Adding value by converting this spare room to a bedroom/bathroom?

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by mja, 24th May, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. mja

mja Well-Known Member

Hi all,

I've got an interesting project on one of my regional houses. It's a 160sqm house that's a 2 bedroom, 1 bathroom, 1 carport.

[​IMG]

The house has a front porch, with a store room that adjoins the porch:

[​IMG]

This is a room that is currently used for storage, with a single entrance from the porch and no internal access.

[​IMG]

The challenge with this room is that it's only 2 metres wide, but 6.5 metres deep. The brick work on the right hand side wall is part of a walled-up chimney. The wall on the right hand side is shared with the master bedroom, and the wall at the back has the main bathroom on that side. The ceiling height on the left hand side is 2 metres. In order to create a false ceiling, the roof height in that room will only be 2m. As it is, condensation builds up and drips water onto the carpet.

What would you do to this room to add value to the house?

I was originally considering making it a bedroom (so the house is now a 3 bedroom house instead of two), but it's only 2 metres wide, so you would only be able to fit in a single bed.

Other options:

* Leave it as a store room
    * Cut a hole in the wall on the right hand side into the master bedroom and make this room an ensuite/walk in robe + ensuite
    * Cut a hole in the wall on the right hand side into the master bedroom and make this a study/sewing room/etc

Thoughts/suggestions appreciated!

2. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Are you wanting to add value as a rental or for resale?

What would having a third bedroom or an ensuite get you in extra rent or in extra sale price? Then work backwards.

3. mja

mja Well-Known Member

Mainly for the valuer, but also to increase the rent. A 3 bedroom house adds about $30k on the value of a 2 bedroom, and anywhere from $20-$40/week extra in rent.