Advice needed for IP layout, 4bd to 3bd a good idea?

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by Ropata Tipene, 3rd May, 2022.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Ropata Tipene

Ropata Tipene Well-Known Member

Hi all,

About to start a full gut and reno of my 1950s built IP in the beachside suburb of Clontarf, North Brisbane. It's a 4 bd, 1 bath, bouble garage on a big block in very bad shape. I'll gut it back to the frames and remodel to 3bd, 2 bath, as technically the 4th bd is a study due to a 2m ceiling height - same with current toilet and bathroom.

We have crawl space under the house, haven't checked for load bearing walls yet.

Looking for ideas and feedback.

Budget is tight but I'm handy and will project manage and do 50-60% of the work myself with tradies. I've got backup funds if the budget blows out.

Owned this for 12 months and the tenancy just ended, current tennents for 7 years paying $275pw, I'm expecting this to fetch $500pw once the work is complete.

Attached old and new floor plans, and pics of the kitchen, lounge, bathroom, alfresco area.

Attached Files:

Last edited: 3rd May, 2022
  2. Mill

Mill Well-Known Member

What is the dimensions of the new master? Looks tight

Ropata Tipene likes this.
  3. Travelbug

Travelbug Well-Known Member

Agree with Mill the master looks tiny. I would look at moving the ensuite into the new laundry area and make the main bath a bit bigger and putting a European laundry in there. Then just have a wardrobe not WIR. That will make the room bigger. Check all your dimensions. A master bedroom is useless if you can't fit a queen bed. It was only 2.4 before so I'm thinking it's smaller than 3msq.
    When designing bathrooms we always drew the room on our driveway and walk it to see how tight things were.

Catsgo and Ropata Tipene like this.
  4. Ropata Tipene

Not sure yet but it won't be big, maybe 3x4m plus WIR and the small ensuite. Tennents move out in a couple weeks so I haven't got accurate measurements.

5. Brady

Brady Well-Known Member

As per above your dimensions looks well off as you have put an esuite into what was just a toilet

I would be checking for load bearing walls 1st - this will determine layout, especially on a tight budget.

I'm removing a load bearing wall, that alone is ~$10k with mates rates.

6. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I'd be wanting some inside/outside connection. Maybe put the main bedroom at the front to allow the living room to flow to the patio/deck?

Sackie, Northy85 and Ropata Tipene like this.
  7. Brady

Brady Well-Known Member

upload_2022-5-3_10-32-53.png
    4 Bedroom 2 bathroom.

Lounge wasted space - agreed... but until have confirming structural.

8. Ropata Tipene

Some good feedback here, that laundry/barhroom/ensuite ideas are definitely doable. And will scrap the WIR to make the room bigger.

9. Ropata Tipene

Yes I hear you, ideally I'd move the kitchen/lounge/dining to the rear for outdoor flow to the patio area. Only thing scrapping that plan is my tight budget.

10. Brady

Brady Well-Known Member

First point of call would be builder/engineer to confirm what's structural.

11. Ropata Tipene

I like where your going with this thanks for the feedback. I've jumped ahead of myself, best check the load bearing walls first as I can't stretch my budget to cover the extra expenses.

12. Travelbug

Travelbug Well-Known Member

Moving the living areas to the back means major plumbing changes, that's not cheap.
    Hopefully it's a truss roof so you can remove any walls. I see you are on the Gold Coast. Is the property there?

13. Ropata Tipene

I hear you, I'm adamant I don't want to spend too much as it's only an IP, but it does need a decent living space as the current lounge space is more like a big hallway.

I'm in GC and this IP is about a 90min drive away in North Brissy, but I'm taking 3 weeks off work for the reno, will get alot of the work done then. And I work week on/off so have more time towards this until it's done.

14. wylie

Are you better to tidy it up and rent it out again until a time when you can do something that provides more bang for buck?

Dave Radelaide and Sackie like this.
  15. wylie

We were typing at the same time. Is the size of the living room something that stops it renting quickly?

16. Ropata Tipene

Good question. To be honest I'm on the fence about this reno, but it needs more than a cosmetic makeover before I'd let tennants back in. It's in dire need of maintenance.

I've booked a structual engineer for this Friday, so thanks for that advice @Brady will keep you guys posted

Brady likes this.
  17. Ropata Tipene

It shouldn't stop it from renting quickly if it's priced accordingly. More about my preference as a landlord, I want the property be to a certain standard. Thanks for the thought provoking question, given me a few things to think about.

18. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

To make it more appealing, maybe turn the dining room into a bedroom, open up the long bedroom and living area to make one large open plan living dining. Add a second toilet in the laundry.

Dave Radelaide and Ropata Tipene like this.
  19. Ropata Tipene

I considered this layout but it didnt make the final cut. Maybe the best option if the main walls can't be removed. Shouldn't blow the budget which is great

Last edited: 3rd May, 2022
    Marg4000 likes this.
  20. Zimplestiltskin

Zimplestiltskin Well-Known Member

I think the back is probably an add on and probably should be reconfigured entirely to something like this:
    [​IMG]
    Otherwise I probably wouldn't do much reconfiguring or renovation and just keep it as is.