flat modern appearance. Flat rooves are generally thought to be more prone to water leaks as there is not a lot of "fall" on the roof and so it takes longer to shed water off it.
    You probably won't be able to access the roof space to check for pest damage either due to the roof design - very little space between the roof & ceiling.

Mumbai likes this.
  3. Mumbai

Mumbai Well-Known Member

Thanks @Propertunity in your experience, is 'fixing' the roof to a more conventional roof better option for PPOR? Is that an easy/cheap fix?

4. Propertunity

There is no need to "fix" a roof that is not broken, IMO. If you want a more conventional roof - then no, it is not an easy/cheap fix.

Mumbai and wylie like this.
  5. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I love that roof. But agree with @Propertunity that you would want to make sure it drains well. Also, you could find it has no insulation.

I wouldn't change it. Either you like this design style or you don't?

Mumbai and Propertunity like this.
  6. Mumbai

Mumbai Well-Known Member

I like the design. I am worried about the things you and Alan mentioned above. Aesthetically its pleasant to the eyes, but you dont want to keep spending money cooling/heating and fixing leaks.

7. Propertunity

Welcome to the world of property ownership. If you don't want, then rent somewhere and let the LL fix everything.....but have no security of tenure and be on the receiving end of rent increases over time. Also you can only renovate a LL's property to a very limited extent and only after gaining permission.

8. Mumbai

Mumbai Well-Known Member

I am looking at buying this property for PPOR, and hence the questions. No LL or Tenant involved :)

9. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I love this style, but it does feel low. If you also love this style, then I'd check the roof for "fall" and then go for it (if everything else stacks up). I wonder if you can check to see if there's been insulation between the ceiling and roof?

Mumbai likes this.
  10. devank

devank Well-Known Member

One of my relatives has this kind of fairly flat roof. They have water leaking issue during heavy rain.

Mumbai likes this.
  11. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Very common in Vic out the east side.

Flat metal roof house.

Almost no space between ceiling and roof - so can't duct aircon etc (you could go the exposed industrial look I guess :D)

You might even find some of the electrical is run along the beams instead of "in the ceiling".

I odd thing I found in one of these was the gap at the walls - hard to describe but see the kitchen photo - there is a space where the "ceiling" meets the wall. Check outside - some of these houses I found were completey open to the elements at that point :eek: Great in summer but gee the heating costs in winter!

The Y-man

Mumbai likes this.
  12. The Y-man

img_01.jpg

The Y-man

wylie, Scott No Mates and Mumbai like this.
  13. The Y-man

14. Luca

Luca Well-Known Member

The same dilemma here, 60yo PPOR with a flat roof. We decided to let it go, we were lucky as due to recent rains we noticed a lot of water ponding in different locations. I would say, if new, need to be 200% sure about design and builder, if old a lot of due diligence to be done unless it is a cracking deal and you have the budget for the roof to be replaced/fixed in the near future.

15. Mark F

Mark F Well-Known Member

Make sure you check the ceiling height. Filling in may make the ceiling height too low and thus deemed not habitable.