Adding 3rd bedroom to townhouse

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by laam, 30th Jan, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. laam

laam Active Member

Hi all,
    We currently live in an inner city townhouse in Melbourne. While we have had good growth recently, we have been held back by only having a 2 bed place. While its quite large for a 2 bed townhouse, this still feels like a significant downside. We have a retreat area upstairs that could be quite easily turned into a 3rd bedroom with the addition of a new wall.

It seems like a cheap way to add value to me, but wanted to run it past a few people for other opinions first. I have put the before and after floor plans below to understand the change. The lack of ensuit which is comon for 3 bedders in the area will be the main downside as well as cramping the once spacious upstairs. The 3rd bedroom would also be on the small side. Would appreciate any thoughts on if this is a good idea. Thanks
    Liam
    floorplan1.gif floorplan2.jpg

2. JDM

JDM Well-Known Member

It's quite normal for townhouses to be nothing but bedrooms upstairs. I think the value added by a third bedroom is worth losing the retreat area. I would add a built in robe on the left side of the room given it is long enough to allow for this.

Tom Rivera likes this.
  3. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

what does the BC say ?

ta
    rolf

4. hammer

hammer Well-Known Member

5. laam

laam Active Member

Thanks for replies so far.
    It's a small block of 3 townhouses with no common walls. So we have no official bodycorp. Insurance is joint, but otherwise no agreement. So don't think that's an issue.

Did think of the robe too. Can do that with open shelves. As don't there's the space for doors.

6. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

I think by the looks of it you will be taking up half the staircase width at the top of the stairs, which will make it a dodgy job. Sorry.

7. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

I say do it...I've seen smaller bedrooms than this. Adding bedrooms under roofline is one of the biggest bang for buck renos you can do.

8. melbournian

melbournian Well-Known Member

only thing is when the time comes to sell as it has an owners corp, potential buyers could turn around and ask if this modification came with a permit. As 3 bedders require 2 carparks if you a subdividing nowadays. So hence possibly why it is a 2 bedroom now.

then again I have seen full units build without a permit illegally and buyers don't even care.

9. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

Put in an air con to match the other bedrooms.

Include a built in wardrobe with sliding doors across the end wall near the staircase.

The door swinging into the room takes up too much space. Swing it the other way, opening against the wardrobe. Not ideal, but leaves more usable open space in the room.

And get council approval for the alterations.
    Marg

craigc likes this.
  10. laam

laam Active Member

Thanks for the alternative view, yes the wall would lineup with part of the stairs. That small bit of wall directly over the stairs is currently a balcony wall, so would need to be extended to roof height as part of the change. The wall along the side of the stairs is already roof high. If i was to change it to match the stair line the bedroom would be too narrow and create a bunch of wasted space towards the main bedroom door such that is wasn't worth it. So I agree it wont be as clean as if a new build, but functionally I don't see a problem.

Another question for all, is this minor internal change likely to require council planning approval?

EDIT: a few other replys while I was writing this. Thanks. I will contact council. I believe you could be correct on the carparking. It has two parks now, but only one in a garage.

11. Marg4000

Get all approvals. Council plus owners Corp. If, as you say, there is communal insurance then there must be some form of body corporate structure.
    Marg

12. craigc

craigc Well-Known Member

Agree with above, also for the sliding doors for the robe - make them mirrored which gives the appearance & feeling of greater space in smaller areas/rooms.

13. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

I'd go so far as to suggest a cavity slider for the bedroom door as it will not eat into the small space available.

Last edited: 2nd Feb, 2018
    Tom Rivera, laam, wylie and 2 others like this.
  14. MelBella

MelBella Member

Is it possible to move the washing machine to the kitchen (European laundry) and combine the downstairs toilet and laundry into a full bathroom? :)

15. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

Throwing an idea out, how about laundry under the staircase? Edit: looks like the toilet is there already

16. laam

laam Active Member

Not a bad idea but the kitchen is already very cramped, and at this stage looking for cheap as possible equity so we can update in the near future.

Thanks others the other comments, sliding door isnt a bad idea, might look at that

Put something up on Hipages so will hope for a bite

Anyone want to guess at the cost for the wall + door + robe

17. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

I like your proposal. Especially the cavity door and the robe on the short wall next to the stairs. It only needs to have a small amount of hanging space and a column of shelves.

18. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

My guess is between $2K and $3K inc labour

laam likes this.
  19. Tom Rivera

Tom Rivera Property Manager Business Member

I think this is a great idea, though I'm a little hesitant on including a wardrobe when the room is already small?

20. Marg4000

These days 3.6 x 2.7 is not overly small for a third bedroom. And any bedroom needs storage space.

Taking .6m off the length for a wardrobe leaves 3 x 2.7 clear space. A built in robe incorporating a section of shelves is a very efficient use of space for bedroom storage. Much more appealing to tenants as few own wardrobes these days.
    Marg