Adding an awning to an SMSF property - allowable, if not a repair

Discussion in 'Superannuation, SMSF & Personal Insurance' started by KayTea, 6th Mar, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. KayTea

KayTea Well-Known Member

I've had a request from the tenants of my SMSF property for an external canvas awning - currently, there is a glass double-sliding door (without internal blinds/curtains), that cops the full sun in summer and turns the place into a sweat box.

I'm very happy to put the awning on for them, but I need to ensure that it is 'allowable' under the SMSF property rules. I don't see it is adding value to the property (in terms of making it worth more money), but it is not a repair to an existing feature, either. I'm not sure how to classify it, and therefore, if it is an allowable addition.

Can anyone clarify this for me? TIA

2. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

Prob ok, you will need to read the relevant tax ruling on improving SMSF assets or seek legal advice

3. Cadbury99

Cadbury99 Well-Known Member

KayTea likes this.
  4. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Perfectly acceptable provided its installed using a third party supplier and no borrowing is made for the cost. Provided the SMSF doesnt borrow money the fund could pay for an extension for example. The article would likely be depreciated

Tom Rivera and KayTea like this.
  5. Redwood

Redwood Well-Known Member

Hi there,

First get some quotes, retractible awnings for one of my sites was $5k!

"Generally speaking", use SMSF cash reserves not borrowed funds and you are fine.

Cheers Ivan

KayTea and Terry_w like this.