Advice needed for IP layout, 4bd to 3bd a good idea?

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by Ropata Tipene, 3rd May, 2022.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Ropata Tipene

Ropata Tipene Well-Known Member

Thanks @Zimplestiltskin I like this layout, it makes sense to utilise the rear patio as an extension of the main entertaining area.

Maybe swap the bathroom and adjacent bedroom if that can be done within budget.

2. Ropata Tipene

UPDATE: I've stripped out the interior and 90% of the covered patio area ready for the builder (when I lock one in for this reno, no luck so far) found old termite damage to some of the hardwood frames in the rear bedroom, so treating the frames -image attached.

had a structural engineer check the dwelling and we've decided to remove part of a load bearing wall, and increase the height to the rear roof (master/toilet/bathroom/laundry currently 2mtr high) so its inline with the main roof line (2.7mtr)

Working with a drafty and we've settled on the layout attached for a few reasons, mainly came down to budget restraints.

Adding a 1.8m high fence to the front of the property and building a deck to create a front courtyard, and the rear of the section will have an open patio/carport. Also building a small deck to the master sliding doors.

Secured a roofer to replace the asbestos roof/gutters/downpipes. Have purchased used windows/kitchen/laundry/bathroom cabinetry all ready for the builder, to keep within our budget....

Attached Files:

Zimplestiltskin and Marg4000 like this.
  3. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

Looks good!

Can you add a separate shower in the bathroom where the cupboard is?

4. Ropata Tipene

Yes we're amending that, adding sliding doors, French doors also.

Marg4000 likes this.
  5. Zimplestiltskin

Zimplestiltskin Well-Known Member

Looks good!

Yeah that rear section must have been a cheap add on by someone. I think you've chosen a good layout, probably most cost effective, well done!

6. Bendigus

Bendigus Well-Known Member

I think this sounds far too rushed.

You haven't got a builder. It's probably the worst time since WW2 to find a builder.

You don't have plans yet. So you'll be along way off getting a building surveyor to do their thing then. They are all busy too.

I get that it's an old house and usually after doing demo some additional costs are revealed. But it seems as though you evicted the tenants and did the demo too early.

In the grand scheme of things,. It won't be an issue. Just don't be surprised if the house remains in its current state unchanged for a year.

Dave Radelaide and Ropata Tipene like this.
  7. Ropata Tipene

I took on the tenancy with 7 months remaining when I purchased the property in May 2021, and extended it for another 12 months from Dec 2021 becuase they had nowhere to go at the cheap rent. I was reluctant due to the state of property but they were happy. They stayed for 5 months, but the QLD floods caused more water damage and major mould. The only option was a full reno so I offered them to break the lease, which they took once they found suitable accommodation.

I agree it's the worst time to find a builder, but I've got three that are willing to quote the jobe once our plans are finalised. They can start before 2 weeks and 3 months, depending on who I go with.

So it'll be empty for 3-6 months longer than anticipated, I can afford to cover the mortgage payments and don't plan to sell, in the long run it'll be worth it.

Marg4000 likes this.
  8. Dave Radelaide

Dave Radelaide Well-Known Member

With the large caveat that I dont know the value of the land nor the rental market in this area but, if you are considering those type of changes, I would have given strong consideration to a KDR.

Bendigus likes this.