Advice needed: what to look for in a townhouse, other than location? (buying in Brisbane, BCC)

Discussion in 'What to buy' started by jaybean, 1st Apr, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. JDP1

JDP1 Well-Known Member

All three look ok to me. the rentability will also be good- you will get good quality tenants, quickly tenanted, and decent yields for these. The size and location will drive the cg.- both of which look fairly good.
    Im not sure about tri levels though. Personally, id prefer only one flight of stairs. There wwill be some put off by stairs ( elderly, those with young kids etc). Also check the body corp fees.
    Check the locations with respect to travel times and how to get to the cbd. Brisbane is all about convenience and ease of access to the cbd- express bus or trains are gold.

2. JDP1

JDP1 Well-Known Member

depends. In sydney, i would accommodate no more than about 25-30 in a complex. In a country town like brisbane, id condsider no more than 15. In regional outposts like Adelaide, no more than 5-7. The smaller the number of units, the more desirable it is- RE agents love pimping that stat if its in a small group.

3. Joey

Joey New Member

Thank JDP1 .

Im leaning towards the Morningside even thou its an older property , the area seams to be better serviced shops/parks and has roughly the same public transport times from your door as the Carina . Because of the location we think the rental of Morningside in future would be tenantable .

Body corp for Morningside is $1600

4. DanVan

DanVan Active Member

Hi Joey - I know the streets of the places you've found quite well. Haven't lived in them but have driven down them many times over the years.

For living in, avoid Adelaide St Carina. It's a low-lying narrow street oversaturated with unit complexes, It turns into a major thoroughfare at certain times of the day with the sporting facilities at Clem Jones Centre. Nothing special about it.

Pashen St Morningside is a much nicer street, very busy at school times but you're up high depending on street position and a noticeable distance closer to the city. Morningside train station is walkable from there, and you're also not far from the Bulimba/Hawthorne precinct for lifestyle shops and nightlife. Would rent way quicker and for more than the Adelaide St options too. It's a good spot :)

Joey and The Y-man like this.
  5. Karlos1234

Karlos1234 Well-Known Member

Make sure the kitchen isn't upstairs. My friend lived in such place a few years ago

6. Yllenk

Yllenk Member

I agree that an end townhouse is most important - the extra natural light offered by side windows and doors makes it feel a lot more homely (and less apartment-ish). Rear of complex isn't necessarily better IMO - depending on the layout, the front townhouses again may feel a bit more like a home (walking to the front door from the street), as opposed to part of a bigger complex. Personal preference only.