Advice needed - Brisbane Bayside and neighboring suburbs

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by robbie_p, 20th Apr, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. robbie_p

robbie_p Well-Known Member

Hi All,

After selling my Sydney and Adelaide IP’s over the past year or so, I am looking to get back into the property market in the coming 6 – 12 months as I feel there will be some good buying opportunities for a PPOR.

I have only been in Brisbane for about 2.5 years (previously living in Adelaide and Sydney) and our family have settled nicely in the bayside suburbs. The kids are settled in the area with schools etc, so we probably wouldn’t want to move tooo far from the Wynnum / Manly area.

That said, the prices in Wynnum Manly are a little high and better value and potential could probably be found in neighboring suburbs (Wynnum West, Manly West, Tingalpa and possibly Hemmant).

What I would be looking for is an older property on a decent size block to which I could add value to over time, but still livable (im sure many people of looking for the same thing!). My price range probably $500-600k.

Are any of you familiar with the bayside or neighboring suburbs? Any advice would be much appreciated.

Cheers,
    Robbie

iloveqld likes this.
  2. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

If you are thinking Wynnum Manly then checkout Thorneside, Birkdale and Wellington Point too. You have water to the north, shops, schools, trains, water. Its gorgeous all year round, but particularly beautiful in Winter when you face north, you allow some of the sun into your home to warm it up (not that you need a lot of it in Brisbane's climate, just a little for a couple of weeks is really pleasant) and see water right in front of you. Then the rest of the year you also enjoy cool water breezes into your home.... perfect :)

Note it's a different council (Redlands), but I'm not sure if it's better or worse than BCC.
    People seem nice though. :)

3. robbie_p

Thanks for the reply, much appreciated. These are also areas i have in mind should i not be able to find something closer to "home" :)

Gockie likes this.
  4. RaoulDuke66

RaoulDuke66 Well-Known Member

I'd live in Wellington Point or Manly. Wynnum is quite mixed but I'd live near the front. Probably none of the other places mentioned above. Hemmant is horrific - have you ever been there?

5. wohoo

wohoo Member

If you can overlook a minor drug problem in Wynuum and Manly, that's fine.

Personally I would live close to transport as driving from Wynuum to other parts of Brisbane is not fun during peak hour traffic. Train station in Brisbane generally speaking isn't really safe and reliable.

I have written a few police report for people who got punched and robbed in Altandi Station, for example, when the assault occurred at 4:30pm.

6. RaoulDuke66

Meh. Wynnum is mixed. Problems come from Wynnum West and Manly West. Manly is a nice area. We looked at Bayside and would only have bought in Manly. It also has excellent rail connections for the CBD, double services, express trains etc.

7. RaoulDuke66

Oh, and people who drive in to our work from Manly leave at 6am and keep scheduling 8am meetings

8. HUGH72

HUGH72 Well-Known Member

Altandi station is in Sunnybank, the Cleveland line goes to the eastern suburbs. The Bennleigh line runs to Logan. Different demographic.

Tom Rivera likes this.
  9. Antoni0

Antoni0 Well-Known Member

But then a lot of investors on here think Logan is great and there isn't really anything nice in the foreshore of the water either unless you like boating to the Islands. A lot of the land is low near flood plains and is mosquito and sandfly heaven.

10. robbie_p

@RaoulDuke66 Wellington Point is lovely. We live in a very nice pocket on Wynnum (near the Rugby club and dog park), which is probably a little out of out price range, probably +$800k. I havent spent much time in Hemmant, however it seemed "ok" and had a very rural feel to it, which we didnt mind.

@wohoo I have had no issues driving anywhere from Wynnum or catching public transport from Wynnum into the city. I work from home, so its not much of a factor anyway. The journey on the train from Wynnum to city is 38mins on train, probs under an hour door-step to door-step

@Antoni0 Agreed - Logan probably a better investment, but we are settled in Wynnum, kids are in school, but should we not by a PPOR in Bayside, an IP in Logan would be an option

11. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

Altandi is nowhere near the bayside suburbs.

12. db9

db9 Well-Known Member

So long as you remain flood free I would go as close to the water as possible while maintaining reasonable connection to Brisbane. Wynnum or Manly.

13. 3rdEarl

3rdEarl Well-Known Member

Wellington point and Birkdale are decent offerings. I have first hand experience of wynnum and just say too many drug offences and break and enters. You don't need that anxiety.