Adding 3rd bedroom to townhouse

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by laam, 30th Jan, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. DaveM

DaveM Well-Known Member

I would do something like this, and add some hallway storage too.

Door into the bedroom as a pocket slider to remove need for swing space

[​IMG]

Gypsyblood and laam like this.
  2. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

I likey :).

Good enough for a nursery or kids room.

Last edited: 4th Feb, 2018
  3. laam

laam Active Member

Thanks for the effort. Really like it. Only issue is the room then becomes a 3.6x2.2. Worried this is too small. Have to be a single bed. No chance of double. But really like the creativity.

The hallway storage is also great as it's something our place really lacks. Wondering if you would put doors on the storage. Or just open. Probably need a door.

Last edited: 4th Feb, 2018
  4. laam

laam Active Member

So update, I contacted council and it appears this won't be approved due to carparking, while we are using this as two spots, the approval was based on only 1 spot, with the spots out the front of the garage considered as turning areas. With the spot out the front of the garage filled, it doesn't meet the turning circle requirements for a car space, despite working that way without issue at the moment.

Anyway to build it as a "study"? Or possible to contest rules given current usage?

5. DaveM

DaveM Well-Known Member

How about this.. no hall storage though

You could move htge bedroom door up to avoid the dogleg but thats a lot more framing and gyprock work

[​IMG]

Last edited: 5th Feb, 2018
    Gypsyblood likes this.
  6. laam

laam Active Member

Thanks again, thats still easier than my first option, likely the best way to go about it.

Now to worry about the council issue.

7. LJW

LJW Well-Known Member

Council approval will be the biggest issue in my opinion. The car parking requirements is potentially the reason that the developer didn't do 3 bedroom townhouses in the first place. If you went from 3 bed to 2 bed, you would also technically be up for additional infrastructure contributions. In QLD this would go from ~$20k (2 bed dwelling) to ~28k (3 bed dwelling).

8. Chrispy

Chrispy Well-Known Member

I turned my 2 bedroom townhouse that had a balcony and a garage into a 3 bedroom with double sized lounge as under - Bedroom 2 was the open balcony, the living area was the garage:...it is currently for sale hence the agent logo:

[​IMG]

9. housechopper2

housechopper2 Well-Known Member

Council will simply not approve this. If the developer could have built a 3bdr TH they would have, but as has already been pointed out to you, there is only one car space which = 2bdr max.

The modification you are suggesting is fairly obvious to future buyers. If they wish to do this then they could do it themselves unapproved, but it can't be sold with unapproved building works.

Tom Rivera likes this.
  10. BabiechangeBella

BabiechangeBella New Member

Hello Chris. I love to add internal wall to my property and convert garage to living room like you.

Last edited by a moderator: 15th Sep, 2021