Advice for DIY home staging?

Discussion in 'Styling & Decorating' started by S-Star, 29th Aug, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. S-Star

S-Star Member

Hi! Just thinking that we'll need to stage our house to sell it in a couple of months. But because my family is still living in it, I'm thinking I might be able to DIY the staging by buying the furniture. That way we can live in it until we sell. Best case scenario the buyer pays to take it with the house. Otherwise just sell it off on gumtree once an offer goes through.

Any advice on DIY staging? We've gotten rid of most of our mismatched furniture in order to do the renovations, so we need most things. We have appliances and mattresses. 4 bedroom house.

I got quotes for about 5.5k to stage the house, and what they were going to provide seemed fairly basic anyway. I'm not metro so I'm not sure if we have as much competition up here.

Do you think I can do it for about 5k? Or will it risk looking cheap?

2. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

It depends on how you do it. My parents just got a house styled in Adelaide and the stylist when through all their furniture and used what she could. She only hired in what she needed. The stuff she has hired in doesn't look expensive. It's more about creating a coherent look than dazzling with expensive furniture. I am about to create a thread so I will edit this post with a link.

3. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

Quick makeover for sale

4. S-Star

S-Star Member

Thanks!

5. DaveM

DaveM Well-Known Member

Lots of lower end staging is just stuff from Kmart. Hit up gumtree for some bedframes and sofas, then fill the place with twigs in vases and oversize clocks, "Dare to dream" wall hangings and "live laugh love" cushions and away you go

6. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

You've got it spot on! Especially if the inspirational sayings!

7. S-Star

S-Star Member

hehe :)

one challenge with buying second hand is not having a trailer/ute to pick up things, so by the time you've organised to borrow a friend's for every piece it gets very time intensive. But will try to if we can get some of it second hand!

8. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

I like to use the Bunnings Utes and vans.... Not bad prices for 24 hour usage

9. S-Star

S-Star Member

That's a good thought :) what do you pay?

10. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

I think it's about $70 for 24 hours? Can be hard to get on a weekend though and not all Bunnings have them.

11. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

My local Rent a Bomb has Utes for $57 a day (24 hours). They are older cars.

Probably have something similar in NSW?

12. sanj

sanj Well-Known Member Premium Member

No way can you buy furniture to use in and then stage for sale an entire 4 bedroom house for 5k.

Also, your competence at staging and making the right selections hasn't really been discussed, is this something you're comfortable you'll do a very good job at? If not you're shooting yourself in the foot when it comes time to sell imo.