Adding Value

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by Cabricabri, 1st Feb, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Cabricabri

Cabricabri Well-Known Member

Hi,

I've bought a property in Brisbane with the layout below. Could you please advise if you can think of any idea to add value. I was thinking of a new bathroom in the groundfloor where the Entry is and also converting part of the rumpus to a new bedroom. That way the house would be a 4 bedroom, 2 bathroom house. Thoughts?

upload_2021-2-1_17-56-39.png

Thanks!

2. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

From the other photos, it looks like an attractive home that will rent easily. Please understand about turning downstairs rooms into bedrooms - even in Moreton Bay where Ferny Hills is, the councils are anal about advertising and renting out rooms that are not high enough to be called bedrooms. Of course your downstairs rumpus room requires a small bathroom for visitors to use when you are having a party! Bathrooms are easier to advertise although I have received pushback from a valuer about turning one of our downstairs rooms into a bathroom.

Another issue will be your liability if you advertise the house as a 4 bedroom when it isn't legally four. You can attract tenants who will choose to make a bedroom downstairs and it may be OK, but you will have to advertise as three unless it passes all the rules. A helpful building inspector will advise further.

I would suggest keeping the entry as is and building another bathroom near the laundry. For both aesthetics and ease of plumbing.

Cabricabri and Marg4000 like this.